It is September 1st. Seeing any in "hard horn" yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For the first time in the 5 years we've lived in the new home, we have not seen 1 buck. Not one! A few does and earlier in the year 1 doe with a spotted fawn. But something happened this year and they are no where to be seen.

I'm bummed!

I've seen a few 6 and 8 point bucks and a couple of forks the last month. However, not a single one around where I'll be hunting. All Does. Though at least where I'll be hunting I haven't seen any fawns (I have elsewhere).

I saw a nice foursome a BIG does down in Potapsco in the power lines just out of crossbow range (I ranged them at 326 yards :lol2:). Looked like a couple of 2 1/2yr olds and a couple of 4 1/2 or 5 1/2yr olds.

As much as I wanted to do a climbing tree stand purchase right, I went cheap. Big Game The Outlook from Cabela's last night with their sales (I am aware there was a recall on a batch of them 2 years ago.

Maybe stuff could change, but I am a "hunt from a stand only if there is no other way" kind of hunter. Going down in to Potapsco, the only way with a bow I am getting something is from a tree stand. At least until the foliage starts coming off the bushes and trees. A lot of good places from a stand though.

If it turns out I really start using one I'll go do some in person research on some of the nicer Summit and Wolf stands.

I think I'll have a few hours Saturday late afternoon and evening I can get out. Probably not till the following Thursday then.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I saw a fork buck on the side of the GW parkway last night. It was standing about 1 yard off of the roadway in the fog/rain and (as my life flashed before my eyes because I thought he might step in front of me) I noticed he had no velvet. He was standing very upright and staring...it seemed like he was looking around for some fellow bachelors to run with.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My wife is seeing bucks on the shoulder of 95 between 152 and 43 many mornings. She tells me yesterday that she saw 2 large bucks eating on the side of the road without a care in the world. I've got 400 acres behind my house and I don't see 1 buck.

Life isn't fair....

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    This was three weeks ago
    8c76ca0caf2d56f1e1e41b56a2a57450.jpg

And last Wednesday
    236da4e92b07c3e81159b71163ffbc6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This was three weeks ago
    8c76ca0caf2d56f1e1e41b56a2a57450.jpg

And last Wednesday
    236da4e92b07c3e81159b71163ffbc6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both pics are still in velvet.

Here are two deer one just out of velvet. The other just starting to shed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_153845058.jpg
      IMG_20170910_153845058.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_20170910_153235017.jpg
      IMG_20170910_153235017.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 100

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Have some pics from a couple weeks ago in velvet, but pulled pics today and they look pretty hard...

Attachments

• STC_0572 small.jpg
      STC_0572 small.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 88

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Yesterday I was on a job eating lunch in my truck.I saw something moving in the woods about 50 yrds away.There was a 6pt totally destroying a small dead tree limb.Not the usual up and down rubbing on a tree.He was twisting and turning and picking the multi branched limb off the ground.He was giving it hell.Never saw this kind of behavior before.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Went outside after dark yesterday and there was a 6 point in my front yard light with his nose so far up the arse of a doe I couldn't see it and they didn't care that I was 25 feet from them at one point. Is the rut starting early?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dang! You guys have some good sized bucks walking by your trail cameras. Granted I am basically all public land hunting, but other than that 8-pt I got 2 years ago, the biggest I've seen afield was a really big fork. Been all spikes, buttons or 85% have been does.

Maybe this year doing some more early season hunting on public land plus having a climber will help with that (need 2 does or ML/gun season for another buck though).

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Dang! You guys have some good sized bucks walking by your trail cameras. Granted I am basically all public land hunting, but other than that 8-pt I got 2 years ago, the biggest I've seen afield was a really big fork. Been all spikes, buttons or 85% have been does.

Maybe this year doing some more early season hunting on public land plus having a climber will help with that (need 2 does or ML/gun season for another buck though).

I built my house about 5 years ago and have been working on a spot to draw them in and this is the first really nice buck I have seen. Usually I see a spike buck or a small 4 pointer but the work put is finally paying off. I have hunted public land before and didn't have any luck but the first time I went to hunt public land I walked around a corner where I was going to sit and there was a doe about 10 yards away and darted off. Never saw a deer after that haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom