• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    One way to get the 8" MPX pistol to 29" without pinning and welding a muzzle device is to get the version which comes with the side folding arm brace. Unscrew the pistol buffer from the side folding mount, screw in a 6 position buffer tube, and use a longer stock like the Magpul SL. This gets the OAL to around 29.2".

Hmmm good info

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Welcome to my hell. There are some guns that just don't look right with a buffer tube and stock. My dream is to be able to sbr my mp5 reverse stretch in this stupid state. Every time I look at the sig brace on the end of it I feel inclined to facepalm. Hoping Nate and Engage come through, otherwise it will be decades until I'm out of md.

SnuffyJD

Feb 15, 2013
    Catonsville

Attachments

• MPX SBR.jpg
      MPX SBR.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 1,008

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    One way to get the 8" MPX pistol to 29" without pinning and welding a muzzle device is to get the version which comes with the side folding arm brace. Unscrew the pistol buffer from the side folding mount, screw in a 6 position buffer tube, and use a longer stock like the Magpul SL. This gets the OAL to around 29.2".

With a solution like that, or like the other folding adapter linked above, wouldn't you then run in to copycat issues? (That is, folding stock and flash hider.)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So I just spent some time going over a few of these at Free State. They had a plain pistol, and a pistol with the side folding SIG brace.

I really, really like them.

I didn't realize that they have both an ambi bolt release and ambi magazine release stock.

It's a goddamn shame that we can't get the sliding PDW type stock for them here, because although the side folder was cool, it just didn't feel as compact as the slider would, even when folded. I would really like one for a suppressor host, and that means I can't have a folding stock, so unless either Engage wins their lawsuit or someone comes up with a crazy long collapsible stock (which I don't think would even fit on the receiver) I'd have to pin the folding stock open.

I really like them though.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Saw a guy walking around Chantilly with a SBR MPX today. I don't believe it was even 20" long. It was sweet !!!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    S if I SBR an MPX with folding stock, can I run a suppressor on it? That considered a flash hider?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    S if I SBR an MPX with folding stock, can I run a suppressor on it? That considered a flash hider?

in MD, can not run it with a suppressor if you have the folding stock as well.

I really want to do an MPX SBR that i can eventually run suppressed. So a collapsible stock, not a folding one.

So far the only thing I can think of:
    -run that MPX stock adapter that allows AR15 Buffer Tubes
    -If possible, have a machine shop replicate this, with longer rods? Wont fully collapse once extended though. http://www.gotammollc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PDWSIG
    -or go with an MCX, and cut it down to 29"OAL

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    You could also buy one of the MPX carbines and cut the barrel. I'm having similar thoughts.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Thinking about going down this road, but as my first NFA item, I want to make sure I have this correct. If I get a MPX pistol, and a suppressor, and permanently attach the suppressor to the barrrel; if the barrel+suppressor length is greater than 16" I don't have to SBR it to put a stock on it (but it can't go back to a pistol ever again). If the length is less than 16" I can SBR it, but I can't get a folding stock, however I can use a collapsible stock, correct?

They do make an MPX with an 8" barrel, but I'm having a hard time finding a suppressor that is over 8" long. I'd love to get away with only one stamp.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thinking about going down this road, but as my first NFA item, I want to make sure I have this correct. If I get a MPX pistol, and a suppressor, and permanently attach the suppressor to the barrrel; if the barrel+suppressor length is greater than 16" I don't have to SBR it to put a stock on it

As long as the suppressor is permanently attached, this is correct.

(but it can't go back to a pistol ever again).

That is incorrect. If it starts life as a pistol, it can be made into a rifle and then back into a pistol and back and forth as many times as you would like. If it starts life as a rifle, it is a rifle permanently, and can never be made into a pistol.

If the length is less than 16" I can SBR it,

Yes.

but I can't get a folding stock, however I can use a collapsible stock, correct?

Yes. But it is important to note that this part is true whether it is an SBR or a "normal" rifle. The suppressor counts as a "flash suppressor," which is one of the evil features. Since this is a centerfire rifle which accepts detachable magazines, it can only have one evil feature, which in your case would be the suppressor. Therefore you can't use a folding stock on it, only a collapsible one.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If I get a MPX pistol, and a suppressor, and permanently attach the suppressor to the barrrel; if the barrel+suppressor length is greater than 16" I don't have to SBR it to put a stock on it
    Correct.
    (but it can't go back to a pistol ever again).
    Incorrect. If it starts as a pistol it can go back. You can put a 16" upper on an AR pistol, converting it to a rifle, and you can still go back to a pistol AS LONG AS IT STARTED as a pistol.
    If the length is less than 16" I can SBR it, but I can't get a folding stock, however I can use a collapsible stock, correct?
    You can use a folding stock BUT you couldn't then use a flash hider (or suppressor) in MD. I'm helping a friend extend a MCX folding stock for his MPX pistol to make MD legal length. He doesn't care about suppressing it and will just use a brake.
    They do make an MPX with an 8" barrel, but I'm having a hard time finding a suppressor that is over 8" long. I'd love to get away with only one stamp.
    I just bought a carbine. Was cheaper than buying a pistol + the telescoping stock. It also gets you the long handguard to hide more of the suppressor. I have no interest in ever using it as a pistol so didn't need to start there. I'm torn on:
    1) chopping the bbl (or buying a pistol bbl or whole upper if they are ever avail!) and pinning a form 1 suppressor to keep the bbl 16"
    *OR*
    2) SBRing it and using an existing suppressor I have.

But now that I have a telescoping stock of my own to play with I'll show how to get a pistol with one to the MD 29" length (for people who want a SBR.) Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to tinker.

Edit: Dang I type slow. Hawkeye beat me to it;) If you want an off the shelf suppressor, look at subgun ones. You don't need a pistol Neilson device anyway. A Bowers VERS 9S for example is 8.6" OAL. You'll need to pin/weld the rear cap & thread adapter together too.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    But now that I have a telescoping stock of my own to play with I'll show how to get a pistol with one to the MD 29" length (for people who want a SBR.) Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to tinker.

That would be fantastic.

I REALLY want an MPX, but I want to SBR and suppress it, so that means collapsible stock. I was wondering 2 things:

1) with the stock collapsible stock, what barrel length would we need to make 29" OAL? (For people who would cut the barrel)?

2) with the 8" barrel, how much would we have to add to the back of the buttpad on the collapsible stock to make 29? (For people who would buy the pistol and add the collapsible stock and then some buttpad spacers or something to make the OAL.)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    That would be fantastic.

I REALLY want an MPX, but I want to SBR and suppress it, so that means collapsible stock. I was wondering 2 things:

1) with the stock collapsible stock, what barrel length would we need to make 29" OAL? (For people who would cut the barrel)?

2) with the 8" barrel, how much would we have to add to the back of the buttpad on the collapsible stock to make 29? (For people who would buy the pistol and add the collapsible stock and then some buttpad spacers or something to make the OAL.)

I'm interested in option 2 Alex lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom