• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Can Deer urine spread CWD?

In a report released by the task force, the case against deer urine appears to be grounded in science. When I contacted some of the authors of the scientific papers cited, however, I learned that a deer would have to imbibe gallons of urine from a dying animal to fall ill; a few ounces sprayed around a hunting site doesn’t pose a risk. One of the papers’ authors, Nicholas Haley, a professor of immunology and microbiology at Midwestern University, told me that his lab had fed or injected more than a hundred mice with infected urine. Only one became sick—a mouse that had received an injection of highly concentrated urine directly into the brain.

Why does NY plan to ban deer urine but not meat? Because politics, not science. Banning urine, easy and politically not risky. Banning transport of meat? good luck with that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Why does NY plan to ban deer urine but not meat? Because politics, not science. Banning urine, easy and politically not risky. Banning transport of meat? good luck with that.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on?

I haven't heard anything about deer urine being toxic. Most products come from pen raised deer.

I never use the stuff anymore.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Now we won't have to worry about deer pee in the outdoor shower.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Better to be pissed off than pissed on?

I haven't heard anything about deer urine being toxic. Most products come from pen raised deer.

I never use the stuff anymore.

My understanding of CWD is that it is caused by prions like Mad Cow disease. I don't know if they are found in urine but it sounds as if that is the concern.

They say that CWD can't cross from deer to humans but yet they tell you to avoid eating the parts of the deer that include the nervous system (nerve tissue, brains (I always wondered how you avoid all nerve tissue)).

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My understanding of CWD is that it is caused by prions like Mad Cow disease. I don't know if they are found in urine but it sounds as if that is the concern.

That appears to be the concern - the prions are potentially in the urine (even for farm raised deer).

But it takes tends of gallons per deer, evidently, for CWD to be contagious - and then only if the urine is injected directly in their brain. So, don't dip your arrow/boolits in deer pee and shoot them in the head and let them run off. I guess. But NY will ban it just in case, for the children.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Here's the thing, without reading the exact methodology in the paper, testing CWD from an ungulate in a mouse isn't remotely close to a perfect analog. As mentioned, the evidence for CWD transmission to humans is limited. I am pretty sure transmission to mice would be as well.

Humans CAN get CWD, it is just unlikely/hard.

I don't think we know exactly how CWD is being spread in the wild, but I believe the popular theory is through urine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom