Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 21st, 2020, 10:11 PM #1
American Patriot

American Patriot

Easier lead removal cheap!

I have Taurus Tracker revolvers with internal compensators. If you shoot lead bullets in these things, eventually they grow lead and carbon. In the past I have used the 50/50 vinegar/hydrogen peroxide and Q tips and scrapping to get it clean.

Recently I read some posts about people keeping their screw on compensators clean. One method was to spray them with some stuff which would keep the lead from forming. I thought this sounded great but I wanted to use something cheaper and easier to purchase.

Enter Deep Creep. Anyone who has owned an boat probably knows about Seafoam and Deep Creep. We used them to clean built up carbon from our pistons and cylinders. I figured I would try it on one of my Taurus revolver. This revolver compensator had a medium amount of lead in it when I decided to spray it and shoot some bullets. I couldn't believe it but, shooting the wet compensator took the lead and carbon residue off the compensator. When I saw how well this worked, I decided to try cleaning the carbon buildup from the cylinders as I had been shooting 44 Special loads in my .44 mag revolver. I shot 12 bullets using Berry Bullets and the cylinders were clean.

Just thought I would pass this tip on in case a MDS member had the same problem.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2020, 11:28 PM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
I have Taurus Tracker revolvers with internal compensators. If you shoot lead bullets in these things, eventually they grow lead and carbon. In the past I have used the 50/50 vinegar/hydrogen peroxide and Q tips and scrapping to get it clean.

Recently I read some posts about people keeping their screw on compensators clean. One method was to spray them with some stuff which would keep the lead from forming. I thought this sounded great but I wanted to use something cheaper and easier to purchase.

Enter Deep Creep. Anyone who has owned an boat probably knows about Seafoam and Deep Creep. We used them to clean built up carbon from our pistons and cylinders. I figured I would try it on one of my Taurus revolver. This revolver compensator had a medium amount of lead in it when I decided to spray it and shoot some bullets. I couldn't believe it but, shooting the wet compensator took the lead and carbon residue off the compensator. When I saw how well this worked, I decided to try cleaning the carbon buildup from the cylinders as I had been shooting 44 Special loads in my .44 mag revolver. I shot 12 bullets using Berry Bullets and the cylinders were clean.

Just thought I would pass this tip on in case a MDS member had the same problem.
Be careful with that. Unlike metallic lead, lead acetate is a lot more toxic as it's much more readily absorbed into the body. Lead acetate requires separate disposal, don't flush into the sewer system, water or soil.
Alan3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2020, 05:12 AM #3
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan3413 View Post
Be careful with that. Unlike metallic lead, lead acetate is a lot more toxic as it's much more readily absorbed into the body. Lead acetate requires separate disposal, don't flush into the sewer system, water or soil.
I'm aware of the dangers and take the proper precautions including sending it out with my chrome stripping hazmat. That said, I may not have to use it anymore as it appears that the Deep Creep method really works well.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2020, 06:27 AM #4

Easier lead removal cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
I'm aware of the dangers and take the proper precautions including sending it out with my chrome stripping hazmat. That said, I may not have to use it anymore as it appears that the Deep Creep method really works well.

Iíll bite. What is the deep creep method?

NM, I saw your previous post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Todd S is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading