• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Anybody know the going price for a baby corn or black rat snake?
    Thanks

Depending on their age and what morph they should run anywhere from $20 for very young (not recommended for newb) on up to over $100 for a breeder that happens to be a popular morph.

Try to find someone local. Nothing worse than buying a sick snake from someone you'll never see again.

Good Luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Insist on the snake being fed a pinky before you buy one.

Some juvenile snakes are mighty picky eaters.

Many a vendor won't feed at the show. Not the best idea to feed and then let a bunch of folks handle the recently fed snake.

That's why I recommend an older snake. That way you know you've got an eater and should be okay with those picky eaters.

I had one of the first Albino Kenyan Sand Boas available for sale and like a dummy, I needed it as soon as the breeder would sell it. Well, I never got the guy to eat. I even tried pinky heads with brain matter exposed. This snake would not eat anything. Yogurt did nothing either. After about 6 weeks, it died.

Afterwards, I talked to the breeder and he lost 2 that he kept too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Need frozen rats, was waiting on Hamburg, but might hit Timonium too to check it out. Guess no venemous being MD, wouldn't own one, but they are cool too see.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Need frozen rats, was waiting on Hamburg, but might hit Timonium too to check it out. Guess no venemous being MD, wouldn't own one, but they are cool too see.

No venomous in MD. Rick Krumrine should be at the show. He and his wife are good people. He usually sells frozen rodents.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Anybody know the going price for a baby corn or black rat snake?

I'll second Rick Krumrine. I've dealt with him multiple times before, he's always been very friendly. His corn snakes are reasonably priced too.

Most proper corn snake breeders/hatchers wont sell a just hatched snake. They typically wait for it's first shed then feeding. I had one little guy that was kind of finicky and wouldn't eat live because he liked his meals warmer. I basically had to cook the thawed pinkie. I fought with him for like a month of him barely eating. I gave him 2 weeks of no handling or feeding and now he is one of better feeders. Btw when you first get one they say you should let them relax for a week without handling them and don't handle them for 2 day after a feeding.

Most corns are going to be about 30-60 for some of the more common morphs. I've seen young ones in the 4-500 range for fancy ones and some up near 1500 for more rare stuff. I would shoot for anything under $100. Fyi for tank set up for smaller snakes walmart has 10 gal tanks for $14 and screen lids for $8 but they don't carry the locking clips.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Just a comment, this is the gun show section. This may better served in the water cooler.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Anyone know if any vendor will have blue gootys there? Gooty sapphire?

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      15.4 KB · Views: 219

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Anyone know if any vendor will have blue gootys there? Gooty sapphire?

I didn't see any there that I noticed when i did a quick lap at the end but did see some cobalt blue trantulas.

I some how got talked talked into getting a super dwarf retic by my wife. She also got a black axolotl.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I didn't see any there that I noticed when i did a quick lap at the end but did see some cobalt blue trantulas.

I some how got talked talked into getting a super dwarf retic by my wife. She also got a black axolotl.

Do you know what percentage of dwarf you bought? It's very rare to find a 100% Dwarf Retic. Usually they are just crossed with hopefully a full dwarf. Sometime though, breeders will breed a regular Retic to a 50% or even a 25% dwarf.

You do know they still have the temperament of the regular sized Retic?

I wish you luck. I've got a 3 inch scar on my left hand from a Retic swallowing my hand. It continued to chew on my hand while I held it under water. The only way we got it off was to pour whiskey over it's head. The owner didn't have any pure grain alcohol, which is what should have been used.

Needless to say, I don't like Retics...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wish I had known that, the kid and I would have checked it out.

I have been tossing around getting back into day geckos and possibly one of the smaller tortoises.

Its been a while since I have been part of the herp crowd (herptile that is)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Wish I had known that, the kid and I would have checked it out.

I have been tossing around getting back into day geckos and possibly one of the smaller tortoises.

Its been a while since I have been part of the herp crowd (herptile that is)

If you have time tomorrow, the show runs for 1 more day. Sometimes the best deals are gotten on the last day. Breeders want to pay for their tables and make a few dollars. Remember, every animal they take back home, they have to feed until the next show or it's sold.

It good just to get out into the herp crowd and see what's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom