• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    All good except loaded magazines are legal if not inserted in firearm

Transporting UNLOADED Magazines is just an extra step to keep people out of trouble in the event that they are stopped...

It only takes a few seconds to load your magazines when you get to the range...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The ranges I use charge by the hour. I can bring 20-30 magazines for different guns on some trips. I don't want to waste my hour loading that many magazines, especially since transporting loaded magazines is legal.

Of course it's a personal decision.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If I travel to a far away range in rural MD, spend 2 days there, what happens if police stops me on my drives between hotel/restaurants and the range?

Also, is lending and borrowing guns allowed? If I borrow a gun from a friend and drive with it to my house or to a range, is that OK? Will police ask you to show legal ownership of the gun?

How do the police know you have a gun in the car? Is it out in the open? Did you consent to a search?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    or comply with th AG opinion and travel legally with the legally loaded ones in your range bag?

BGOS is strong.

Because many ranges want to check all your ammo for steel, so they prohibit loaded mags so they don't have to wait for you to unload them to check

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Transporting UNLOADED Magazines is just an extra step to keep people out of trouble in the event that they are stopped...

It only takes a few seconds to load your magazines when you get to the range...

THIS :thumbsup:

so this brings me to ask the question, in the eyes of the persons involved, which looks more menacing/dangerous, three 16 round magazines loaded to capacity or 5 seven round speed loaders, loaded, for a revolver?

...and about going to the range with magazines loaded, if a magnet is used to check the ammo, ya gotta unload it, with a speed loader, not so. hmm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because many ranges want to check all your ammo for steel, so they prohibit loaded mags so they don't have to wait for you to unload them to check

The ranges I use don't do this, so it's a moot point to me.

YMMV

BTW, there is no such thing as extra legal. It's legal or it's not.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    THIS :thumbsup:

so this brings me to ask the question, in the eyes of the persons involved, which looks more menacing/dangerous, three 16 round magazines loaded to capacity or 5 seven round speed loaders, loaded, for a revolver?

...and about going to the range with magazines loaded, if a magnet is used to check the ammo, ya gotta unload it, with a speed loader, not so. hmm.

Menacing to who? LE? Why are they looking at the contents of your range bag?

I live in the real world. My range doesn't use magnets. Yet. And I don't allow my vehicle to be searched.

To MD'ers, I guess guns are menacing. To me people with guns can act in a menacing manner.

Like I said BGOS.

Holy mackerel.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    The ranges I use don't do this, so it's a moot point to me.

YMMV

BTW, there is no such thing as extra legal. It's legal or it's not.

get ready for an attitude adjustment when you go to another range with a friend in a more metro area. we all don't have access to your stellar range. so, thats that. dang i shoot on my property, and don't have to worry about that inconvenience, so there!

WTF=extra legal?:lol2:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is the NRA Range in Fairfax metro enough? They ask if you have steel ammo, but they don't inspect your ammo.

Extra legal as in extra safe.

The law and transport laws are binary, not analog.

But YMMV.

:D

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    From 4-203: the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

It does not say while you stop to eat at a restaurant or while you stop to get gas on your way to or from the range or any other approved place to transport to and from.

Good luck to your lawyer articulating in court that you were just stopping at the restaurant to display your collection that you mistakenly left in the car.

There are two separate laws that come into play concerning loaded magazines. The first is a no loaded magazines in the hunting portion of the law pertaining to a rifle, which is completely separate from the handgun portion of the law that does not restrict loaded HANDGUN magazines being carried in your vehicle WITH the firearm and NOT in the firearm.

We as gun owners need to stop perpetuating ******** that doesn't exist in the law. If it isn't in the law it is legal, period. This is why we have slowly lost all of our 2A rights because we keep spreading ******** as if it were law and little johny that is new to this thinks you are right and the ripple effect keeps on going on.

I carry my magazines loaded because I can, I want to and it's not illegal, that is reason enough

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And since stopping while on the way to these activities isn't specifically prohibited, it may also be interpreted as legal. Laws tell you what you cannot do, not what you can do

Some state's laws specifically use the word "directly or without stopping."

MD statute does not.

As you say, if it's not prohibited it's legal.

YMMV.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    And since stopping while on the way to these activities isn't specifically prohibited, it may also be interpreted as legal. Laws tell you what you cannot do, not what you can do

As you say, if it's not prohibited it's legal.

YMMV.

It becomes prohibited when they tell you exactly where you can go to and from.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    4-203 mentions "On the way to or returning from"does not specify directly.

I have no issues stopping to get gas or grabbing a burger if it's on my route.

Personal choice I guess.

From 4-203: the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

IANAL

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    4-203 mentions "On the way to or returning from"does not specify directly.

I have no issues stopping to get gas or grabbing a burger.

Personal choice I guess.

Is says to or from specific places, there is no gray area that you keep wanting to debate. Going to jail for deciding to not obey the law is a personal choice, so is having to file for bankruptcy to have to defend that personal choice and stay out of jail for being a hard head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom