• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone know how good the hunting is (mostly deer, likely) in the Staunton, VA area - around the George Washington National Forest? Any good gun clubs in that area?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Little North Mountain near Craigsville is where my FIL always bagged his.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I hunt in Bath County, about an hour SW of Staunton.

The deer herd, where we go, was abysmal 10 years ago. It's been coming back.

Lots of coyotes and black bears. Deer are very streetwise down there.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I don't hunt in VA. W MD-WV-PA mountains is where I hunt. I can tell you the coyotes are here and spreading bad news. They kill deer, turkeys, pets etc. Eliminate everyone you see. They have evolved down from Canada over the years. The black bear population has expanded also. Both bear and coyotes are avoided by deer. Good luck hunting this year!

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I've got friends in and around Staunton. They do a lot of coyote hunting and I mean A LOT. Video night scopes and pretty decent distances.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Are you local to that area? Used to be herds of 50-80 in most fields.... until opening day! ha ha. Like stated above - street savvy animals in them there hills.
    Good hunting but will cost you out of state license.

If your in Md - boat loads of deer here for sure. That's why in Region B a bow will get you 15 antlerless, Muzzy and rifle get you 10.

(Unlimited antlerless in the
    Suburban Deer Management
    Zone*) * Suburban Deer Management Zone is comprised of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince
    George’s counties
    See map for regions, pg. 14. (Maryland Hunting Regs)

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I don't hunt in VA. W MD-WV-PA mountains is where I hunt. I can tell you the coyotes are here and spreading bad news. They kill deer, turkeys, pets etc. Eliminate everyone you see. They have evolved down from Canada over the years. The black bear population has expanded also. Both bear and coyotes are avoided by deer. Good luck hunting this year!

This one in Scott County Clinch Mountain is no more.... :innocent0

Attachments

• 00000050.jpg
      00000050.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 172
    • 00000057.jpg
      00000057.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 174

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This guy was nice enough to pose for the camera a couple weeks ago.

Hoping one of my kiddos get a chance to see him during the youth hunt, next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_12521.jpg
      IMG_12521.jpg
      142.7 KB · Views: 137

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've hunted that area quite a bit over the years. If you want to kill deer, stay in Maryland where they are plentiful. If you want a very challenging hunt that requires really thinking about topography, thermals, ever-changing wind, lots of people during the firearms season, and the beautiful mountains, go there! I've hunted there a couple times every season for the past 7 years and have only managed to bag one deer. But I had a very steep learning curve my first years. As others have noted, bear and coyotes may be more plentiful than deer. But hopefully the deer population is coming back. There are also grouse in the area if you like bird hunting and have a dog. I usually hunt deer a couple times down there and hunt grouse a couple times. It's always about 20 degrees colder than you think it will be...keep that in mind if you make the trip. I hunted Thanksgiving weekend 3 years ago and remember it being 9 degrees when I got up in the morning. It had been about 45 the day before. The frost made the noisy leaves on the forest floor sound like I was walking on potato chips. It's a great place for a fun and challenging hunt. Also, I'm no expert, but I think the mountain deer are a slightly different sub-species or whatever. They are a little shorter and stockier in general...good for climbing mountains. Hunt the terrain and the acorns if they're out this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom