• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I made a spread sheet which calculates your savings per round based on the store bought ammo, powder cost, carriage cost, projectile costs and primer costs. Once you have the brass you can place a zero cost because the are reusable and shows additional savings.

Attachments

• Reload Savings.xlsx
      14.2 KB · Views: 118

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    All my reloading is costing me $, not saving cause there is no ammo to buy if I'm not reloading. (just reloaded 200 rounds of 9mm while listening on a work meeting I"m required to attend but not participate)

sorry, just had to say it.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Saving money? Lol I think we all spend the same amount but we just shoot more if we reload :D

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I appreciate the OP's work and him sharing his spreadsheet. Most of us who have been reloading for 30+ years already have similar versions. My Excel file has a tab by caliber - and a lot of tabs. No need to share it. Same Excel formulas.

Loading your own ammo can be (but not always) a savings. That depends on the cartridge, it's availability, price point etc. For example:
    - I can reload 7.62x39 ammo. But shooting steel case Tula/Wolf in my SKS's and AK's is much cheaper- for now.
    - Common pistol calibers like 9mm, 40 etc. reloading cost is a wash.
    - For accuracy calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 Win, 270 Win, 303B etc. I can load rounds more accurate than factory for much less than the price of factory ammo.
    - My 223/556 reloads are always cheaper and shoot better than factory ammo in my guns.
    - Then there are the "obsolete" calibers like 7.7J, 6.5J, 6.5 Carcano etc. when reloading is almost an economical must.
    - Add to that: BP cartridges. To shoot BP rifles like Sharps, Springfields Rolling Blocks, etc. -> Rolling your own is the only way to go.

Loading your own can be less $ or more...

It just depends...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have not kept track of costs for a LONG time.

I enjoy reloading. I prefer my loads for my uses.

I buy components in bulk when I find a good price, so hard to keep track of actual costs.

But I started reloading in college when I got my 1911. At the time, using Bullseye and casting bullets using scrap linotype, I was shooting .45 ACP for about 1.4 cents per round. And 1 cent of that was the primer. BTW, at that time, CCI MiniMags were 2 cents per round.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Yes have been reloading for many years too. Started off in the 70s reloading shotgun shells. Then started 30-06, APC45, 30-30 and 6.72. I was loading match APC45 for our pistol team. Back then there was only balance scales and always need to be checked for accuracy. I thing today with a good digital scale loads are more accurate and tunable. Today I typically load 30-30, 45-70, 50 Cal. S&W and 40 Cal. S&W. Atypical box of 50 Cal S&W runs between 45 and 60 bucks for 20. I typically save well over a buck per round when reloading per round.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't see time or equipment amortization in that spreadsheet. Even if your job doesn't do OT, you could be doing SOMETHING else, like spending time with your family or spouse, or working a side job or whatever. Equipment is also not free, and requires some degree of maintenance (even if it's just lube, and let's be real, stuff does break and need to be replaced out of warranty).

I'm realistic about why I reload: I want to know exactly what I'm putting in my rounds while producing them at a semi-reasonable cost per round. Right now, 9mm actually makes my time more-or-less worth it, because I am assuming a 20 year amortization cycle and about 15 hours to reload 7k rounds. But when prices drop back down, even 24cpr Syntech 150gr is technically going to save me money.

Precision 223 and 308 makes slightly more sense, but even then, if FGMM-level performance is good enough, it probably isn't usually worthwhile given how long making batches takes.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I often cheat the system by buying new brass and loading from there. Wolf 223 brass was the deal of the century at 15 cents delivered. Now it’s just fill and seat a match bullet.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Yet another spreadsheet! Includes worksheets for labels (both large and small), payback on equipment costs, energy calculator.
    Not really sure where I came across this one, but includes everything I need.

Attachments

• Handload Costs.xlsx
      63.3 KB · Views: 85

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Simple.. so for pistol caliber (9mm, 45)
    , I can just plug in the fields as appropriate?

If you're referring to my above post, yup. I have actually used "SAVE AS" and have a seperate spreadsheet for each caliber I reload. Change any component and you just need to enter only the different data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom