Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 27th, 2019, 05:15 PM #151

Finished up the WV season yesterday. We got our 15 in the morning, and brought another guy out for the afternoon, which has been when the mallards were active. other guy got his 5. Mallards showed up about 10 minutes after shooting light, and in numbers I've only seen in the midwest. I've been waterfowling for a while now and I haven't had a day like today. I'm shocked at the amount of birds in our area, especially ducks.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 08:27 AM #152

Finished off the season in Northern Virginia yesterday. Ended with quite the mixed bag; woody pair, geese pair, banded ring neck (2007 in Canada), drake mallard. This was my first season going after waterfowl and Iím hooked. Already getting ready for next season lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 09:56 AM #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Finished up the WV season yesterday. We got our 15 in the morning, and brought another guy out for the afternoon, which has been when the mallards were active. other guy got his 5. Mallards showed up about 10 minutes after shooting light, and in numbers I've only seen in the midwest. I've been waterfowling for a while now and I haven't had a day like today. I'm shocked at the amount of birds in our area, especially ducks.
River? Lake? Field?

Congrats to everyone else. I didn't even get out on the last day . Next year I will be doing things differently. These past two years of only hunting the Upper Potomac have not been good at all.
Old January 28th, 2019, 09:56 AM #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
River? Lake? Field?

Congrats to everyone else. I didn't even get out on the last day . Next year I will be doing things differently. These past two years of only hunting the Upper Potomac have not been good at all.

Cut corn field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 02:21 PM #155

My group in St. Mary's had an excellent weekend on the Potomac. We saw canvasbacks in numbers never seen before there. I asked a few of the elders who have been hunting the area since the early 70's and they confirmed there haven't been cans in real huntable numbers since the early 80's. We also had a lot of bluebills come in along with the usual buffleheads.

Can anyone on the Eastern Shore or in Delaware give a snow goose report?
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 02:22 PM #156

Speaking of "getting ready" for next year, I have ~200lbs of lead in my garage waiting to be fashioned into ring and "muffin tin" weights.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 04:51 PM #157
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
Silver lining. Always a silver lining. There is always another season around the corner or another hobby. Fishing season is coming up. Then, for me there is cycling and shooting during the spring, summer, and fall.

I know you get out and do some fishing with your kids, so that is something to look forward to as waterfowl season comes to a close. Time to start getting the tackle sorted out and ready for the warmer weather.

Did you kill anything today?

Another silver lining is that at least you were able to get out and hunt.
We killed a few on Saturday and a limit on Friday.
#2 son got a new Penn Battle II reel for Christmas and it looks like #1 son will be using someone's commercial crabbing license this season so yes, the talk Saturday was about getting ready to fish.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 02:06 PM #158

Drove up to Long Island Saturday morning. Left my place at 6:15 and got to Long Island at 10:30. Saw all of 5 groups of geese in the air and a single group of ducks. It was quite pathetic compared to years past. Only saving grace was that I saw some guys towing a duck boat on Long Island and it looked like they had come back from duck hunting. They had the tailgate down and I could see a couple of birds in there. That got me excited. I wonder how difficult it is to live on Long Island and actually go hunting. Maybe hunting is pretty good out on the east side of the island.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports