• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I am looking for a rifle in 223/556 caliber that shoots close to 1MOA with factory ammo that’s under $1k (currently only shoot at 100yard, maybe under 300 in the future).

Recently I am seeing the RPR in 5.56 for only $799.00, that’s a pretty good price to me.

I am ok with semi or Bolt and I am liking the look of the RPR.

However, I would love to have a “precision” or SPR AR15.

What are your suggestions? If you have experience of the RPR in 556, I would like to hear from you.

It’s kind of a pain due to state law that I need bull barrel on semi.

Thanks in advance!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    For 100-300 yards I don't see why you would spend that much money when a regular AR can do that.

I've been thinking about selling or trading my SPR. I just don't see the point of it anymore. Too big when a regular AR works just as good.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    How about buying the RPR... and a stripped lower.

I like my RPR for the range, everything about it is simpler and easier, and many places have firing restrictions that keep the semi down... But the lower is insurance. You can always build it up later.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    For 100-300 yards I don't see why you would spend that much money when a regular AR can do that.

I've been thinking about selling or trading my SPR. I just don't see the point of it anymore. Too big when a regular AR works just as good.

Apparently my smith and Wesson 15X can’t get near that. I am not a great shot but I am not a newbies either.

What do you have for sale?

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    How about buying the RPR... and a stripped lower.

I like my RPR for the range, everything about it is simpler and easier, and many places have firing restrictions that keep the semi down... But the lower is insurance. You can always build it up later.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Lowers, I got a few and I think I am good for now. I just want something that in more accurate and eats factory 223 with a grouping 1-2” at 100yard.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Apparently my smith and Wesson 15X can’t get near that. I am not a great shot but I am not a newbies either.

What do you have for sale?

I can make a Mosin Nagant hit steel at 200 yards, but I guess it depends what you are looking for. For me, I just want to make decently accurate hits. Mostly all AR's can do that, although a good trigger upgrade and free float of the barrel to prevent POI shift can help. Also, you need to be using good match grade ammunition if you want to maximize your accuracy, which can be $1/round if you aren't reloading. Magnification can help too, but too much magnification can hurt you at these closer ranges.

I don't worry about perfect 1 MOA groups all the time anymore. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just don't think you need to spend all of that money unless you REALLY feel the need to be slightly more accurate. But even then, who cares? I honestly only value that my rifle can shoot close to 1MOA just so I know it's accurate enough to make hits at long ranges. If I was only shooting 100yards, I wouldn't even care if it was a 4 MOA rifle. That's 4", which is plenty accurate. However, that same 4 MOA accuracy at 800 yards is 32", assuming my math is correct, which increases the odds for a miss dramatically compared to 1MOA accuracy at 800y which would be 8". That's how I value 1MOA accuracy.

FWIW, my long range rifle is a regular $300 hunting rifle with a thin barrel that I free floated by shaving the plastic stock down. You don't need to spend a ton a money.

Just my philosophy, and I'm not the greatest shooter either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom