• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i don't get one. cop tried to talk MWAG out of his firearm he was waving instyead of shooting him .Other cop walked up to him and killed him with a head shot.

City terminated the cop for not shooting.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Pay wall there.

Can you summarize?

Fired officer is on scene with a guy armed with a gun who is saying "shoot me" while flicking his wrist up like he's going to shoot the officer.

The officer doesn't fire his weapon and other officers respond and end up shooting the guy.

There is a real problem with officers who fail to recognize and take action when there is a life threatening situation. Not sure if this situation qualifies or not but plenty of officers have "frozen" or fail to realize they are in a bad situation. If that was the case here then the officer should be fired if training isn't going to fix the problem.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pay wall there.

Can you summarize?

No shooting someone who wanted suicide by cop.

The young fella did good trying to de-escallate, but his chief thought he put others in danger because the perp was not dropped when other LEOs arrived on the scene.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    this is just one of the split second decisions our LEO are called on to make every day.

it ain't easy.

God bless them

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Pay wall there.

Can you summarize?

Fired cop was called to a scene with a man with a gun.

Man with gun told cop to shoot him while gesturing at cop with. Cop thought it was a suicide by cop and tried to deescalate the situation by talking to the man with a gun.

Backup shows up, man with a gun gets agitated again, starts gesturing with the gun, back up police shoot the man with a gun.

Cop who tried to deescalate the situation was terminated for putting other officers lives in danger.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There has to be more to the story than what is in the article.
    Answer this, would they terminate an officer without interviewing his superior or his peers about how he has acted in countless other situations?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    According to 1st Ofc, while he was trying to deesculate, the subjects gun was pointing down. After the other two pfc arrived, the subject definately pointed towards the Ofcs.

At the time the subject was shot, he clearly needed shooting. Did he need shooting earlier? Dunno, I wasn't there .

ETA : First Ofc was within his probationary period, and could be let go for any reason, or no reason at all.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    So I guess they fire the cop that didn't shoot immediately then they'll fire the cop who did shoot after the investigation.

:rolleyes:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The way I understand it is that the gun was lowered, and at that point there is no threat. Seems reasonable to me that when the other officer(s) approached, the guy would easily move his hand in any direction that is not down, thus meaning "pointing at someone(thing) and that was the clue for them to shoot him execution style, behind the ear in the back of the head.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From the article this is the third problem they had with him. Sounds like he decided to not only risk his own life but the lives of two other people, which is not acceptable. Yes it's nice to try and talk people down in situations like this and even I was in situations where I "could" have shot somebody and been justified several times over but chose to take a chance and didn't. BUT, there is a limit to that and how much risk you can take. I don't know all the particulars, none of us do, but you don't get to roll the dice and take a real chance of someone else being hurt when you are dealing with with other officers' lives. I don't know about this guy but there are some people out there who just can't drop the hammer if they have to and they don't belong in police work. For their own sake as much as everyone else's. I really doubt with all of the press and media pressure and everything else going on this chief and mayor would be firing this guy for this reason if they didn't feel there was a real, serious problem with keeping him on.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    So now an agency is telling an officer they will be terminated even if that officer did not perceive deadly force is needed. That's a dangerous precedent they are setting. You should not tell officers when to shoot, just when they can use deadly force. I can understand if he officer dodged the call or failed to confront the situation, but he as an officer has to make the final decision and be able to articulate his/her own actions.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    From the article this is the third problem they had with him. Sounds like he decided to not only risk his own life but the lives of two other people, which is not acceptable. Yes it's nice to try and talk people down in situations like this and even I was in situations where I "could" have shot somebody and been justified several times over but chose to take a chance and didn't. BUT, there is a limit to that and how much risk you can take. I don't know all the particulars, none of us do, but you don't get to roll the dice and take a real chance of someone else being hurt when you are dealing with with other officers' lives. I don't know about this guy but there are some people out there who just can't drop the hammer if they have to and they don't belong in police work. For their own sake as much as everyone else's. I really doubt with all of the press and media pressure and everything else going on this chief and mayor would be firing this guy for this reason if they didn't feel there was a real, serious problem with keeping him on.

Well the other two incidents had nothing to do with anyone at risk. One complaint by someone who got a ticket and one case where an old lady died in her home and it wasn't reported suspicious (two other senior officered didn't think it was suspicious either).

In this case while one on one the officer felt he could talk the person down. The back-up showed up and things escalated into a shooting. No one is wrong, the cop for trying to de-esculate nor the officer who shot. Same incident but two different time points.

The only A-hole is the Chief.

Don't know why anyone would do that job for $34 grand a year! (although my son and son in law are both in law enforcement).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom