• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    This is the first time I have seen this in person. He said he fired the gun and it didn't sound right so he stopped. When he opened the cylinder he noticed the bullet stuck just inside the barrel. I am glad he didn't try another round. I was a little surprised when I put a pencil down the barrel and it stopped well short of where the bullet should of been. After breaking a drill bit off this is what I got out. I would say he was extremely lucky.

Attachments

• 20200613_152809.jpg
      20200613_152809.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 742

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I took 8 bullets out of the barrel of a S&W 686+ for a friend. They only hold 7, so he reloaded and kept shooting. No damage to either him or the gun. Still, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    factory ammo?

I've seen this with reloads where:
    1) A primer-only case just pushed the bullet into the barrel an inch
    2) Someone swore that they remembered having pistol powder in the dump, when what came out of the barrel was long extruded powder

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Questions: 1) Was the gun ever fired before? 2) What kind of gun? 3) What kind of bullets are those? 4) Would they not tap out with a brass rod? 5) Did drilling that out damage the barrel or crown? 6) Is he going to take the gun to a gunsmith? (I would)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    not damaged? won't the barrel have a bulge or since a revolver, the excess pressure came out in the gap?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    not damaged? won't the barrel have a bulge or since a revolver, the excess pressure came out in the gap?

That's why I would take it to a smith. Heck, I can't figure out what kind of bullet(s) (if it is a bullet) I'm seeing on that drill bit. The drill bit may have done as much or more damage to the barrel than the projectile(s) did.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    That's why I would take it to a smith. Heck, I can't figure out what kind of bullet(s) (if it is a bullet) I'm seeing on that drill bit. The drill bit may have done as much or more damage to the barrel than the projectile(s) did.

Looks like soft jacketed hollow points. At least it should be easy to start a drill bit, but I could not bring myself to perform such a task. Hard to fathom that did not cause a bulge. One shot is usually not a problem, but the subsequent shots almost always cause a detectable bulge unless the loads are very light and the barrel is very heavy.

Had one obstruction in a .38 snubby and was able to push it out from the breach to the muzzle using some blocks of wood, a c-clamp, and pieces of brass rod short enough to be inserted from the breach yet long enough to use for pushing. Added a few drops of oil to the muzzle end letting it soak for a few minutes, and it slid out without much resistance and no damage to the revolver.

The difficult part is rigging it up so you protect the revolver, especially the muzzle, while performing the work.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Looks like soft jacketed hollow points. At least it should be easy to start a drill bit, but I could not bring myself to perform such a task. Hard to fathom that did not cause a bulge. One shot is usually not a problem, but the subsequent shots almost always cause a detectable bulge unless the loads are very light and the barrel is very heavy.

Had one obstruction in a .38 snubby and was able to push it out from the breach to the muzzle using some blocks of wood, a c-clamp, and pieces of brass rod short enough to be inserted from the breach yet long enough to use for pushing. Added a few drops of oil to the muzzle end letting it soak for a few minutes, and it slid out without much resistance and no damage to the revolver.

The difficult part is rigging it up so you protect the revolver, especially the muzzle, while performing the work.

Ah, I see that now. The drill bit pushed the lead through the opening in the jacket. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom