• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I received a service grade out of this last batch, and it seemed like a put-together. It was in average shape overall for its grade, but the wear patterns on major parts didn't seem to match up, and it had a new CMP walnut stock. With a little stock work and a better-timed gas cylinder lock, it should make a very decent target rifle. It's likely CMP's stock of "out of the crate" service grades is running very low and it takes time to identity serviceable components and build them into good whole rifles. Plus, from what I've read, a lot of new people have discovered CMP in the past few years, and demand for Garands has gone way up. Their stand down time for Garand sales will probably be long enough to build up stock that could service a buying burst like they saw with the previous batch.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    M1 Garand

I got mine a couple weeks ago from CMP and it looks like it was put together from parts. The wood is is old with plenty of character. It has two different stenciled numbers from being in different armories over the years. The trigger assembly looks new, there is no wear on any of the parts and the safety is very stiff.
    The receiver is Springfield, the bolt is marked HRA.
    I don't care - I finally have my M1 Garand and couldn't be happier. I took it to the range at AGC this last weekend and shot my handloads out of it and couldn't stop smiling like a fool.
    Get one while you can.

CoulReese

Sep 28, 2016
    I put in an order as soon as I saw that most of the SGs leaving the CMP were getting new wood, which was an ominous sign that they were getting close to the bottom of the crate. Got my latest M1 Garand rifle last week, and it was beautiful. Now I'm wishing I'd ordered 2. This could just be a lull until the find some more someplace, but it could be a long wait.

Seems like it is getting harder to find just about any surplus rifle anymore from dealers.

fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    "Seems like it is getting harder to find just about any surplus rifle anymore from dealers."
    Classic Arms is my favorite. You can look at their C&R page and count the "in stock" much faster than the "out of stock"

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    That's the info I wanted to hear. The take markings I think said 63 for the barrel perhaps? There is a marking of 1 83 on barrel. I assumed is meant 1983. I'm a novice. I can send the complete stamping g from the barrel when I get home.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Here's the exact markings from the barrel
    SA 6535448 1 83 Y10 P M

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    No Garand barrels were manufactured in that late. The 8 is probably a "6" so would have been made in 63
    I thought that. The tag said 63 as well. But the stamping on the barrel, I swear says 83. I'll take another look when I get it out in a day or two

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    My order got to Anniston on Sept 19. Just got an email today saying they received the order which is "on backorder at least 6 months".

I hope the CMP still exists in 6 months..... : (

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    My order was postmarked 9/21. Hope to be hearing from them soon. But 6 months - Wow. If HRC gets elected the CMP probably won't exist in 6 months.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I got a letter today from the CMP stating that because my order was received on October 5 it cannot be filled at this time. I had filled it out on the 27th and mailed the next day though it was late in the day when I left it at the post office. That night I seen that they cut off orders on the 28th so I had just a hope and prayer it would go through. The letter goes on to say that they "have over 2000 rifles currently on backorder" and once caught up they will accept orders again but no time table is stated. My order was with the letter also so I will have to resubmit it once they are available again.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I got a letter today from the CMP stating that because my order was received on October 5 it cannot be filled at this time. I had filled it out on the 27th and mailed the next day though it was late in the day when I left it at the post office. That night I seen that they cut off orders on the 28th so I had just a hope and prayer it would go through. The letter goes on to say that they "have over 2000 rifles currently on backorder" and once caught up they will accept orders again but no time table is stated. My order was with the letter also so I will have to resubmit it once they are available again.

2000 on BO.; holy s--t. I'm pretty sure my order made it under the wire but I may be to old to shoot it if they ever get around to me. What I'd really like to see is CMP start to produce some special grades in 308. If anyone out there in MD Shooter land has one to part with let me know.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Clifjr?..

Maybe this ?..Donno..but a thought. Last thing I do every night is read the WTS thread. Remembered your post...I don't know the seller but his add didn't look at all bad. It appears from his pics his rifle has a lockbar sight on it.
    Specs/pics and price on the rifle would be worth my interest in the rifle if I was in the market
    Like I said I don't know the seller. Just a 'heads-up' to you.

Rob257

https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=30014

Orlando

Maybe this ?..Donno..but a thought. Last thing I do every night is read the WTS thread. Remembered your post...I don't know the seller but his add didn't look at all bad. It appears from his pics his rifle has a lockbar sight on it.
    Specs/pics and price on the rifle would be worth my interest in the rifle if I was in the market
    Like I said I don't know the seller. Just a 'heads-up' to you.

Rob257

https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=30014

Odds of receiving a rifle as that one from CMP in todays inventory are very,very slim.
    Years ago it wasnt any big deal to get Garands with many early parts in near correct condition but not anymore

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    My order got to Anniston on Sept 19. Just got an email today saying they received the order which is "on backorder at least 6 months".

I hope the CMP still exists in 6 months..... : (

My order showed up in e-store 10/18. Sales dept seems to be catching up. One person who got a 6 month backorder message got his rifle in 1 month.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    My order showed up in e-store 10/18. Sales dept seems to be catching up. One person who got a 6 month backorder message got his rifle in 1 month.

What was the postmark date of your order? I sent in an order postmarked 9/21/16 (7 days before the most recent cutoff) and haven't received any confirmation as of today.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    9:00 PM tonight: Just got confirmation from CMP of my order for service grade. Order was postmarked 9/21/16. Surprised e-mail showed up in my inbox at 9:00 PM ( they must be working late to process the flood of orders). At least I'm in the queue although I'm hearing it may be a long wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom