• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I think they do them as a batch and we just got lucky. But it sucks you have to wait a week for the card since I assume you can't purchase until you have a actual card.

Correct I believe. Not an issue for me though. I have put it off this long (since 2013), I can wait another week.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    Applied 3/10/17

Approved 3/21/17

Anyone else use the texas hunter certification online course for 15$ to go exempt on the training part

I was expecting until mid april.

Sjones537

Mar 17, 2017
    Yea.. you can fill out the 77R now.

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

Once you fill it out, you will get an application number and a PIN.

Give that application number and PIN to the FFL/dealer and they will link your purchase to the application. Wait 7 days and done!
    Thanks Kenny! That's what I did and got my app and pin #s. Probably get my new gun on Friday. Or I should say pay for my new gun and wait a week.

kennyc01

Apr 30, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Thanks Kenny! That's what I did and got my app and pin #s. Probably get my new gun on Friday. Or I should say pay for my new gun and wait a week.

Think the 7 day wait does not kick in until your dealer link it to your application and you pay the $10 fee to MSP. So yea.. pay ASAP.

I thought you needed to have the actual card in hand to make the purchase? Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed.. that's what I did last Friday.

I got the HQL number on the site Friday morning. Finished the paperwork with my FFL Friday afternoon. I have not seen my card yet.

Then again YMMV.

Feb 17, 2009
    I thought you needed to have the actual card in hand to make the purchase? Can anyone confirm?
    I think it may be up to the dealers discretion, I bought from Baltimores best pawn and they made me come back with my card to start the paperwork and 7 day wait.

Sjones537

Mar 17, 2017
    I was able to make my purchase and begin the 7 day cool off without my physical HQL card.

The dealer only wanted the HQL number and since I already completed the 77R I was good to go.

j5689

Feb 3, 2017
    Riva, MD
    Applied 3/10/17

Approved 3/21/17

Anyone else use the texas hunter certification online course for 15$ to go exempt on the training part

I was expecting until mid april.

That's a popular one for sure. I used my AR15 lower that I bought earlier in February as the training exemption but if I didn't do it that way, the TX hunter cert is probably the smartest route.

I think it may be up to the dealers discretion, I bought from Baltimores best pawn and they made me come back with my card to start the paperwork and 7 day wait.

This seems to be the case: Some dealers need it, some don't. Mine personally didn't. I think there was something about needing to scan & fax a copy of the card, which I'd guess was probably a process that was tacked on when SB281 first went into effect, but I don't know if that really applies with the new online 77R where the number is right there on the PDF form so they can just copy & paste it right into their search to confirm. I heard from somebody else that if you do a regulated firearm transfer to somebody else through an MSP barracks, they actually hold onto the card and mail it back to you after the 7 days. Better off just doing it through a regular gun shop FFL.

Last edited:

Sjones537

Mar 17, 2017
    So I bought my gun and started the process for the 7 day cool off on Friday. The dealer said to look for the approval from MSP this Friday.

Is that true? I would think Maryland being Maryland would give approval after the 7 days which would actually be 8 days.

No biggy either way, I just want to be prepared to be disappointed,lol.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I applied 2/22 and was approved on 3/6. Card in hand on 3/11. 17 days - not too bad, actually, and a lot quicker than I thought it would have been.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I just edited my post above because I messed up the dates before.

Applied 2/22
    Approved 3/6
    Card in hand 3/11

12 days from app to approval, 17 days from app to card in hand.

BigpapaXCT

Mar 21, 2017
    I applied on 3/16. As of yesterday I had all completes except for 3 incompletes. Hoping it goes through in the next day or so. More because I am tired of checking every day. I just want my new gun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom