Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 14th, 2020, 03:08 PM #1

MSP Handgun Transfer?

I have never transferred a handgun at a MSP barracks. How does the process work and is it easy? Do they have set days of the week and hours they will process? Do they hold the gun until the buyer's paperwork has cleared? Or does the seller have to bring the gun back for the final transfer? I am trying to meet the buyer half way but don't want to keep going back and forth. Thank you for your help.
wade234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:21 PM #2

Best to call the barracks you’re considering using And get clarity around hours and constraints (don’t believe the MSP can accept cash any longer).

I transferred one pistol in 2013 at the Frederick Barracks to a family member. The duty officer wasn’t a firearm guy (needed help with the form) but it went smoothly enough. We only went to the barracks one time. I kept possession of the firearm and waited the proscribed 8 days before transferring

LEAVE THE FIREARM IN THE CAR & make sure you transported it in accordance with 4-203.
Shamr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:48 PM #3
Meh

Meh

I've only done MSP transfers at 4 different barracks, so take this for what is worth.

How fast and smooth it goes depends mostly on the trooper handling the request and what else is going on. All but one of the times, I had a good experience and was treated with courtesy and professionalism. Usually done in 30min or less. The one bad experience...it was obvious the trooper did not want to do it, and also had a big car wreck he was monitoring, so it took a couple of hours... I believe the barracks are suppose to perform this service at any time and day, but as suggested, it would not be a bad idea to call ahead.

Buyer should fill out the paperwork beforehand. Use the person-to-person (private) transfer version on the site. The seller can give the buyer the information the buyer will need (seller's driver's lic #, SSN, address, etc.) to complete the form ahead of time if the seller feels comfortable, else the seller should be able to provide it at the barracks (though not 100% - I've always provided ahead of time.) Once submitted, the buyer should retain the application number and PIN - you'll need these at the barracks. Also bring a credit card for the processing fee.

Meet at the barracks. Leave the firearm in your trunk. It helps to have it cleared (e.g. mag out, slide locked back.). It's been helpful to know the make, model number and barrel length.

Tell the desk trooper you want to conduct a firearms transfer. The trooper will give you instructions and collect application number, PIN, HQL, driver's licenses, etc. The trooper will do some paperwork. Eventually, the trooper will ask to go to the weapon and record some information, including the serial number. You'll wait around some more. Someone will have to pay the transfer fee with a credit card at some point. Once done, the trooper will return everything and instruct you to wait until the NOT DISAPPROVED email before finishing the transfer (which you do online following the link in the email.)

After the 7 day wait period, you will get an email from MSP saying you can complete the transfer. Meet the buyer, hand over the firearm, click on link on the email to date mark the transfer as complete.

Hope this helps.
bitterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 05:49 PM #4

Complete the 77r online prior to going to barracks. Have app and PIN number ready. Fee will e by credit card. Leave gun in car, trooper will probably get it themselves.
basscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:00 PM #5

Thank you for all the information, it was very helpful. I tried to call but could not get a real person to answer and email did not work. It sounds like more hassle than I have time to deal with after driving to meet the person. Think I might just have local FFL I normally use handle the transfer.
wade234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:12 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade234 View Post
Thank you for all the information, it was very helpful. I tried to call but could not get a real person to answer and email did not work. It sounds like more hassle than I have time to deal with after driving to meet the person. Think I might just have local FFL I normally use handle the transfer.
I've done 3 transfers at the Bel Air Barrack. I didn't call ahead, just showed up. I believe they were all late afternoon/early evening and had no problems. probably 20-30 minutes and it'll probably be quicker now that you do the online part ahead of time. It was really not a problem.
Member-Mount Washington Rod & Gun Club
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:18 PM #7

Glen Burnie barrack gets a lot of action and they are pretty well versed in how the process works. Some troopers will ask you to bring in the CASED gun in instead of going out to get it. The only time I have had to wait was when they were busy with repair notice inspections. Calling ahead is always worthwhile in case they are shorthanded that day.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:47 PM #8
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

I've done one at Bel Air, two at Glen Burnie and one at Forestville. Professional, courteous, reasonably fast all 4 times. Forestville asked the seller to bring the gun in (he is a PG cop who was about to start shift and was in uniform and had his service weapon, lol). It gets better. While the Sgt was working on our paperwork, a lady came in with a repair order and the guy I bought the gun from went out and signed off on the repair order so the Sgt didn't have to go outside.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 07:11 PM #9
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkenny View Post
I've only done MSP transfers at 4 different barracks, so take this for what is worth.

How fast and smooth it goes depends mostly on the trooper handling the request and what else is going on. All but one of the times, I had a good experience and was treated with courtesy and professionalism. Usually done in 30min or less. The one bad experience...it was obvious the trooper did not want to do it, and also had a big car wreck he was monitoring, so it took a couple of hours... I believe the barracks are suppose to perform this service at any time and day, but as suggested, it would not be a bad idea to call ahead.

Buyer should fill out the paperwork beforehand. Use the person-to-person (private) transfer version on the site. The seller can give the buyer the information the buyer will need (seller's driver's lic #, SSN, address, etc.) to complete the form ahead of time if the seller feels comfortable, else the seller should be able to provide it at the barracks (though not 100% - I've always provided ahead of time.) Once submitted, the buyer should retain the application number and PIN - you'll need these at the barracks. Also bring a credit card for the processing fee.

Meet at the barracks. Leave the firearm in your trunk. It helps to have it cleared (e.g. mag out, slide locked back.). It's been helpful to know the make, model number and barrel length.

Tell the desk trooper you want to conduct a firearms transfer. The trooper will give you instructions and collect application number, PIN, HQL, driver's licenses, etc. The trooper will do some paperwork. Eventually, the trooper will ask to go to the weapon and record some information, including the serial number. You'll wait around some more. Someone will have to pay the transfer fee with a credit card at some point. Once done, the trooper will return everything and instruct you to wait until the NOT DISAPPROVED email before finishing the transfer (which you do online following the link in the email.)

After the 7 day wait period, you will get an email from MSP saying you can complete the transfer. Meet the buyer, hand over the firearm, click on link on the email to date mark the transfer as complete.

Hope this helps.

All this!

Only thing I would add is be prepared to wait - you will be 4th in priority behind the woman in tears, the the mexican yelling something loco in Spanish, and the troopers bladder. Eventually he will come back and be like "you want to do what again?" Ask me how I know.

The bold is very important.

ETA: I would definitely not go to the barracks on a Fri, Sat, Sunday, any full moon, or when Dunkin is having a sale.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 07:14 PM #10

I'm heading to Glen Burnie tomorrow, hoping it will be as smoothe as the first time. I think I will probably call ahead to make sure they aren't having any problems.
ArmedInMd is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues