• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    99.995% of Marylanders have no idea what the HPRB is or does. Of those, probably 50% want it gone b/c in its current incarnation, it has the temerity to comply with the actual law as interpreted by the Woollard Decision court. That makes for a sh*t tempest in a dollhouse teapot. Unfortunately.

99.995% of MD legislators have no idea what the HPRB is or does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Is there any reason for MDSP not to appeal any and all HPRB favorable decisions?

and yup, mo money! like the HQL scheme.

Why wouldn't MSP take it to ALJ if they get overturned by HPRB? De Novo hearing. I actually think this is worse than 86ing the HPRB. Now you give MSP two bites at the Apple.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Why wouldn't MSP take it to ALJ if they get overturned by HPRB? De Novo hearing. I actually think this is worse than 86ing the HPRB. Now you give MSP two bites at the Apple.

Msp won’t be making the decision, the asst attorney general will. He’s be working 24/7 on just this. Human resources, abuse of discretion by HGRB are going to be factors. Can anyone say what the status of this bill?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Msp won’t be making the decision, the asst attorney general will. He’s be working 24/7 on just this. Human resources, abuse of discretion by HGRB are going to be factors. Can anyone say what the status of this bill?

Here is the Senate bill, as amended by the JPR committee. The House bill has already passed the House. The Senate version has passed second reader.

Attachments

• SB741 HPRB JPR amendments.pdf
      114.3 KB · Views: 136

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Actually, Frosh's folks won't. The Secretary (i,e, MSP), or the Applicant (or existing Holder) are the only parties with standing to appeal under this bill as amended.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Is an ALJ decision binding as case law would be, or would that require an appeal to and decision at the Circuit Court level ? It seems to be yet another way for the antis to put political pressure on the HPRB by using an ALJ as a threat as they are political appointments, or are they ?

An ALJ decision, after a trial before the ALJ, is appeallable to the circuit court. However, the corcuit ct does not have the authority tomover turn the decision unless it is based on application of wrong law, missinterpreterped the riht law, or the ALJ abused his or her discretion. If the ALJ ruled within the confines of the law, the circuit ct judge has to affirm.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    An ALJ decision, after a trial before the ALJ, is appeallable to the circuit court. However, the corcuit ct does not have the authority tomover turn the decision unless it is based on application of wrong law, missinterpreterped the riht law, or the ALJ abused his or her discretion. If the ALJ ruled within the confines of the law, the circuit ct judge has to affirm.

So the LD would have to prove absence of G&S under current law instead of the obsolete voodoo quasi-legal mumbo-jumbo they've clinging to so bitterly? If so, I foresee just as many MSP Circuit appeals as before. I don't think they'd want to chance an open, honest hearing that wasn't stacked in their favor that would establish a LEGAL PRECEDENT against them.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If I remember right they go into conference to reconcile differences and then it goes back to a vote. I can't remember if there are readings, or how many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom