• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Any body know anything about building ak 74 from an 80% lower?

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Any body know anything about building ak 74 from an 80% lower?

It's harder than building an AR, and easier than building an HK. If you're comfortable spending a few hundred on some harbor freight tools and doing stuff like pressing parts and cold riveting, then they're actually pretty easy to build from an 80% or a flat set.

It's not at all cheaper than just buying a Saiga/Vepr/Arsenal, especially if you want to use a good or interesting parts kit, but at the end of the day you now have a rifle that's 100% yours, if that matters to you.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    It's harder than building an AR, and easier than building an HK. If you're comfortable spending a few hundred on some harbor freight tools and doing stuff like pressing parts and cold riveting, then they're actually pretty easy to build from an 80% or a flat set.

It's not at all cheaper than just buying a Saiga/Vepr/Arsenal, especially if you want to use a good or interesting parts kit, but at the end of the day you now have a rifle that's 100% yours, if that matters to you.

With the price of parts kits now you'd have to build more than one to get about even into the tooling needed. Might as well buy a parts kit and have a builder do it.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    With the price of parts kits now you'd have to build more than one to get about even into the tooling needed. Might as well buy a parts kit and have a builder do it.

Yeah, like I said, a good parts kit alone is >$500 these days, especially if you're looking for a 74. Expect to spend over a grand to get it all built. That said, if you're into metalworking like I am and want to get your hands dirty with some real, honest-to-god gunsmithing, then it's absolutely worth it.

But be forewarned, building an AK or an HK can be a gateway drug to even more ambitious, more complicated, and more expensive builds...

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    I have watched a video and read up on the build process and it definitely does seem alittle more complicated than a ar15. The tools required is also a big investment as well but can lead to more projects in the future. I am looking for someone who can help me build one and show me the process.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    These guys conduct really good classes on building AKs. They used to travel around, and I attended an event they had in Maryland a few years ago. It seems now you have to travel to their place in Vegas. It's a bit expensive, but it includes all the parts to build a rifle, and you go home with your new gun.

https://www.rifledynamics.com/

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, the tooling alone will set you back enough that you'll need to build several to break even. Also parts kits aren't $99 anymore—even with tooling you won't be able to save much money rolling your own. I wouldn't build an AK I could otherwise buy unless it was something unusual.

That said, it's a fun journey if you have your heart set on it. Honestly I've had way more fun modifying sporter AKs.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Link up befriend, barter or gift with people who have built before to instruct you that’s what I did. Meet some great guys. Also it prevents you from screwing up a $200 barrel or $450 plus dollar parts kit. If you need some mags let me know I have a few contacts

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Link up befriend, barter or gift with people who have built before to instruct you that’s what I did. Meet some great guys. Also it prevents you from screwing up a $200 barrel or $450 plus dollar parts kit. If you need some mags let me know I have a few contacts

Yea, what he ^ said. Plenty of guys around these parts that would be willing to help you out.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    These guys conduct really good classes on building AKs. They used to travel around, and I attended an event they had in Maryland a few years ago. It seems now you have to travel to their place in Vegas. It's a bit expensive, but it includes all the parts to build a rifle, and you go home with your new gun.

https://www.rifledynamics.com/

Rifle Dynamics said:
    Due to current firearms restrictions, rifle build classes are not available for residents of MA, CT, NY, MD

:sad20::sad20::sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom