• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Today I was skimming over the West Virginia regulations for 2016 and I ran acrossed this little tidbit:
    except that persons having a valid concealed weapon permit or those West Virginia residents who are legally permitted to carry without a concealed weapon permit may carry a concealed handgun for self-defense only.
    Not sure what to make of this, I thought any non prohibited person was allowed to carry in West Virginia without a permit.
    http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1617/2015-16_Hunting_Regs.pdf

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 635

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hunt with: blah blah ..

Kinda hard to understand ..

Plus.. this was last year hunting reg. They prolly haven't update it.

Hunting with bow and arrow with sidearms probably better title. ;)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hunt with: blah blah ..

Kinda hard to understand ..

Plus.. this was last year hunting reg. They prolly haven't update it.

Hunting with bow and arrow with sidearms probably better title. ;)

This is the regulations for this year, July2016-June2017, but it could be that it was printed before new laws. But with the wording as I highlighted it makes me think it wasn't , seems they were separating residents from non residents, and before the constitutional carry law passed both residents and non residents were required to have a permit while carrying unless you were open carrying.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This is the regulations for this year, July2016-June2017, but it could be that it was printed before new laws. But with the wording as I highlighted it makes me think it wasn't , seems they were separating residents from non residents, and before the constitutional carry law passed both residents and non residents were required to have a permit while carrying unless you were open carrying.
    The pdf title says 2015-2016 :shrug:

When did the Constitutional carry took effect?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The pdf title says 2015-2016 :shrug:

When did the Constitutional carry took effect?
    May 26, 2016 but it's weird that they had separated residents from non in the wording.
    Clicking on the provided link and this is what I see:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 536

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Following this thread also.

WVa. for years has had a class A-1 stamp in addition to their Class E non-resident license. They call it a small arms stamp. The class A-1 stamp applied to HUNTING with a handgun.

Not sure if that's changed now in any way with their new carry law.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Following this thread also.

WVa. for years has had a class A-1 stamp in addition to their Class E non-resident license. They call it a small arms stamp. The class A-1 stamp applied to HUNTING with a handgun.

Not sure if that's changed now in any way with their new carry law.

It's still listed at a cost of $8

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I recently took an 8 hour hand gun course at Valley Guns II, and a WV lawyer taught one part of it. The lawyer brought this up, and said its one of those scenarios where laws contradict each other. He said it will need to be changed by the legislature or challenged in a court of law. He also suggested to get a concealed carry license to be safe in the meantime.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I thought there was recognition that a hunting jacket could cover a holstered handgun in the woods to shield it from scuffs and weather--but that it was back to open carry once out of the woods.

Today I was skimming over the West Virginia regulations for 2016 and I ran acrossed this little tidbit:

Not sure what to make of this, I thought any non prohibited person was allowed to carry in West Virginia without a permit.
    http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1617/2015-16_Hunting_Regs.pdf

Well I get a different slant on it.. If you read ONLY whats written BEFORE the word except.. It seems that it only wants to know if you are hunting bow or gun..and you can not carry both the same time of day.

Then they make the exception that if your a resident and ..blah blah blah..

It only says gun..not handgun.. so it speaks to carry of dual weapons when hunting..not a hand gun regulation..

anyways..that my take on it

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Another Interpetation - The concealed handgun without Permit must be for self defense only, and not hunting. The hunting regs specify minimum requirements for Handgun Hunting.

I know some people conceal full size .357mag or full size .45acp, but to sidestep the ambiguity until this gets legislatively resolved, used .38spl or 9mm for self defense while hunting. Or use an Uncle Mike flap holster for your Bambi and Yogi blaster to fully protect it while hunting.

( Or you should already have a recriprical Permit valid in buncha states including WV on general principles.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It IS sorta vague.

The disconnect is that ( as in Md ) the statutes relating to hunting are in a different section of the law than general statutes on weapons.

(Unlike in Md) the head of LE for their game department has publically commented than his Wardens wouldn't get stupid about an ambiguities on Carry, but the laws were on the books for the handfull of antigun local PDs.

In WV situation I am willing to believe it was an accidental over sight, and the WVCDL is good about following up on these things. ( Plug time- WVCDL is fine organization worthy of your suport.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom