• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Once again, you guys are great. Very informative. I went to the range today and apparently when i assembled this from cleaning, the op rod was not connected to the bolt. Geez. Garands were not my era so back home to look at videos. Op rod spring out, oprod to the side, bolt inserted, op rod connected, back to stand by. But no shooting of the rifle today...shot pistol on steel. I wanted to see if taking apart and reassembling the rear sight helped. I can try another stock. I could put this in the back of the safe but it will get passed on to another shooter at some point so i do want to get this resolved. I like this site a lot, and particularly the cr section. Smart guys and gals with good knowledge willing to help. Its a very nice community and this is one of the reasons i started shooting 57 years ago. By the time i was in HS the rifle team was a little weird to the track team and wrestlers, but i liked that.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Took this garand to the range. Still shooting right wihout big front sight adjustment. Took some photos of the sights and sent an email to CMP. I have had it 5-7 years, so we shall see. But it is FUN.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    CMP responded to y emails. The head armorer believes barrel no indexed properly. If too tight, needs replacement. If too loose can be tightened. I am the cmp buyer and have had it for 5 or sonyears and never shot it. I am asking if they will repair at no cost as it left cmp in this condition. Reasonable request?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    CMP responded to y emails. The head armorer believes barrel no indexed properly. If too tight, needs replacement. If too loose can be tightened. I am the cmp buyer and have had it for 5 or sonyears and never shot it. I am asking if they will repair at no cost as it left cmp in this condition. Reasonable request?

As long as it has not been messed with and it left CMP that way, I think it is a reasonable request. Worst case, all they can do is say no and you would have to pay for the repair. Since you are the original purchaser, I would certainly believe they would take care of it.

If they decide to charge for the replacement/repair and it were my decision, I would contact Charlie Maloney. His contact info is: www.charliemaloney.com
    410-744-7217

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    As long as it has not been messed with and it left CMP that way, I think it is a reasonable request. Worst case, all they can do is say no and you would have to pay for the repair. Since you are the original purchaser, I would certainly believe they would take care of it.

If they decide to charge for the replacement/repair and it were my decision, I would contact Charlie Maloney. His contact info is: www.charliemaloney.com
    410-744-7217

I am biased but i thought the request was reasonable. They can tell if its been tampered with. Have not heard back. But they do respond. Dug the papers out and i received this 9/14. Never shot it, never messed with it. Just put it away. So we shall see. I know i received it in this exact condition. Its a good reason to shoot what you buy when you take possession. Thanks for responding.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unless it is illegal or immoral, no request is unreasonable. I don’t think they will honor it though. Yes, you may be the original buyer, but it has been 4 years. CMP is pretty good, but most places wouldn’t warranty anything for more than maybe a year at best.

So I wouldn’t expect them to agree to fix it at no cost. They might, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Also no, they can’t be sure it wasn’t messed with, even if you are the original buyer.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Call them 70 years from now and see if they will still stand behind their product
    This is a surplus rifle, not newly manufactured

I have no experience with S&W, Ruger or Taurus but, I know Leupold stands behind their product, lifetime guarantee, even if you are not the original purchaser!

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The difference between this situation and a lifetime warranty is that this rifle left CMP apparently improperly indexed. And these rifles are not sold merely as surplus; they are intended to be shot and the rifle should not have left in this condition unless it is within spec. It did not break from use, it was not altered. My error for not shooting it immediatly, but i did not. As i wrote, CMP if it inspect3d this rifle could tell if it was adjusted or altered or abused. But if it left the shop this way, they should fix it it. IMHO. They are saying it might need a new $200 barrel if the barrel is too tight versus too loose. That plus the gunsmithing adds up.

Orlando

Read CMP website, only guarantee is rifle will fire, which is does. If OP would have contacted them when he received the rifle with issue I see no problem with them fixing it even if warranty doesn't cover that issue but 4 years later?
    CMP does have good customer service , even though they don't have to cover it they might.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The difference between this situation and a lifetime warranty is that this rifle left CMP apparently improperly indexed. And these rifles are not sold merely as surplus; they are intended to be shot and the rifle should not have left in this condition unless it is within spec. It did not break from use, it was not altered. My error for not shooting it immediatly, but i did not. As i wrote, CMP if it inspect3d this rifle could tell if it was adjusted or altered or abused. But if it left the shop this way, they should fix it it. IMHO. They are saying it might need a new $200 barrel if the barrel is too tight versus too loose. That plus the gunsmithing adds up.

I suspected that they might not fix it for free but, it was worth a shot. As I said earlier, I would take it to Charlie Maloney. Charlie knows his stuff. He will do a full inspection while you are there so that you know exactly what is what. Yes, you have to pay him but, you know you are getting one of the top guys still living in the country to do the work on it. His turn around time is a LOT faster than CMP! He is located in Catonsville.

www.charliemaloney.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom