• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I am pretty brand new to reloading.

I need opinions on my 38spc load.

158gr Missouri coated LSWC bullet

I loaded it with 3.4gr of Bullseye. For 158gr LSWC Hornady's manual says 3.7gr max load, 850fps (800fps with a 3.4gr load). Alliant is telling me 3.5gr max load, 800fps.

Hornady says 4" barrel S&W something or other, Alliant doesn't tell you test barrel or platform.

My platform is a SIX inch Colt Official Police.

I loaded 3.4gr of Bullseye thinking that would be fine. Not max load, not super light. I was VERY careful in measuring the charges for all 12 rounds. I got 824fps with an SD of 14fps across the 12 shot string.

Now from what I've seen which revolver platform you are using matters a TON. Or at least my net ninja research seems to tell me that seeing a difference of >50fps between revolvers with the exact same barrel length and cartridge.

I know on a low pressure load, there are no pressure signs unless I am like double charging it or something.

Thoughts? I think it is safe. I feel like its good. But I guess I am being thrown by the velocity thinking it would be more like 750-780fps.

I guess I could load it to 3.3gr rather than 3.4gr. I don't want a cowboy action load, but I don't much mind if its a tiny bit less. To add my additional thinking, one of my next purchases I am hoping is a .357 lever gun and I'd prefer not to load up a ton of 38spc to pud velocities that aren't going to make it out of the rifle barrel because its loaded too light.

Thoughts?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Assuming the data is for a firearm resembling the one I'm loading for, I always start with a minimum (if one is stated) and work up in charge weight from there. If the data is stated only in terms of maximum load (and I cannot find a better source), I take 10% off the maximum and work up from there. I don't put too much faith in velocities stated in load data other than for a general idea of how fast. I would call 800fps and 850fps in the same ballpark. Your barrel is 6" whereas theirs was 4"...longer barrel will offer higher velocity. Your load sounds fine to me. How did it group?

Good to hear about your progress! Taking that first step into reloading is always the part that takes the most time. Also, make sure you write down everything that you're doing. Keep a logbook or spreadsheet.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That 3.4 with Bullseye is what I use for the exact same bullet for a 4" revolver. If I throw a little heavy, I have a lot of wiggle room and with that load I seem to get pretty accurate results.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys! That’s what I was hoping (and thought), but still nervous.

As for grouping, it grouped very well! A lot better than my 125gr load. But there it was my very first loading and I wasn’t super careful with the charge weight. I wasn’t near max, but I am pretty sure I had a couple rounds I loaded about .2gr hotter than the rest. I have to go look at my notes (being writing a ton of them in a loose leaf 3 ring binder), but I want to say I was going for 4.5gr (Alliant I think had DNR 4.2gr). Whatever Alloant said for DNR I went .3gr over.

Anyway, that load didn’t group great, but my SD was 56fps...

Going to try to redo a few rounds and be much more careful they are charged properly.

Those 158gr LSWC loads as well as the 45 loads I worked up I was super careful with. All of the SDs were 14-16fps. All of the 45 loads ran flawlessly (4.7 and 5gr loads of bullseye with a 230gr TMJ. I think I’ll stock with 5gr).

I am going to play with the automatic powder dispenser this weekend for 38spc loads making sure to weigh each charge from it for the first few and the last few. Been using scoops and scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom