• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Hi all,

New guy here. I shot 22s at summer camp as a kid, went skeet shooting a couple of times as a teen, and have gone target shooting a handful of times in the many years since. I inherited a few guns years ago and have always sort of been saving the hobby for “later.”

A few weeks ago I went shooting with a friend and the bug seems to have taken hold. That’s great except for the fact that everyone else in the world picked now to be a gun buyer. My choices in firearms and ammo are very limited. I’ll be posting in the recreational shooting forum for input in the near future.

My HQL class is scheduled in a couple of weeks. I assume that process is backed up now and that it will take months. :)

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    Welcome. Get what ya can when ya can where ya can. Be forewarned. They multiply quickly
    Once ya opened Pandora’s Enjoy

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    Welcome.
    There's a thread re HQL processing / wait times. It's always updated. You will have a very good idea of how long the process is.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    There is never a perfect time to get into firearms. Firearms (and ammo) are an ebb and flow market. The old timers will tell tales of buying 5 WWII Mausers for 5 dollars at the hardware store. Those were good days.

OTOH today you can assemble a high quality AR built to your own personal specs for a very reasonable price. Suppressors are finally becoming an attainable reality. Affordable quality red dots are a game changer. The internet/youtube has become an invaluable resource for all things guns. Today is a great day to get into the game.

Welcome to the party, pal.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    welcome to the hobby!

indoor ranges are great places to try several model handguns and the HQL process, while recently an issue with the MSP Data Center going offline, seems to be back at it's normal ± 30 day turn around. firearm availability is tight/worsening and the same holds true for ammo. Mainstream calibers (9/223/556) are getting harder to come by and the less popular ones (38/357/380) haven't been on the shelves for some time. I still have 9/223/556 in stock. Link in my signature block will take you to the thread. Let me know if I can help.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Welcome- you sound just like me. I’ve successfully gotten through the process pretty recently and now my main challenge is getting ammo (once you know what caliber you want I’d recommend jumping on that now, might even want to avoid 9mm for that reason). I don’t think hql turn time is that bad but sounds like where it was 15-20 days to approval it’s now pushing a month. Also taking awhile to get guns shipped to stores. You can certainly use the wait time to rent different guns at a range and decide what you want.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    And I should have read through the replies - Yes, what Shamrock said. I will say I was able to get Speer JHP shipped to my house recently from luckygunner, that’s the “hope I never have to use it” small stockpile, but getting range ammo is rough now so if you’re serious about this try to jump on any opportunity to get 1000 rounds of something decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom