• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The small Spyderco Native with S30V stainless steel would be a good choice. Also, Cold Steel (no relation) has a large variety of knives with CTS-XHS super steel. You might consider the Talwar series as it cuts very well. Finally, common box cutters with carbon steel razors that break off.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    There is a lot that goes into a good knife for the job, steel, edge profile, grind, and so on, lots of threads about blade steels and sharpening, and the performance can vary wildly. I like good tools, have numerous knives that I think are fantastic for the couple hundred dollars I paid for them, but also know when simple, and inexpensive knives work, and own several. I always carry a pocket knife, and most of the time pair 2 knives in order to have the best for the job. The BEST knife I have for cutting loads of cardboard and packing tape is a cheap Milwaukee Fastback with good replaceable utility blades. Opens and closes with a flick, easy to replace blades, locks well enough for it's intention, and relatively compact and ergonomic. The blades have a thinner edge, and lower grind angle than a pocket knife can get away with, so they will out cut pretty much any folder. Blades are also heat treated hard, being there is less than an inch of unsupported blade, and if it does break it's replaceable, so it shears well when push cutting tough and abrasive material.

Milwaukee-Fastback-Compact-3.jpg

^^^^Right there!

I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you that "____________" knife is the best all-around use.

There just isn't one.

IF you are cutting paper, boxes and tape, those items (paper) will destroy an edge faster than anything.

Every day, I carry a Case "Mini Stockman" in my left front pocket.
    A "Social" knife is in my right pocket. (Usually a Benchmade Mini AFCK or a Spyderco Delica.)

That Milwaukee folding utility knife is what I use in/around the shop.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    buy a lansky blade medic to keep in your lunch box, touch up blade as needed, $10. I use my knife the same and keep 2-3 low end brand name knives in rotation and touch them up when I feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom