• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    The en banc petitions in both Baker and Richards were stayed pending resolution of Kamala Harris's intervention request in Peruta. I assume that all three en banc petitions will be decided at the same time.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Those are not citizen permits. All 183 are for security guards (typically armored car driver) or detectives. Hawaii has 0 citizen issued permits.

It's the same deal in NJ. Those 1200+ permits are mostly security guards.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Any idea on when the stay will get unstuck?

Thinking out loud:

• What are the odds of Baker being granted en-banc, after Peruta has been denied en-banc?
    • Denying en-banc only leaves HI appealling to the SCOTUS!

:party29:

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Remember Alan Gura has a carry case to. Richards v. Preito. The named Defendant is a very good friend of mine from college. Adam Richards. A en banc petition was filed in Richards as well. I am sure that the stay will be lifted soon in both appeals.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Remember Alan Gura has a carry case to. Richards v. Preito. The named Defendant is a very good friend of mine from college. Adam Richards. A en banc petition was filed in Richards as well. I am sure that the stay will be lifted soon in both appeals.

I thought Adam Richards was the Plaintiff ???

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Sorry that was a typo. I meant Plaintiff. i.e. He's the guy suing to get a permit to carry a handgun.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Any idea on when the stay will get unstuck?

Thinking out loud:

• What are the odds of Baker being granted en-banc, after Peruta has been denied en-banc?
    • Denying en-banc only leaves HI appealling to the SCOTUS!

:party29:

The petition for rehearing in Peruta was denied only after it was construed to be a motion to intervene, which was likewise denied. That disposition in Peruta dos not bear on the merits petitions for rehearing pending in Baker and Richards, where an actual party is seeking rehearing. It is perfectly possible for rehearing to be granted in either Richards or Baker or both, and failing that, for the defendants in Richards and Baker to seek cert.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The petition for rehearing in Peruta was denied only after it was construed to be a motion to intervene, which was likewise denied. That disposition in Peruta dos not bear on the merits petitions for rehearing pending in Baker and Richards, where an actual party is seeking rehearing. It is perfectly possible for rehearing to be granted in either Richards or Baker or both, and failing that, for the defendants in Richards and Baker to seek cert.

To grant en-banc in Richards or Baker, while leaving Peruta as established law within the CA9 does not make sense. They were all heard together, and should be treated as the same argument.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    To grant en-banc in Richards or Baker, while leaving Peruta as established law within the CA9 does not make sense. They were all heard together, and should be treated as the same argument.

Different cases, different parties. And a proper petition for rehearing has been filed in Baker and Richards. As a matter of law, en banc is an option in Baker and Richards whereas in Peruta rehearing was foreclosed because the defendant elected not to pursue it and party status was just denied to the State and others. It ain't over yet.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Different cases, different parties. And a proper petition for rehearing has been filed in Baker and Richards. As a matter of law, en banc is an option in Baker and Richards whereas in Peruta rehearing was foreclosed because the defendant elected not to pursue it and party status was just denied to the State and others. It ain't over yet.

Rehearing is possible in Peruta via sua sponte, but given that an actual petition exists in Richards, I don't see any reason for the 9th Circuit to go the sua sponte route. Since Richards basically says "see Peruta", en banc rehearing of Richards amounts to rehearing of Peruta in practice.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Rehearing is possible in Peruta via sua sponte, but given that an actual petition exists in Richards, I don't see any reason for the 9th Circuit to go the sua sponte route. Since Richards basically says "see Peruta", en banc rehearing of Richards amounts to rehearing of Peruta in practice.

Agreed.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012

I posted about this awhile back. I see no reason for the court to take the relatively unusual step of a sua sponte request in Peruta when an en banc petition was likely coming vis a vi Baker and Richards. And in the absence of such petitions, anti-gun justices on the 9th circuit would still get two more swings at sua sponte rehearing.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I posted about this awhile back. I see no reason for the court to take the relatively unusual step of a sua sponte request in Peruta when an en banc petition was likely coming vis a vi Baker and Richards. And in the absence of such a petition, anti-gun justices on the 9th circuit would still get two more swings at sua sponte rehearing.

Exactly.

I've seen people attempt to argue that an en banc review of Richards or Baker would be unable to touch the reasoning of Peruta, but they're plainly incorrect on that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Exactly.

I've seen people attempt to argue that an en banc review of Richards or Baker would be unable to touch the reasoning of Peruta, but they're plainly incorrect on that.

I think the CA9 is done.

The courts want the SCOTUS to answer the question.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I think the CA9 is done.

The courts want the SCOTUS to answer the question.

Why would the anti-RKBA majority on CA9 want SCOTUS to answer the question? More precisely, why would they want it to answer the question now while the Heller 5 majority still exists?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Why would the anti-RKBA majority on CA9 want SCOTUS to answer the question? More precisely, why would they want it to answer the question now while the Heller 5 majority still exists?

There is a rumor that the Heller-5 is not as tight as everyone thinks.

Roberts was instrumental to make sure "inside the home" was inserted into the opinion, or it would have been the Heller-4.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is a rumor that the Heller-5 is not as tight as everyone thinks.

Roberts was instrumental to make sure "inside the home" was inserted into the opinion, or it would have been the Heller-4.

If he whips out his judicial divining rod and sticks it to us again, he is a complete putz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom