• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    I am looking to get a row boat from a friend and wondering if I am going to be able to register it so I can put a motor on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Do you have the title?

Also, boats with motors below a certain HP threshold cost zero bucks to register. I believe the HP rating is 7 or 7.5

You should be well below that with a row boat.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Do you have the title?

Also, boats with motors below a certain HP threshold cost zero bucks to register. I believe the HP rating is 7 or 7.5

You should be well below that with a row boat.

Last time I talked to him he made it sound like they didn't have titles for them since their row boats. So I would say no.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    You might want to call DNR. Im sure they can answer this for you. Ive never registered one without a title.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    No title, no motor. Does it have a VIN on the stern? I've heard of folks that have managed to get a title but it's a process I wasn't able to pull off.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    No title, no motor. Does it have a VIN on the stern? I've heard of folks that have managed to get a title but it's a process I wasn't able to pull off.

I am going to check it out tomorrow. He said it has coast guard inspection stickers, if that helps?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Another concern is the transom being strong enough to support a motor.

Even a 2.5/3.5 is going to be in the 40 pound range.

Is there a coast guard warning/capacity sticker on the transom? Never mind.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You just need a bill of sale to get a title. Some boats do not need to be registered at all. MD also has a sample boat bill of sale that you can fill out.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I don't know the law but giving my experience with this state and all it regulations with out a title I believe at best you could probably get away with an electric trolling motor anything fuel powered would require a title for registration. Now I am sure there are ways to get such a piece of paper but what size row boat are we talking about because it would need some kinda of serial number to even be registered into the system. Here's some semi useful md.gov info on the subject http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Pages/registration.aspx

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    I don't know the law but giving my experience with this state and all it regulations with out a title I believe at best you could probably get away with an electric trolling motor anything fuel powered would require a title for registration. Now I am sure there are ways to get such a piece of paper but what size row boat are we talking about because it would need some kinda of serial number to even be registered into the system. Here's some semi useful md.gov info on the subject http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Pages/registration.aspx

It's a 12 foot alumicraft. Thanks for the link!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This is great if true!

I did it with a canoe that I bought from a member here. I registered it so I xould get a Lich Raven Permit.

This is the bill of sale I used. We did not get it notorized although the DMV always wants them that way.

If it helps, I did this at the Bel Air dnr office in about 5 minutes.

Attachments

• B118.pdf
      53.2 KB · Views: 359

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    You just need a bill of sale to get a title. Some boats do not need to be registered at all. MD also has a sample boat bill of sale that you can fill out.

This hasn't been my experience in the past. BOS was no bueno for MD title. I picked up a crunched 14' jon boat that got in a fight with a tree limb from some crack head and fixed it. Tried with the DNR up in Cumberland and no go with a bill of sale. Needed old title. I did luck out and spent the $14 for a title search off the hull id number and the boat was still titled in my neighbors name so for $20 or so I was able to get him to request a duplicate. Small boats with a title are worth at least $100 more than ones without.

Oh yeah, if you get a trailer get your buddy to write two BOS's for the trailer and hull because DNR and DMV will both tax you on the full amount if you don't itemize. Been there, felt that.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Your welcome buddy. After seeing boat and a little research with what you have found call DNR if still on the edge and they will give you a yes or no. Or will ask for you to provide... info. Now giving it's a 12' alumacraft I would assume it has/had a hull identification plate with S/N, max capacity and a motor rating. All will be helpful but never tried with a non titled boat but believe it can be registered but will it be worth it. Always a lot of free or cheap boats on Craigslist because of the possible hassle that can come with them. Can only suggest to not make anything final before your positive you can legally put a motor on it or have other plans for it if it doesn't work out.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    FYI, all boats with any type of propulsion need to be registered. When I worked at BPS if we sold an inflatable boat with a trolling motor, DNR required us to register it.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Good to know didn't realize that. Seen many inflatables and kayak ride around with trolling motors but no visible sticker. But then again this is Maryland and they want there hands in every thing.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    FYI, all boats with any type of propulsion need to be registered. When I worked at BPS if we sold an inflatable boat with a trolling motor, DNR required us to register it.

Good to know didn't realize that. Seen many inflatables and kayak ride around with trolling motors but no visible sticker. But then again this is Maryland and they want there hands in every thing.

Not new by a long stretch

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

Maryland isn't the only one, if it has any motor on it most states require a registration. It is free in MD if less than 5hp to register, or it was.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    UPDATE!!!! Just got of the phone with DNR and I will be able to register it under my circumstances it should be fairly easy to do. I have some paperwork to fill out and then will be on my way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom