• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I see all of your point, but I just don't trust the GOP Congress. The fact that they said this isn't a major project and that they'd be happy to let it languish for two years makes me think they're not serious about EVER passing it.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    It's not a problem for most of the country. And the parts of the country that it is a problem, the elected representatives from there don't care and want to go the other way.

Trump can say he's all for the 2A. But he says "protect our second amendment" he doesn't say advance. I take that to mean he will veto anti bills but not going to push pro bills.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    It's not a problem for most of the country. And the parts of the country that it is a problem, the elected representatives from there don't care and want to go the other way.

Trump can say he's all for the 2A. But he says "protect our second amendment" he doesn't say advance. I take that to mean he will veto anti bills but not going to push pro bills.

Not necessarily true (there are Republican legislators in those states) but they're going to have to push their leaders hard.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This attorney wants the bill's language changed to use the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the COTUS, rather than the Commerce Clause..

IANAL.

Maybe one of our legal eagles can comment on what this does to NR permit home state carry provisions. My read is that would be eliminated.:tdown:

I think the other intent was to guarantee reciprocity to residents of Constitutional carry states. I don't see the claimed ambiguity since the use of the word OR seems pretty clear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tm_term=.70051ec1af33&wpisrc=nl_volokh&wpmm=1

Attachments

• HR38_SachsBarnettBaudeLtr_20170323.pdf
      240.8 KB · Views: 159

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I sent an e mail asking them what about those who live in states where they have to provide a G&S reason and the state will not accept "self defense and or all other lawful purposes" and or its next to impossible to get a concealed permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The house version HR 38 allows carry in your home state on a non resident permit. The Senate version S. 446 does not.

If both versions pass their respective houses, then a conference committee will have to reconcile the differences. Who knows what that would look like.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This attorney wants the bill's language changed to use the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the COTUS, rather than the Commerce Clause..

IANAL.

Maybe one of our legal eagles can comment on what this does to NR permit home state carry provisions. My read is that would be eliminated.:tdown:

I think the other intent was to guarantee reciprocity to residents of Constitutional carry states. I don't see the claimed ambiguity since the use of the word OR seems pretty clear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tm_term=.70051ec1af33&wpisrc=nl_volokh&wpmm=1

This is a really good legal article. I agree, it may well eliminate NR permits use in MD. But there are limits to what the Federal government can command the States to do or not do. And those limits are important. Tomorrow, the antis may be back in the majority. We will want those limits then.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This is a really good legal article. I agree, it may well eliminate NR permits use in MD. But there are limits to what the Federal government can command the States to do or not do. And those limits are important. Tomorrow, the antis may be back in the majority. We will want those limits then.

Interesting read, as are most of Volokh's posts.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Thank you for your input Counselor.

Perhaps Rep. Hudson will take this recommendation. As one of the 365, I would still love to carry in MD on my NH NR permit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The article was actually written by Will Baude, but under the Volokh Conspiracy group of opinions..

Not a huge difference, but worthy of a hat tip.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

That's why a federal carry permit would be better.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA

Why not justify the legislation under both? That would cover two bases in the event of the inevitable legal challenge. One may get tossed by the courts, but uphold the law under the other clause. No?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    what do you mean by "all"? The suggestion was just a letter from a private citizen with suggestions to rewrite the bill using a different constitutional foundation besides the commerce clause.

Nothing says the bill would be rewritten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom