Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 20th, 2020, 03:54 PM #1

Large Rifle vs Large Rifle MAGNUM

I suppose the easy way to test this is to try it against a known load but I'm curious what others have found if they tried it.

I'm looking to reload my 300 win mag and i found I don't have enough magnum primers to do a load test. I have enough non-magnum to go around for a small village though HAHA.

What effects can I expect in using large rifle instead of large rifle magnum primers? I "assume" it's very similar but i've never tested it. I've seen some loads that list magnum primers in non "magnum" rifles though i never tried this combo.

I'm not going to hold anyone liable for actions blah blah blah. Nor should anyone else try it saying they saw it online.. etc etc.

I'm going to wait for magnum primers but what are the realistic potential outcomes? Lower FPS, pipe bomb... unicorns farting rainbows?
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:19 PM #2

Hang fires, lower pressures and velocity, failure to ignite, would be more common. I like the coolest primer that will get the job done. Palma shooters will use small rifle primer brass to set off 46 grains of varget. But...in cool weather its iffy. But with a 300 win mag, that's lots of slow powder. I'd use magnum.
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:22 PM #3
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

I will let you know next Saturday.
I am loading a bunch of 6.5 Grendel and will be experimenting with a dozen small rifle primers vs the small rifle magnum primers across my chrono on Friday afternoon. Everything else will be identical for the experiment.
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:27 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
I will let you know next Saturday.
I am loading a bunch of 6.5 Grendel and will be experimenting with a dozen small rifle primers vs the small rifle magnum primers across my chrono on Friday afternoon. Everything else will be identical for the experiment.
i'm not sure how to test the hang fires, other than using slow motion recording on your phone. pointing it at the trigger finger and listening for the bang bang noise. very crude but might work.

i'm interested in FPS and POI shifts. If they are the same or different but consistent... meh.
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:29 PM #5

for reference
Attached Images

Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 06:30 PM #6

Primers should be able to ignite all the powder space simultaneously as much as possible not just the powder that has accumulated near the flash hole. In a low order of ignition the flash may only penetrate the powder column so far which means in turn it will take grains of powder burning to completely ignite the rest of the charge. In a large case the problems will be inconsistent velocity, poor accuracy or an occasional hang-fire in a very large case which can also lead to detonation.
Something else to consider is that a certain amount of thermal energy is lost in what may be considered large cartridge cases like 3006 and up due to the size of the case and the cooling effect with contact of the chamber walls.
Primer efficiency is determined by the powder composition and granulation of the powder, volume and shape of the cartridge and heat generated by the explosion of the priming compound. It is also known that strong primers in small cases can be the cause of poor accuracy, high and erratic pressures with some but not all powders 4759 being one of them which is why its popularity I suspect is on the decrease if its even manufactured anymore.

I used 4320 in a Remington magnum case with LR primers and experienced the above some years ago. The chamber however did not headspace on the shoulder but entirely on the belt which may have been contributory to the problem to a certain degree. Accuracy was affected until the rifle became warmed and then settled down but never satisfactorily. Obtaining WLRM's solved the problem for me.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 11:03 PM #7

Use magnum primers.

Good Luck

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 01:18 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
Hang fires, lower pressures and velocity, failure to ignite, would be more common. I like the coolest primer that will get the job done. Palma shooters will use small rifle primer brass to set off 46 grains of varget. But...in cool weather its iffy. But with a 300 win mag, that's lots of slow powder. I'd use magnum.

I load a few thousand 300 Win Mag rounds each year, Only one load uses a mag primer.
Please post the data that shows what you are posting please.
Postell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:22 AM #9

I posted some info over on the CMP Forums (I will put it here later), but testing found that going from the coolest LR primer to the hottest LR Magnum, upped the pressure by 12,800 psi.

Basically your data from using LR primers will be at best worthless, and at worst dangerous, when switching to Magnum primers.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 09:21 AM #10

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I posted some info over on the CMP Forums (I will put it here later), but testing found that going from the coolest LR primer to the hottest LR Magnum, upped the pressure by 12,800 psi.

Basically your data from using LR primers will be at best worthless, and at worst dangerous, when switching to Magnum primers.
Yep, definitely cannot switch primers on an established load without expecting a marked change in performance.

Magnum primers are usually recommended for large capacity cartridges using slower powders, but that is a recommendation, not a law. Regarding whether they are needed or not, one can discuss theory all you like, but without testing, you just don't know.

I found that Winchester standard Large Rifle primers were just a little hot, and I could not get my .308's SD numbers down with them. CCI 200 and Fed 210s worked fine. Using hotter or magnum primers in loads that do not need them can be detrimental to performance, in terms of accuracy or consistent velocities.

I had a 6.5-300 Weatherby that burned 86 grains of H870, or almost that much Retumbo. In theory, these loads clearly REQUIRE a magnum primer, but my best accuracy and SD numbers came with using standard LR primers.

Once one gets their head around the fact that magnum and standard primers cannot literally be interchanged without working up a load, safety concerns are no longer an issue and it depends on the desired performance. Cold weather and slow powders in big cases typically call for magnum primers, but it will depend on your load.

Military primers, like CCI#34 and #41, in addition to their slightly harder cup, are more like magnum primers in brisiance, to enhance all-weather reliability.
Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. If you simply look at the way they conduct themselves, you can understand why they fear and hate armed citizens and the grave risk citizens present to the increasingly corrupt. The assault on gun owners and the Constitution/BoR has nothing to do with street-level crime and you will not “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading