• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Been looking at optics mounts for my sgl 31-68. The irons are a bit fuzzy nowadays. The modular mounts look nice but I wonder if having another contact point is a good idea. I just want a solid mount for a red dot.

Do the gas tube mounts really scorch optics?

Thanks for any ideas. I’m leaning toward MWI. Lots out of stock though.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I use RS Regulate mounts with my AKs and like them. They've held fine with bumps, but they do recommend you pin them to be solid once you've got it centered over the bore

Nice red dots like Aimpoints will do fine with gas tube heat

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I am happy with the optics rail mounts from RS Regulate and Midwest Industries. It would be hard to go wrong with either one (I think the new Master Mount Picatinny rail would be a good choice too, but haven't personally tried it). I just put a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 on a Draco pistol build and am interested to see if the gen 1 Midwest Industries 30mm scope mount holds up.

I don't like putting red dots on gas tubes. They are really unnecessarily far forward for my tastes, and I personally have seen a number of good optics like Aimpoint CompM2s and Eotech 512s that spent a couple years mounted on Ultimaks die early deaths. Then again most of us take better care of our stuff than the Afghan or Iraqi armies, so maybe my opinion isn't super relevant to the present discussion. At any rate, while I prefer picatinny for versatility, the side optic rail is a really solid way of mounting optics. I'm honestly surprised at how well it has worked for holding zero, returning to zero, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom