• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Ill try the belly band. I carry a pf9 so comfort is awesome with it. I barely know its there in my iwb.

Blaster thanks for advice, I hope people that can carry in MD do at all times possible. There are too many people that cant for us to snub a "granted right"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ill try the belly band. I carry a pf9 so comfort is awesome with it. I barely know its there in my iwb.

Blaster thanks for advice, I hope people that can carry in MD do at all times possible. There are too many people that cant for us to snub a "granted right"

You're welcome. I don't know it all, but I have had the opportunity to carry many different ways in many different situations and like to think I am in pretty good tune with different options and ways. I could probably give a 2 hour class on the subject I think.

As far as MD permits, I do know a couple who have them and do not carry at all, which I think is wrong in so many ways. They are just spitting in the face of the honest, hard working and deserving citizens here who cannot. And they get an earful from me every time I see them.

Again, you will find your carry mojo. That's half the fun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What I'm saying is that in a year, you'll get tired of carrying a gun everyday and won't carry it as often.

This is experience talking.

Personally I hate carrying a gun because its a pain in the ass. I do it because I know its a safety device. Same for seatbelts, it that stupid dinger didn't drive me crazy telling me to buckle up, I never would.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules to how you should carry. As others have said you will need to find what works for you. You need to find what works for you. For example a belly band or carry t-shirt will not work for me and I refuse to use Thunder Wear.

Concealed carry evolution happens to everyone. (This is the transition I went through over a 2 year period)
    Purchase a large gun (full size with duty style holster)
    Purchase a IWB holster for full size gun
    Purchase a mid size gun and IWB holster
    Purchase a better tuckable IWB holster for the mid sized gun
    Purchase a compact gun and several holsters
    Purchase a sub compact with IWB and Pocket holsters
    Realize that you don't need to carry a gun while visiting a friends house and decide
    to keep it in the car lock box instead.

I now carry a Ruger LCP on a regular basis. I have found that comfort is only second to safety in my choice of carry options. My recent purchase of a Smith & Wesson Shield 40 S&W has given me a new option but I rarely find the need to carry a full size gun now.

I want to add that my go to holster is made by Theis. http://theisholsters.com/

.40? Cmon bro?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As has been mentioned , particularily by Blaster , Dress Around the Gun.

The question isn't really about extreme concelment holsters , it's about making a decision that you place importance about being armed.

The real goal isn't nesecarily for you to be constantly dressed "skimpily" ( for lack of better term) , but for you to have a reasonably serious pistol(s) , and apear reasonably suitable for your location and situation.

Gym shorts and sweatpants are for the gym and actually working out. You can keep cool and be casual with jean shorts or hiking/ cargo shorts. Even in hot steamy weather a Hawaiian shirt , or square tail sports shirt blends in , and doesn't look out of place.

And while it won't work everywhere ( or one be one of my prefered methods ) , a non gun specific fanny pack doesn't scream *Gun* , it might make you seem retro computer nerd , but not particularily "Gun Inside".

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    generally sweats are not retained tightly enough around the waist to hold up an IWB holster with anything other than the lightest of guns.

I've gotten away with the ruger LCP, and a polish P-64, but that's with the draw string knotted tightly, and even then, both guns were more comfortable in the pockets than in the IWB holster.

I'd either not wear sweatpants of find yourself an aluminum or polymer framed gun, or something small enough that the weight is negligible, and then find a good pocket holster.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    As has been mentioned , particularily by Blaster , Dress Around the Gun.

The question isn't really about extreme concelment holsters , it's about making a decision that you place importance about being armed.

The real goal isn't nesecarily for you to be constantly dressed "skimpily" ( for lack of better term) , but for you to have a reasonably serious pistol(s) , and apear reasonably suitable for your location and situation.

Gym shorts and sweatpants are for the gym and actually working out. You can keep cool and be casual with jean shorts or hiking/ cargo shorts. Even in hot steamy weather a Hawaiian shirt , or square tail sports shirt blends in , and doesn't look out of place.

And while it won't work everywhere ( or one be one of my prefered methods ) , a non gun specific fanny pack doesn't scream *Gun* , it might make you seem retro computer nerd , but not particularily "Gun Inside".
    Today I did my first concealed carry in public using an 'outdoor' fanny pack.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    What I'm saying is that in a year, you'll get tired of carrying a gun everyday and won't carry it as often.

And the whole printing thing, people worry too much about it. Granted you don't want to carry a 1911 under a tight polyester t shirt. But, people bring more attention to their gun by fiddling with it all the time because they are worried about printing.
    There really is no good carry with sweats or gym shorts. Except maybe an LCP size type pistol not chambered hot, in the pocket. That's the thing about carrying, your life has to mold around the gun. You have to wear what's good for the gun and not you. I.e...you'll get frustrated and not carry with sweats to just run up the store and back.
    Another thing to consider, can you properly retain that weapon while your wearing gym shorts or sweats? Pretty flimsy at best if you're wrestling with someone.
    Throw it in a fanny pack carry it by the straps if you're worried about looking funny. And hopefully it's a larger pistol instead.
    Like others have said, you'll figure out eventually what's best for you.

Why not have the LCP hot? The super long double action pull is not going to happen by it's self accidentally, and with a pocket holster the trigger is completely inaccessible and safe from keys (who carries keys in the same pocket at a pistol?) or gremlins.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why not have the LCP hot? The super long double action pull is not going to happen by it's self accidentally, and with a pocket holster the trigger is completely inaccessible and safe from keys (who carries keys in the same pocket at a pistol?) or gremlins.

You shoot your shoot. What can I say. I don't have mine anymore because I hated it. I carry a real combat pistol.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I still pocket carry my PF9 when I leave the home. Even in my PJs. Since it's gotten cooler, my hooded DTRA jacket has some nice pockets and the PF9 fits in just right. I don't wear gym shorts when exercising, I wear cargo shorts. Works better than gym shorts and no one cares, they're shorts.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules to how you should carry. As others have said you will need to find what works for you. You need to find what works for you. For example a belly band or carry t-shirt will not work for me and I refuse to use Thunder Wear.

Concealed carry evolution happens to everyone. (This is the transition I went through over a 2 year period)
    Purchase a large gun (full size with duty style holster)
    Purchase a IWB holster for full size gun
    Purchase a mid size gun and IWB holster
    Purchase a better tuckable IWB holster for the mid sized gun
    Purchase a compact gun and several holsters
    Purchase a sub compact with IWB and Pocket holsters
    Realize that you don't need to carry a gun while visiting a friends house and decide
    to keep it in the car lock box instead.

I now carry a Ruger LCP on a regular basis. I have found that comfort is only second to safety in my choice of carry options. My recent purchase of a Smith & Wesson Shield 40 S&W has given me a new option but I rarely find the need to carry a full size gun now.

I want to add that my go to holster is made by Theis. http://theisholsters.com/

This. I went to carrying a Beretta 92FS to a G19 RTF to a S&W j-frame. If I carry a full-sized or compact I still carry the J-frame.

The RTF was just too abrasive in my skin IWB. When I get a G30S I'll carry it more often...

But being able to load/unload the S&W without worrying about bullet set-back is nice. Then again so is a small handgun that I can carry in a DeSantis pocket holster wherever I go is nice too.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I've been retarded, I mean retired for almost 15 yrs. I was carrying my G 26 until last year. Now I carry a Kahr P 9. I use a DeSantis Junior gun bag since I pulled the plug. The P 9 only holds 6 + 1 and my spare Mags hold 7 each. Much lighter than my Glock. Nobody except LEOs recognize the fanny pack. NEVER been questioned about it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I wish I had these problems.

The less privileged, honest, and law abiding citizens of this state can not legally defend themselves without threat of jail time, media crusification and permanent loss of a firearms rights.

But hey... lets talk about holsters, shorts, sweatpants and tight shirts, and continue to hope.

Yeah, I'm in tis same boat.:tdown:

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    OK so I have been carrying now for over a month and I have noticed a couple inconveniences so I want to ask here.

1) I never go anywhere without my gun now. Its like taking shoes.

2) I end up always changing out of sweats into pants that accommodate my IWB. Is there a solution for carrying while wearing sweats or gym shorts? ID rather not use a fanny pack, as I am a younger male and I think they are just an old man's murse.
    Fair question, but the Old Man Fannie Pack was a bit on the lets take it outside.
    Anyway I agree with several of the guys about dressing around the Gun.

I have several carry Holsters, Belt, Shoulder, Ankle etc. If all else fails I have several "Pocket Pistols" including a pair of Single Shot Pistols that fire either a .45 or .410 Shotgun Round.
    One of my favorites is a VZOR .32, old Chec. Weapon 8 Rounds, 9 if you keep one on the ready.
    It's small enough to slip un-noticed in your pocket, this is the one I like to carry while dressed down at OC.
    Numrich is Auctioning them at $199, they come with a certification sheet, Mechanical and Headspace, as well a test fire. then also come with a nice Shoulder Holster and unlike some others Numrich is still shipping to Md.

I still replace all the springs with a Wolf Kit, inexpensive and easy to do. Take it to the Range and fire a few hundred rounds, Ammo is inexpensive and I reload with a better stopping projectile.

I obviously favor the .32, I have a .25 small enough to put in your Sock, but you would be better to throw a stone at them.
    Keep several Pistols on hand, if all else fails get an Old Man Fanny Pack.

Stay Safe Brother,
    Eddie O

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Hey i have a question now. Where do the thugs and crackheads carry handguns if their pants are worn down over their asses in that clownish way???

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I've carried for about a year and a half now. And because I'm "on call" until 10:00 PM (and 24 hrs for some of my regular customers), and can technically work out of our personal vehicle for a lot of things, I carry almost all the time.

I first wanted to carry my 1911, but abandoned that pretty quickly, at least for concealed carry, here in MD.

I now usually carry a Ruger SR9C. But occasionally I carry my CZ82, just for variety, and because I really like the gun.

I carry with an IWB holster, low, @ 3:00. The one for the SR9C is a Thies holster. And the biggest problem with it is that it's so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. I've had to throw on the brakes and go back to the truck more than once when going into a place where firearms are prohibited.

The IWB holster for my CZ82 was a cheaper one. (But the only decent one I could find for it. Thies doesn't make one for the CZ82.) It's not quite as comfortable, but easily in the "acceptable" range. (And I'm still "breaking it in".)

I wear jeans 90% of the time. And occasionally dress slacks. Both holsters work fine. And I don't even have to go "one size up". (Even better now that I've lost weight.)

I do not put the belt through the clips of the holster. But the waistband of the pants gives plenty of support. And it's not as conspicuous, as having them over the belt.

Like others, I never wear sweats. Just can't bring myself to do it. Not even to Walmart!

I normally wear a polo shirt (summer) or a button down the front (winter). Both shirts, and even tee shirts, conceal very well with my holsters.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If I could carry I think it would be my S&W 642. Light and safe enough to toss in any pocket. I'd be OK with 5 rounds. Beats the hell out of none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom