• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I recently purchased a used Colt 1911 Competition Series pistol from Engage Armament. :party29:(Thanks again Andy):party29:

Fit and Finish:
    This 1911 is extremely tight and cycles smoothly without binding. The finish is a flat black bluing that looks great with the custom G10 (blue) grips. The grips have just enough bite but not so much that they are uncomfortable.

Trigger:
    The trigger breaks at a consistent 6 pounds. It does have a little more pretravel than I like but is equipped with an over travel screw. Adjusting the screw will shorten the reset by preventing the trigger from traveling further than it needs to.

Sights:
    The Novak adjustable rear sight is drift adjustable for windage. Elevation adjustments are made with an adjustment screw. So in reality they are elevation adjustable. I prefer this type of rear sight because I find that fully adjustable rear sights tend to bite when the slide is racked.

The front sight is a Novak fiber optic with a red insert. It is easy to pick up quickly and draws my eyes to focus.

First trip to the range:
    Yesterday I was able to spend a little quality time at the range with this 1911. I fired 50 rounds at 10 yards to test the function and accuracy using 200 grain flat point handloads. (Montana Gold bullets 200 gr FP, 5 gr Titegroup, Winchester LP primers and mixed brass)

This pistol was flawless and very accurate. I was able to keep all 50 rounds in (or touching) the X ring of the Bianchi Cup target. I found the sights easy to see even for my aging eyes. The trigger and action were smooth and consistent. I will increase the distance on my next trip to the range.

A link to Colts Spec sheet http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/o1980CCS.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
      IMG_0160.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 379

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The trigger breaks at a consistent 6 pounds. It does have a little more pretravel than I like but is equipped with an over travel screw. Adjusting the screw will shorten the reset by preventing the trigger from traveling further than it needs to.

This is incorrect, hate to see you bust up a good trigger. The screw adjusts for overtravel only. Using it to adjust pretravel may lead to a beat up sear or hammer follow (depending on the fit of the trigger bow blocking lug of the grip safety).

Reducing pretravel is done at the front of the trigger bow using pre-existing or cut tabs. Or file and fit a micro dab of weld.

Nice pistol. Me like.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Looks like a good one! I've tried Fidelity's 9mm Colt and it was a joy to shoot. I'll bet the .45 is as good or better!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I was really thinking hard about snatching this up but was too slow. Reading your range report makes me kick myself for sitting on my ass too long. Great looking and great shooting gun.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

This is incorrect, hate to see you bust up a good trigger. The screw adjusts for overtravel only. Using it to adjust pretravel may lead to a beat up sear or hammer follow (depending on the fit of the trigger bow blocking lug of the grip safety).

Reducing pretravel is done at the front of the trigger bow using pre-existing or cut tabs. Or file and fit a micro dab of weld.

Nice pistol. Me like.

Well since reducing over travel will reduce the distance the trigger needs to move forward to reset it works exactly like I stated in the OP.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I took some time and fired it at 15 yards yesterday. I had already fired several other guns and it showed. I was able to keep all shots in the 10 inch circle of my Bianchi Cup target. Sorry no pics of the target.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not being argumentative, just don't care to see misinformation passed on. This is my last post on this so as you feel you must.
    The overtravel screw stops against the magazine catch when the trigger is pulled limiting rearward movement. The treaded nature of the screw mearly positions the trigger on it, limiting the extreme rear position the trigger reaches. This prevents excessive loaded trigger finger slamming backward against the pistol, avoiding the gun being jarred off the hold on target.
    The forward movement is not effected by the overtravel screw. Do as you wish. Brownells sells a good 'drop-in' hammer and sear set from Cylinder and Slide.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Not being argumentative, just fon't care to see misinformation passed on. This is my last post on this so as you feel you must.
    The overtravel screw stops against the magazine catch when the trigger is pulled limiting rearward movement. The treaded nature of the screw mearly positions the trogger on it, limiting the extreme rear position the trigger reaches. This prevents excessive loaded trigger finger slamming backward against the pistol, avoiding the gun being jarred off the hold on target.
    The forward movement is not effected by the overtravel screw. Do as you wish. Brownells sells a good 'drop-in' hammer and sear set from Cylinder and Slide.

If the rearward movement of the trigger is stopped sooner it will have to travel less distance to the reset. But only by 3%.......

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    true (whatever value you assign it), but it doesn't effect pretravel (trigger movement before disconnector begins to push against sear).

I agree the over travel screw will not affect pretravel. That is why there is a period at the end of the sentence and a new sentence is started mentioning the over travel screw affecting reset distance.

Adjusting the screw will shorten the reset by preventing the trigger from traveling further than it needs to.

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    If these are "Series 80" pistols, improper adjustment of the overtravel screw will also cause misfires, as well as destroy the FP safety plunger and firing pin. Seen it plenty of times...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom