• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I've watched friends somd_mustangs and kh195 post some impressive Japanese Type 94 pistols over the years. Encouraged, it put me on the path to find an early example for my collection. I gravitate towards the earlier, finer finished example of Japanese arms and that's what I focused on finding. Recently the market for Type 94s has taken off and I thought I just might have taken too long in my search for just the right one.
    -Then I ran across a forlorn T94, Type II listing on Gunbroker with no bids and two days left before it closed. Production date placed it in November 1937, just two years into production, and with an early SN in the high 3000s. While showing some surface corrosion the magazine was the correct Type II, nickle plated configuration and was numbers matching. The bakelite grips were also the correct large checked pattern for Type II. Screw heads weren't buggered and the frame screws were the correct, early non-recessed type. The strawed parts showed patina but that didn't bother me. The only finish blemish was some minor pitting on the rear of the frame, just above the lanyard ring. This one pulled my trigger!
    -The seller had this interesting story in the listing - Developed for the Imperial Japanese Army this Nambu was captured by an officer named Irwin from Knoxville, TN during WWII. The round in the chamber snapped on the primer and did not fire - saving his life. He brought the pistol home in the U.S. holster that is pictured. The three rounds, including the misfire; remained in the pistol .
    -While there was no mention of matching numbers I noticed the matching magazine and had a strong hunch that the rest of the gun matched too. So I put in a bid and got it for just below $600 delivered. Upon disassembly I discovered all is indeed matching. Bore is in excellent condition. The original owner and the US officer both took good care of it.
    -My luck held yet again when I was able to snag an early, pebble grain holster for it for under $200. So I've got less than $800 in a matching rig.

Attachments

• IMGP8174.JPG
      IMGP8174.JPG
      36 KB · Views: 314
    • IMGP8175.JPG
      IMGP8175.JPG
      42.2 KB · Views: 299
    • IMGP8176.JPG
      IMGP8176.JPG
      22.6 KB · Views: 308
    • IMGP8178.JPG
      IMGP8178.JPG
      51.1 KB · Views: 303
    • IMGP8177.JPG
      IMGP8177.JPG
      35.7 KB · Views: 298
    • IMGP8182.JPG
      IMGP8182.JPG
      68.3 KB · Views: 301
    • IMGP8183.JPG
      IMGP8183.JPG
      37.3 KB · Views: 302
    • IMGP8184.JPG
      IMGP8184.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 297
    • IMGP8185.JPG
      IMGP8185.JPG
      51.1 KB · Views: 298
    • IMGP8186.JPG
      IMGP8186.JPG
      44.8 KB · Views: 299

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    More photos...

Attachments

• IMGP8187.JPG
      IMGP8187.JPG
      33.8 KB · Views: 294
    • IMGP8179.JPG
      IMGP8179.JPG
      64.9 KB · Views: 291
    • IMGP8180.JPG
      IMGP8180.JPG
      53.8 KB · Views: 291
    • IMGP8181.JPG
      IMGP8181.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 288
    • pix209348741.jpg
      pix209348741.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 290
    • pix773118552.jpg
      pix773118552.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 287
    • pix963577532.jpg
      pix963577532.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 288
    • pix259312311.jpg
      pix259312311.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 286
    Jul 1, 2012
    That's really nice especially for an early gun ... great price too.
    Bonus points for all-matched internal parts, esp the firing pin.
    Looks kind of lost in that 1911 holster :)

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Nice story to go with a great looking firearm, strange the condition of the firearm vs the mag and rounds was the firearm refinished ?

Thanks for sharing, :thumbsup: there is a lot history stored away in back of service members closets that have passed I wish families would release to market and not turn in to be destroyed.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mawkie, that really is a great acquisition. Wonderful condition and story. Looking at the ammo it looks like a light primer strike but the primers look too deep, wonder if it was a problem with the gun or defective ammo.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice story to go with a great looking firearm, strange the condition of the firearm vs the mag and rounds was the firearm refinished ?

Thanks for sharing, :thumbsup: there is a lot history stored away in back of service members closets that have passed I wish families would release to market and not turn in to be destroyed.

Finish is original, no reblue. I would imagine the magazine was removed and stored separately from the pistol. That would account for the rougher condition of the mag.
    Picked up an HSc a few years ago that was found by auction staff as they went through furniture drawers for an estate. Pistol was wrapped in a sock at the back of a dresser drawer. Nobody from the original owner's family knew it was there. Probably sat for decades undisturbed.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie, that really is a great acquisition. Wonderful condition and story. Looking at the ammo it looks like a light primer strike but the primers look too deep, wonder if it was a problem with the gun or defective ammo.

Wouldn't surprise me if the ammo was defective. Checked the tip on the FP when inspecting for matching numbers and the FP looks good. Light coating of oil over everything, nothing sticking.
    It's an odd design but not poorly built at this point in time. Fit and finish are very good.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Finish is original, no reblue. I would imagine the magazine was removed and stored separately from the pistol. That would account for the rougher condition of the mag.
    Picked up an HSc a few years ago that was found by auction staff as they went through furniture drawers for an estate. Pistol was wrapped in a sock at the back of a dresser drawer. Nobody from the original owner's family knew it was there. Probably sat for decades undisturbed.

You got a great find, collectors hope to get one in half as good condition. Thank for sharing now I got to start look in the back of my uncles drawers I know he got to have socked one away somewhere.:rolleyes:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

You know, the more I look at the photo (I'm at work, no access to ammo right now) the more I can see what you mean about the primers being seated so deep. That FP would have to travel quite a distance for reliable ignition.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Off topic but a good find. I have collected WW2 militaria my whole life and everyone I am close to at work knows this. A few years ago an older man who was working on contract approached me regarding a P38 he had. He asked if I would be interested in it and of course I answered , YES. I purchased a nice Spreewerk and holster for $300. I take it to the range every once in awhile and it shoots great.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice pick-up! I've always wondered if the sear linkage on those were as touchy as people have said they are.

Curious, I verified that you can indeed trip the FP by pressing on the sear bar. But it requires a firm, committed push, not something that's likely to ever happen by accident.
    The T94 fits my small paws well. I can see how someone with a larger hand would find it less than optimal. That small 6 round magazine makes for a short grip. Not the same as the T14. Then again, I find the sear blocking safety on the T94 easier to deal with vs that of the T14. It does have a mag safety, not my favorite feature.

Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah, I've found you pretty much need a tool of some sort to press the sear bar.
    However, some of the late-war are much easier, varies across pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom