• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Reading the OP brought a smile to my face, as well as a tear to my eyes.

The ONE pistol I regret selling was a Colt Combat Commander, that had a S&W K-frame rear sight 'let into' the slide and a K-frame red ramp sight set into the slide.

That pistol was nothing short of magnificent.

The barrel bushing was tight, and the slide to frame fit was hand-fitted.
    (I wasn't as tight as a Bob Chow accurized Gov't. Mdl. that a friend had. It 'sang' when going into battery!)

The feed ramp was cut to feed semi-wadcutters, and was 100% reliable.
    Crisp 3.5 lb trigger and slightly beveled magazine well.

Sold it to a friend with a bad case of the "I gotta have that" disease, like a FOOL.

One day, I'll have another Combat Commander or Commander.

Yes, the barrel is only 3/4" shorter than a Gov't. Model, but, the balance is fantastic.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Combat Commander never made a lot of sense to me. Just slightly smaller, almost the same weight.

NOW, the Light Weight Commander is a different story. Smaller and lighter. :D

But choices, that is why they are both available. Enjoy, it is a nice looking pistol.

The Lightweight commander used an alloy frame and wasn't as durable as the steel framed version. I might be picking up a used one at a local store if it's still there tomorrow. I'll need more 10 round 9mm 1911 magazines for it, since I have five that fit the Officers size grip.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since you do not shoot a carry gun as much as a range toy, alloy frame and lighter weight is nice.

To me, the LW balances better than the steel frame.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I was a LEO I often carried my Lightweight Commander off-duty...easy pistol to carry...reliable...accurate. I can't ask for more. I also have a Lightweight Government Model but haven't fired it yet.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I like the Ruger LW Commander due to the titanium insert at the feed ramp. That combo just feels right. I also regret selling my first pistol. A stainless Colt Combat Commander. I had just ETS'd and needed cash.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I like the Ruger LW Commander due to the titanium insert at the feed ramp. That combo just feels right. I also regret selling my first pistol. A stainless Colt Combat Commander. I had just ETS'd and needed cash.

I sacrificed two Sako rifles for exactly the same reason. It was going to be a couple of months before I started getting GI Bill $ for college and I needed a car to get me to/from class. Didn't have to sell any handguns but took the $ from the rifles and what little bit I had saved and paid cash for a used, beater Datsun 310. It was hideous.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I realize you probably can't do this in Maryland, but when I shot bowling pin matches, my best time for six pins was just a hair over 3 seconds. I practiced in my backyard using six Arizona Tea cans and an airsoft pistol. If you really want to do better, get the airsoft version of your CZ and practice in your basement or wherever.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I carry mine most everyday at work. It’s easily my most reliable and favorite.

56fe06997e6d95f48c18e5c6263fb542.jpg

e25de360171b90f2a24c2217bfc0ca98.jpg
    08efd0321dacbdaf7a22626578598ee6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like that holster? Who makes it? Looking for an OWB to wear at 4-5 o'clock while I work in the gun shop.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    LW Commander is my daily carry 90% of the time. Of the guns I own I'm the most accurate with 1911's and the LW makes it easy to have on my hip.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I realize you probably can't do this in Maryland, but when I shot bowling pin matches, my best time for six pins was just a hair over 3 seconds. I practiced in my backyard using six Arizona Tea cans and an airsoft pistol. If you really want to do better, get the airsoft version of your CZ and practice in your basement or wherever.

Hitting them/knocking them over isn't really the problem. The problem is knocking them completely off the table for the shot to count. That's the challenge. I can usually knock them over with only one shot from my Shadow SP-01 but the surface of the table is large and deep. Wooden bowling pins have an almost unpredictable way of reacting when they're hit and if you don't hit them solidly with 9mm, they're going to just fall-over and start rolling back-and-forth. Then, you've got a smaller, moving target to remove from the surface of the table. That usually means extra shots and crappier relay times, although, every now and then you'll get a lucky roll-off. Not often, though.

.45 is much more forgiving. It doesn't take a center-mass solid hit from a .45 for a pin to go flying off the table. My best time with a .45 is a little under five seconds.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    So, let me ask you all something? How many consecutive Sundays has it piss-poured the rain? Seems like it's going-on about a year or longer, don't it? :mad54:

Today was my last chance to practice and familiarize before next week's pin match @ MPC. Instead of being able to go practice on real pins, though, I had to settle (again) for an indoor session doing rapid fire drills.

bd0zKPz.jpg
    YMbQLUg.jpg

Geco and Magtech 230gr FMJ, 50 rounds @ 7 yards

I like using the red-oval-center targets because at 7 yards it looks just about like the width of a wood bowling pin and it's easier to focus on front sight alignment against a red background than it is either white or black. I'm satisfied with the results, considering that I was attempting to duplicate the speed and succession of follow-up shots on pins. IMO, either one of these loads would work well for a match. The Magtech recoils a little less. The Geco is a little more accurate. Take your pick. Both loads functioned flawlessly.

New LOK grips worked well, too: not the least bit abrasive but definitely an improvement from the factory wood grips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom