• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm wondering if anyone has thought through this issue or ever asked the question of the BATFE.

A few months ago, I purchased a Finnish Mosin P-27 that was assembled at Arms Depot Number 1 (AV1). By pulling the action out of the stock, I can see that the rifle was built on a Sestroryetsk receiver. However, I have several other Finnish Mosins in my collection that have scrubbed tangs, so it is impossible to determine who made the receiver on which the rifle was built. Among others fitting this description, I have a Model 1891 and a Model 1927, both with Tikka barrels and assembled at one of the arms depots, a Model 1928 assembled for the Civil Guard by Sako and a Sk.Y M39 assembled for the Civil Guard by Sako.

We all know that the receiver is the "firearm" under federal law. An 03 FFL's bound book requires the entry of the "Manufacturer and/or importer". You understand my predicament . . ..

It is sometimes impossible to determine who manufactured a Finnish Mosin, so is there a "right" way to handle Finnish Mosins? If the receiver tang is scrubbed and the rifle is import marked, should the entry be the importer? What if you have a rifle that is not import marked? Very confusing.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Why not simplify it and list the importer? If it came from CAI in Vermont, or a similar place, just list the importer. That's what I did for my Tokarev TT-C. It came into the country through PW Arms.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Why not simplify it and list the importer? If it came from CAI in Vermont, or a similar place, just list the importer. That's what I did for my Tokarev TT-C. It came into the country through PW Arms.

That works if it's import marked, but not all are import marked. I guess that's probably the best default approach and if there is no import mark, list the receiver manufacturer (or if scrubbed, the barrel maker).

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Did you use your C&R to purchase said firearms?
    Did you get a receipt? It should have info on there as to the manufacturer List that and keep the receipt.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Asked the question years ago. Answer I got from the FTB (Firearms technology branch) was to list it by whoever put the final serial number on it. If the Finns scrubbed it and re-stamped the barrel shank with an arsenal and serial, that's what you go by.

On a similar topic, if the weapon was produced with no serial number, I was told to enter "NSN" in the serial # box unless assigned one by an importer. (So pre-68 non-serialized weapons)

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Did you use your C&R to purchase said firearms?
    Did you get a receipt? It should have info on there as to the manufacturer List that and keep the receipt.

I held an 03 FFL at the time I acquired it or I wouldn't be worried about how to enter it into my bound book. Most receipts, if one is ever issued, don't contain the correct information. That is not something on which I'd rely. Most invoices from auction companies list the Lot Number and whatever description that had in their catalog (which is frequently wrong). I try to get bills of sale from face to face purchases, but I rarely do so with out-of-state sellers. That's just not a common practice. I haven't purchased any firearms locally, face to face, but most online dealers don't issue a receipt that tracks a bound book entry.

I think the safest approach is to list the importer when the receiver tang is scrubbed. I hate the format of the bound book because it can be difficult to recognize the firearm to which the entry relates. For example, let's say that I purchase a scrubbed Model 1891 with a Tikka barrel that was imported by Century. My bound book would show:

CAI, Georgia, VT
    Model 1891
    [S/N]
    Rifle
    7.62x54R
    [Date of acquisition]
    [Seller info]

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Asked the question years ago. Answer I got from the FTB (Firearms technology branch) was to list it by whoever put the final serial number on it. If the Finns scrubbed it and re-stamped the barrel shank with an arsenal and serial, that's what you go by.

On a similar topic, if the weapon was produced with no serial number, I was told to enter "NSN" in the serial # box unless assigned one by an importer. (So pre-68 non-serialized weapons)

That also sounds reasonable. My guess is that the BATFE isn't going to raise a stink over such nuances as long as you show the S/N and Seller info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom