• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    My name is ....x and I am an M1 Garand addict. There is no cure for me and I have learned to accept the consequences. My wife will leave me this year because of my addiction. Her loss! If you just grinned, you’re an addict too.

It has been exactly one year, one month and 8 days since my last AAA meeting (order from the CMP). I fought hard against my addiction, but today I lost the battle and jumped on the bandwagon.

I placed an order today for two M1 Garands field grade at $830.00 each and dropped the order in the mail. I wrote a nice note requesting two HRA receivers. My past experience with CMP has been positive. When I placed an order for two rifles and include a nice note including the words “Sincerely & Please” I get a 50% chance of what I asked (one rifle) for each order. In 2015, I ordered the annual limit and placed a note with each order requesting lock bar sight. I ended up with 7 M1’s with lock bar sights.

This year I will add a note to each order and will report the annual outcome.

What are my chances of getting 50% or more?

How long will it take from today to receive the M1s?

What has been your experience with CMP?

Attachments

• m1garand-300x225.jpg
      m1garand-300x225.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 976

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The only issue I ever had when requesting a specific manufacturer, I got what I wanted, but the grade was off. I tend to get better rifles when I don't make a request. This is my experience and I hope that others can say that it different for them.

Good Luck!

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Pretty funny lead in. You need a strong shoulder for all of those Garands. I was at the range this week talking to a couple guys who gave up their Garands due to bad shoulders. I can do about 40 rounds and pack it in.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    When I checked yesterday all they had left for $830 was CMP specials. I believe they are service grade with pitted receivers, new barrels and stocks, and other used USGI parts.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My order are for the "CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand". They're available based on your link. Thanks for the heads-up.

Those will have a new barrel and new stock but the receiver will look more "field grade" than on most Specials. But they should be great shooters.:thumbsup:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I wish you the best, but pitted receivers and new replacement barrels, meh. Rather spend a bit more and get a receiver in nice shape and GI barrel.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I wish you the best, but pitted receivers and new replacement barrels, meh. Rather spend a bit more and get a receiver in nice shape and GI barrel.

You could be right. Lets wait for the results. Regardless of the outcome it's a M1 and a temporary fix for my bad habit. :party29:

Five years from now there wouldn't be any more left at the cmp and we will regret for not getting at least the pitted receivers. Prices are increasing every year by 15% to 20% at private auctions and I'm amazed how high people are paying for one these days. 3 years ago a purchased navy 308 national match at local gunshop for $350.00. No bs. It truly happened. I will post pictures of it later this weey.

Thanks for the support.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    14 days later from the date (March 9th 2017) of mailing I received the order received e-mail (March 23, 2017). Not bad! Now, I'm waiting for the debit card charge.

"We have received and verified your recent order. There is nothing that we will be able to tell you about the order until we have input all orders received ahead of yours into the system. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. Please note, that unless otherwise listed, our order to ship time is at least 30-60 days. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is 302xxx. The order will not show as pending on the estore until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Definie Scott
    CMP Sales Order Processing
    256-835-8455 ext 344
    dscott@thecmp.org""

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'll probably order another this year if service or field grades return. I haven't bought one since the one I picked off the racks in 2014 and haven't ordered one since 2013.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I see they are still selling 6,000,000 serial number service grades for $1,200. IIRC these were the last Garands made and are a must have for some collectors.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    One of my friends picked up a 6mil earlier this year at Anniston and it was all correct except for the wood. It was easy enough to get a correct stock for it.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    Here is an update I received today. I need to make a decision before the end of the day tomorrow. What to do????

"""Mr. xxxxx,

The armorers are working on Field Grade Specials at this time and it could take another week or longer for your order to be filled. I am just reaching out to you to see if you would be interested in changing your order to the Special grade rifle (RM1SPECIAL $1030) for an additional $200 since they are ready to ship. The rifles are not available online. We are just offering them to customers with orders already in house. Please let me know by March 31, if you are interested in changing your order. If not, you will receive an email once your Special Field grade order is ready to ship.

Thank you,

M........

Customer Relations/Sales Supervisor
    Civilian Marksmanship Program :'''''

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads