• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've seen this stuff referenced a lot, but where do you buy it? I did a quick search online and just went to two Walmarts and a Lowes and came up empty. I'm beginning to think this stuff is sort of like The Holy Grail. Often spoken of, but never actually seen!

I've started to look at alternatives for wet tumbling... I've heard about staying away from ammonia containing compounds (like Brasso, etc) ... I picked up a version of Oxi Clean "Triple Action Booster" that contains Glycolic Acid and surfactants to aid in rinsing. It's also billed as a cleaning booster/dishwasher cleaner, like the elusive Lemi Clean. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

I'll likely hop on Amazon and throw more $$ at Jeff Bezos... :-/

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    i got myns at the Anne Arundel walmart. I also saw them at the Dobbin Walmart in Columbia but that was 2 weeks ago.

I personally use armorall ultra shine and wax in conjunction with lemishine to get really shiny brass and degrease my pins with ZEP industrial purple from time to time.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    F bezos. Don't give him your pesos. You can get it, so I am told, from the guys at stainlesstumblingmedia.com or at some targets (in the household cleaning products section). Works great. That, dish soap, water, and time. For really nasty brass, try half an hour to an hour with just some dishwasher powder (e.g. cascade) and water. Then rinse and restart with normal recipe.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just buy a bucket of food grade citric acid(granules). It's a 10th of the cost and is the same thing. One bucket, around $30, is a lifetime supply.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Just buy a bucket of food grade citric acid(granules). It's a 10th of the cost and is the same thing. One bucket, around $30, is a lifetime supply.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to pick this up? I see smaller containers on amazon but going this route doesn’t save much over buying the lemi shine.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Yup. Lemishine is 99% citric acid with some other trivial crap added to try to justify the price.
    Check anyplace that sells canning equipment (Supermarket, Target, Walmart, etc) and they will have citric acid for sale.
    This is a solid $50 worth of Lemishine... https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Cit...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Jeez... went grocery shopping today too. Instead of looking in the cleaning supplies at Safeway, I probably should have just looked in the baking section!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've seen this stuff referenced a lot, but where do you buy it? I did a quick search online and just went to two Walmarts and a Lowes and came up empty. I'm beginning to think this stuff is sort of like The Holy Grail. Often spoken of, but never actually seen!

I've started to look at alternatives for wet tumbling... I've heard about staying away from ammonia containing compounds (like Brasso, etc) ... I picked up a version of Oxi Clean "Triple Action Booster" that contains Glycolic Acid and surfactants to aid in rinsing. It's also billed as a cleaning booster/dishwasher cleaner, like the elusive Lemi Clean. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

I'll likely hop on Amazon and throw more $$ at Jeff Bezos... :-/

When I tumbled my .50BMG shells I used Nufinish (the once a year car polish) and corn cob media. Really cleaned up the brass.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Like SG said, lemishine is just citric acid. It can be had most anywhere. I can check the PX if there is enough interest and help those out that may want some. Just need to know how much to get.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like SG said, lemishine is just citric acid. It can be had most anywhere. I can check the PX if there is enough interest and help those out that may want some. Just need to know how much to get.

:lol:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    On the other hand, is there a reason that citric acid would be better than glycolic acid? Now I'm curious about using Oxi-Clean...has anyone tried it?

Good question! From Organic and Bio-Chemistry, we know that citric acid is a tri-carboxylic acid (with 6 Carbons) with pka values of 3.13, 4.76 and 6.40. It's used in bacterial systems to buffer pH from about 3-7. Glycolic acid is only a 2-carbon species with a pka of 3.6. In this sense, I would expect glycolic acid to behave more like its 2-carbon cousin, acetic acid... aka vinegar. There's no indication on the packaging what concentration the glycolic acid is, but since it's being used in a household setting, I'd wager it's already pretty dilute.

Since I'm a scientist... let's experiment! I have about 100 or so 40 S&W cases that I've accumulated over the last few years... I don't shoot this caliber, so I'll send them through the wet tumble with stainless steel pins, Dawn, and Oxi-Clean... I'll see what happens...

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Good question! From Organic and Bio-Chemistry, we know that citric acid is a tri-carboxylic acid (with 6 Carbons) with pka values of 3.13, 4.76 and 6.40. It's used in bacterial systems to buffer pH from about 3-7. Glycolic acid is only a 2-carbon species with a pka of 3.6. In this sense, I would expect glycolic acid to behave more like its 2-carbon cousin, acetic acid... aka vinegar. There's no indication on the packaging what concentration the glycolic acid is, but since it's being used in a household setting, I'd wager it's already pretty dilute.

Since I'm a scientist... let's experiment! I have about 100 or so 40 S&W cases that I've accumulated over the last few years... I don't shoot this caliber, so I'll send them through the wet tumble with stainless steel pins, Dawn, and Oxi-Clean... I'll see what happens...

That might be the worst acid-base chemistry explanation from a “scientist” I’ve ever read. :lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom