• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll bite why is Berretta purported by some to be more better-er than Browning for O/Us ? What did the furriners know that JMB didn't ?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Both are fine shotguns.

They are built slightly differently, so some people fit a Beretta better than a Browning and vice versa.

And in shotguns, fit is VERY important.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    True dat .

But people come in all sizes , so subtle differences in stock dimention should average out . But here in MDS always seeing Beretta being referred as both the standout of their $$ class, and the least expensive "serious" O/U . Why ? Why not Browning, or equal split between B and B ?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    True dat .

But people come in all sizes , so subtle differences in stock dimention should average out . But here in MDS always seeing Beretta being referred as both the standout of their $$ class, and the least expensive "serious" O/U . Why ? Why not Browning, or equal split between B and B ?

When I was looking for an O/U, it was between a Beretta and a Browning. After holding and mounting both, I preferred the Browning over the Beretta. They are both fine shotguns.

P.S. I ended up with a Caesar Guerini and it is mo betta than both the Browning and the Beretta. Just my opinion of course :D

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mainly because there are more gunsmiths, parts, barrels and models of competition shotguns available for Beretta over Browning.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    And Browning customer service is good but slooooooow for repairs if you have to send in your gun. Caesar Guerini office located on the eastern shore I believe.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    So why doesn't anyone like the Benelli 828U? Or is it that the Benelli O/U's cater more to the upland hunting crowd?

It’s super light. It’s weird looking. It has a manual safety. It’s marketed as a field gun. It’s not a field tested design like a Browning or Beretta or Ceasar Guerini. It marks up the hulls. They can still be reloaded but it’s annoying. Should I go on?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ironically , I posted a mini-review of the 828U in August 2016 ( too Luddite to link , but if you click on my statistics under threads started , its on page 3 ) .

Acknowledgement up front , I was hitting virtually everything with it , easier than with anything else in my experience . At one level , that should be what matters .

BUT , applying conventional wisdom -

It's innovative design . In rifles and autoloading pistols we would praise that. In double shotguns , tradition and reputation for long term durability are praised . How will the 828U hold up to 20 or 30 years of heavy use ? Get back in 20yrs .

They are quite light, and nuetral handling, with balance at hinge pin . If your formative exposure was to hunting, or old school skeet, you will probably like it . But the current buying trends / cycle of fads is going the other direction .

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Benelli was doing a demo of one at some shoot I went to at Pintail, it might be alright for the hunting crowd but not a target shooter. Too light.

My heart skipped a beat when he told us the field model that I just shot was around $2,500 MSRP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It appears that in summer 2018 Benelli introduced a 828 Sport , with weight of 3,650g ( a hair over 8lb in 'Murican ) . Well introduced in Europe and Australia apparently , but not yet listed on Benelli USA .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It’s super light. It’s weird looking. It has a manual safety. It’s marketed as a field gun. It’s not a field tested design like a Browning or Beretta or Ceasar Guerini. It marks up the hulls. They can still be reloaded but it’s annoying. Should I go on?

Manual safety can be easily disabled. But I saw this review

and decided to pass for now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have a Browning Citori Lightning and a Beretta 686 Onyx. They were about the same price point. The Beretta was maybe $100 more than the Browning at the time I bought the stupid Browning. The Browning is harder to clean when it comes to the action. The Browning did not have chrome lined barrels like the Beretta 686, so the barrels must be cleaned out every time the gun is used or they rust up. Where the forearm and receiver meet on the Browning, it galled up pretty good with very few rounds through the gun, the Beretta hasn't galled up very much at all. Cannot remember the last time I cleaned the 686, which has been my dad's main hunting gun for the past 15 years and I cannot remember the last time the Browning Citori has been fired. My dad's Winchester 101 from the 60's is way better than that Browning Citori, neither of which fit me really well.

Browning - made in Japan
    Beretta - made in Italy (slightly biased here)

Beretta has been around for 500+ years, Browning not so much. Beretta's customer service is better than Browning's.

The Beretta family owns a bunch of gun related companies. Beretta, Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Burris, Sako, Tikka, and Uberti. If Beretta made safes, I would buy a Beretta safe. Alas, I own a Browning safe and would probably buy another. Browning makes some good safes. lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Where the forearm and receiver meet on the Browning, it galled up pretty good with very few rounds through the gun,

I put a dab of grease here and on the hinge pin every time I assemble the shotgun. No galling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom