• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I picked up a Mauser, and I can't find any good identifying characteristics to help tell me when it was made. Are there any guides out there to help? It doesn't have the "98" stamped where I have seen it before, so through the power of deduction, I'm fairly sure it's a different model, but I can't find a serial number on it or anything. It does have "MA10" stamped on it, and "Manufactura Loeave_ _" next to that, but very worn.

Also, I want to be sure that it is safe to put 8mm rounds through this....from what I've read, it was common to rebore some of these rifles, and there were a handful of other calibers offered over the years.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Are you sure it doesn't say "Manufactura Loewe Berlin?" It sounds to me like either an Argentine or Chilean Mauser. I would say it is not safe to fire without being checked by a gunsmith, might not even shoot 8mm! Could shoot 7.65 Argentine or any number of calibers the South American countries used and converted rifles to in the 20th Century, including 7mm Mauser, 30-06, .308, and more. If marked as I suspect it's also an antique, Loewe went out of business in 1896.

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Does it cock on the opening or closing of the bolt?

It cocks when opening the bolt.

After looking at it in the sunlight, it definately says "Manufactura Loewe", but I'm fairly certain there's no "Berlin" behind that, because there's a notch that would prevent any verbage. It also says "Mauser Es_ _ _ _L" above that, which I can only assume is Mauser Espanol. The second word is badly worn, but I could make out the first two and the last letters, with space for what looks like 4 letters in between.

Does that narrow it down for anyone?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    NECRO THREAD BUMP!

I realized I never figured out what this rifle is, probably because I never posted pics. In the meantime, I've added another I need help ID'ing. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• M11.jpg
      M11.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 208
    • M12.jpg
      M12.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 207
    • M15.jpg
      M15.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 226
    • M16.jpg
      M16.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 219
    • M13.jpg
      M13.jpg
      36.3 KB · Views: 226

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Here's the second one I picked up. Probably not a Mauser, though I'm no expert. It is a single shot rifle...no magazine.

Attachments

• M21.jpg
      M21.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 209
    • M22.jpg
      M22.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 221
    • M23.jpg
      M23.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 227
    • M24.jpg
      M24.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 222
    • M25.jpg
      M25.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 222

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Im no Mauser expert but i believe the first mauser is a Spanish contract 1893 that was originally made in Lowe Berlin and later modified/updated by a Spanish armory such as Oviedo later on. The vent hole in the receiver is not original but is common for spanish small ring mausers such as the m1916. Its probably chambered in 7x57.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Actually on second look it was probably converted to 7.62 Cetme which is a lower pressure 7.62x51(308). I think that because you can see they fitted a smaller mag/trigger housing to the stock. If thats the case, id feel comfortable shooting 7.62x51 out of it being german made. The spanish made ones are known not to hold up too well because of the crappy spanish steel. Some say its a rumor about their steel but ive personally seen evidence that it sucks.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Second one looks like and M1871. The other looks like a m91 with m93-95 bottom metal.

Nope its got a claw extractor, means 93 -95

The other thing about high pressure 91 thru 95 is ther is no secondary torque shoulder in front of the bolt lugs which means less strength not more. not to mention smaller gas relief hole and non gas deflecting gas shield.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    No import stamp (maybe under barrel near muzzle) in the the suspected made for Spain Mauser?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    No import stamp (maybe under barrel near muzzle) in the the suspected made for Spain Mauser?

Other than the "Ma 10" near the chamber, I don't see any other markings other than this one on the stock.

Attachments

• M14.jpg
      M14.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 178

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Im no Mauser expert but i believe the first mauser is a Spanish contract 1893 that was originally made in Lowe Berlin and later modified/updated by a Spanish armory such as Oviedo later on. The vent hole in the receiver is not original but is common for spanish small ring mausers such as the m1916. Its probably chambered in 7x57.

Actually on second look it was probably converted to 7.62 Cetme which is a lower pressure 7.62x51(308). I think that because you can see they fitted a smaller mag/trigger housing to the stock. If thats the case, id feel comfortable shooting 7.62x51 out of it being german made. The spanish made ones are known not to hold up too well because of the crappy spanish steel. Some say its a rumor about their steel but ive personally seen evidence that it sucks.

Good info...thank you. That means it jives with Doco's assessment, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom