• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Not me, but my great grandfather used to race them while living in South Baltimore way back when. I have one of his 500 mile race winning trophy from 1931.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm fascinated by their ability to navigate.
    Also would like to hear some squab recipes :)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Someone on here (in Carroll co I think) found a banded pigeon on their deck and tracked down the owner in Baltimore.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Raised pigeons as a boy as well. Just be aware, if you raise homers, which would be your racing birds, you cannot move with them. They always go back home. I think... and it has been a while, that if they mate in their new home they may stick around. Like I said it's been awhile.

There are also supplies required, specialized feeding bins, and watering bins.

The good news, is that Ralston Purina has "Pigeon Chow". ;)

Happy to consult with you on requirements for housing etc.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't know much about pigeons.

But I'm pretty sure you can carry them down the street, openly, and not get stopped by da POPO.

:D

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I don't know much about pigeons.

But I'm pretty sure you can carry them down the street, openly, and not get stopped by da POPO.

:D

Open pigeon carry? :rolleyes:

I have done that before. As kids we used to grab one, get on our bikes, ride fast and then launch them........ They would fly off like guided missiles....

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    My uncle is a BIG pigeon flyer and a very good man. He started while watching my grandfather who was already racing pigeons before my uncle was born over 80 years ago. He races consistantly (and wins)and also sells the offspring from his breeders to flyers from around the world. My uncles pigeons come first in his life and are a lot of responsibility to do it the right way. Their food, housing(coops) and vaccinations are second to none. He is/has always been willing to teach anyone with an interest in the sport the right and winning ways to go about it. If you would ask any respectable pigeon flyer/breeder in ANY of the us pigeon clubs who would be one of the better flyers/breeders in the sport I would bet you that HE would be in the top 5 names that they would mention to you. I used tell people that would ask me "what is pigeon racing" and who is he? I would tell them, like D. Wayne Lucas is to the horse racing sport my uncle is to the racing pigeon sport.
    My best memories as a child were spending time with my grandfather and uncle watching the birds come in on race day. Back in the day it really was quite the happening at the family house. There were dozens of people there.

I miss those days

Feb 24, 2017
    What do you want to know? I raised pigeons with my brother for years as kids. He still raises and races out of South Baltimore.

Paul

Everything, lol. Id like to raise the fancier ones, or maybe the tumblers. Id settle for homers though. What does one need to get started? How to build a coop? What do they eat? Do the require a vet, or meds? Where can I buy them? Lots of noob questions.

Feb 24, 2017
    My uncle is a BIG pigeon flyer and a very good man. He started while watching my grandfather who was already racing pigeons before my uncle was born over 80 years ago. He races consistantly (and wins)and also sells the offspring from his breeders to flyers from around the world. My uncles pigeons come first in his life and are a lot of responsibility to do it the right way. Their food, housing(coops) and vaccinations are second to none. He is/has always been willing to teach anyone with an interest in the sport the right and winning ways to go about it. If you would ask any respectable pigeon flyer/breeder in ANY of the us pigeon clubs who would be one of the better flyers/breeders in the sport I would bet you that HE would be in the top 5 names that they would mention to you. I used tell people that would ask me "what is pigeon racing" and who is he? I would tell them, like D. Wayne Lucas is to the horse racing sport my uncle is to the racing pigeon sport.
    My best memories as a child were spending time with my grandfather and uncle watching the birds come in on race day. Back in the day it really was quite the happening at the family house. There were dozens of people there.

I miss those days

Id love to meet your uncle and soak up his knowlege.

Feb 24, 2017
    Raised pigeons as a boy as well. Just be aware, if you raise homers, which would be your racing birds, you cannot move with them. They always go back home. I think... and it has been a while, that if they mate in their new home they may stick around. Like I said it's been awhile.

There are also supplies required, specialized feeding bins, and watering bins.

The good news, is that Ralston Purina has "Pigeon Chow". ;)

Happy to consult with you on requirements for housing etc.

Yes! That would be awesome. I dont want a gigantic coop, just enough to house maybe 5-10 to start.

Charlie K.

Feb 3, 2013
    Baltimore
    My father was big into pigeons. It was a hobby he got into as a kid.
    I was just getting interested in the sport with him when he died. I was 17 at the time. I kept up the hobby for several years after he passed but as a teenaged kid other things got my attention and I sold them off. I was a member of the Hamilton RP Club as was dad. It was also an expensive hobby as feed and training were not cheap and to enter birds in the race was $$$.

Charlie

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    My uncle flew in the old concourse pigeon club and still flies in the south Baltimore pigeon fanciers club(south baltimore). It does take a little $ to enter the races and more $$ for the "pools". However, the rewards for getting your bird first(on the BIG races) or ahead of the others in your "pool" is very lucrative. He has always done well, however, age is no ones friend but he would still do it if he had to pay and didn't win a dime!

Charlie K.

Feb 3, 2013
    Baltimore
    My uncle flew in the old concourse pigeon club and still flies in the south Baltimore pigeon fanciers club(south baltimore). It does take a little $ to enter the races and more $$ for the "pools". However, the rewards for getting your bird first(on the BIG races) or ahead of the others in your "pool" is very lucrative. He has always done well, however, age is no ones friend but he would still do it if he had to pay and didn't win a dime!

Your Uncle probably knew my dad. The best I did in a race was third. I came in like sixth once and had the 5.00 pick bird, Big bucks. But the money went back to my birds and went fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom