• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Had a guy one time cut the hell out of his thumb in a big field one night, I had a first aid kit in the truck and had to run out and get it. (the truck) so we tied it shut with whatever we could get off his sleeve until I got to him.
    It was like 12 or 14 stitches he got over at the Hospital in Cambridge that night and i think it was opening day but he was there for a week hunting from Baltimore and it ruined his whole trip.
    I used to stash stuff in the woods when I was younger, in a polyethylene bag. Usually like a road flare, a jar of cold packed meat
    some 3/8 rope trail markers stick matches and those little foil blankets. A cheap Chinese hatchet. If you shot something decent heavy plastic sheeting made for an easier drag.
    Now you can just call it in, quarter cape and pack out with a frame. Or get the boys to do it. Thats what they're for right? I don't even think I could run across that old field anymore. This was pre four wheeler and cellphone. I don't know how we survived.
    I only go about a mile in at the Marsh anymore at tops, about a hundred yards to where the phrag starts and maybe not even that much this year.
    Getting tired of it I guess.

...or smarter. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone hunting from a tree these days should have a "harness relief strap" with them. They make great deer drags. Just make sure it ends up back in your gear.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Anyone hunting from a tree these days should have a "harness relief strap" with them. They make great deer drags. Just make sure it ends up back in your gear.

Beyond a shadow of all doubt! All the manufactures should have them with their kit, but I'm not certain they do. Hanging in a full body harness gets painful real quick. I seen a picture of a guy who got hung in the rung of the stand upside down for a short while and it was unbelievable and a miracle he even survived.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    BAH now I remember. I also keep a basic harness and drag for deer. Also a roll of reflective tape to mark trees when following a blood trail.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Beyond a shadow of all doubt! All the manufactures should have them with their kit, but I'm not certain they do. Hanging in a full body harness gets painful real quick. I seen a picture of a guy who got hung in the rung of the stand upside down for a short while and it was unbelievable and a miracle he even survived.

You can die from it too. It cuts off almost half the body's blood supply, starving the brain of oxygen rich blood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

This is why I carry a knife in a belly pack on my harness. I can 'cut out' and shinny down the tree. I lost a friend to this.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You can die from it too. It cuts off almost half the body's blood supply, starving the brain of oxygen rich blood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

This is why I carry a knife in a belly pack on my harness. I can 'cut out' and shinny down the tree. I lost a friend to this.

The old world term for "suspension trauma" was "crucifixion".

You end up dying the same way, blood pooling in your lower extremities.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've been getting questions about blood tracking flashlights.

Get the Cyan (blue - purplish) colored lights from Primos Bloodhunter (pricey) or Rayovac (inexpensive). When you hold the light to your hand, you should see the red blood cells in your hand.

Green blood tracking lights are garbage. The green light turns the red blood black on the forest floor, which becomes hard to see in leaves.

BTW, blue UV lights only work to detect pet urine, they do not work as a blood tracker. A theory would be to track a got shot deer with it, but someone needs to validate that.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been getting questions about blood tracking flashlights.

Get the Cyan colored lights from Primos Bloodhunter (pricey) or Rayovac (inexpensive). When you hold the light to your hand, you should see the red blood cells in your hand.

Green blood tracking lights are garbage. The green light turns the red blood black on the forest floor, which becomes hard to see in leaves.

BTW, blue UV lights only work to detect pet urine, they do not work as a blood tracker. A theory would be to track a got shot deer with it, but someone needs to validate that.

I use my Surefire. Granted, they only give an hour of light full on, but if I can't find him in less than an hour, I stop and come back in the morning. They show blood as red. :thumbsup:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Seek thermal offers products to help hunters find downed deer.

They offer an attachment to turn a cellular phone into a thermal imaging device (compact) for around $300. They also have a handheld thermal imager (Reveal) for $400.

Www.seekthermal.com

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I used to have a fidgeting problem after 3-4 hours in the stand. I now take an Eno portable hammock into the woods. Lets me take a cherished mid day nap, perfectly quiet.

Ive awakened on more than a few occasions to a deer blowing within 20 feet of me.....the first time startled me so bad I flipped out of the damn hammock!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use my Surefire. Granted, they only give an hour of light full on, but if I can't find him in less than an hour, I stop and come back in the morning. They show blood as red. :thumbsup:

Granted, it was a lot, but I was kind of surprised how relatively easy it was to follow the trail from the spike I arrowed opening weekend. It was actually easier to follow the trail as it got darker. The blood stood out better in my headlamp (only 180 lumens). If it was wet, it probably would have really sucked to follow it.

Only a couple of times I had to stop, look around and do a little back tracking. though it was a double lung shot and only covered 75 yards or so through really thick low stuff. A guy shot I'd imagine would have been a lot harder to track.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I used to have a fidgeting problem after 3-4 hours in the stand. I now take an Eno portable hammock into the woods. Lets me take a cherished mid day nap, perfectly quiet.

Ive awakened on more than a few occasions to a deer blowing within 20 feet of me.....the first time startled me so bad I flipped out of the damn hammock!

I often times take a book with me. Or I handle my fidget problem by going still hunting around 9-10am, break for lunch and then sit from 3 or so until last light. Now that I have a climber that'll make it harder, but I may still do that. I'll also make sure to bring a book.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I get ya about the unpacking for pix. In my case I was doing my season load-out and figured I'd snap a pic. My hunting won't start until late October.

For all you "minimalists" out there...:beer: Most guys I know who carry only the bare necessities usually seem to be the first ones out of their trees. I go in before sun up and come out after sundown most days. No matter the temps(colder is way better that warmer). I love to just sit out there and enjoy nature. :o

Nothing wrong with staying out all day long. If I were doing it I would build a real treehouse and leave all that stuff in there. But I am out for meat. Hunting is like work to me, get on, get done , and get to doing something else that's gotta get done. I shoot horns if they walk up and I shoot spots if they walk up, it all cooks , except the horns, lol.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    20 years ago my MIL gave me this ridiculous thing that was kind of like a pocket bib that fits around/in a standard bucket. It came with a padded seat that replaces the bucket lid. At the time I thought, no way in Hades I'm ever going to use this silly thing... boy was I wrong. I've used it nearly every hunting trip for the last two decades. Since I tend to hunt from the ground, it has kept my posterior warm and dry on many an unpleasant day, and all of my gear organized (without it making any noise rattling around).

I just went through it yesterday changing over from my last deep winter deer hunt and prepping for my early fall bear hunt. I don't know if I thought I was going to be butchering 2 or 3 moose in the field, but somehow, every freaking knife I own wound up in the bucket.... I thinned things out a bit :-)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Bump cuz this is a cool thread. I’m getting my pack back together to start bow hunting fir the year. I’ll bump it with pics once i get my chit together, cooking ribs now

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bump cuz this is a cool thread. I’m getting my pack back together to start bow hunting fir the year. I’ll bump it with pics once i get my chit together, cooking ribs now

Lol. I was going to cook ribs today but instead, I'm at MoGeneral ER with the wife. She has a booboo.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Awesome for St Cree for getting into bowhunting/sad to Outrider for wife. Hope all will be good, sir!

Read the thread title and wondered if I'd posted. Yep. My stands are like 80yds from my back door - so I carry in very little. When I shoot a deer, I walk back out to get the deer cart and drop off my extra clothes (winter overalls, etc).
    I may not shoot big bucks, but I like my little behind-the-house hunting gig :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Awesome for St Cree for getting into bowhunting/sad to Outrider for wife. Hope all will be good, sir!

Read the thread title and wondered if I'd posted. Yep. My stands are like 80yds from my back door - so I carry in very little. When I shoot a deer, I walk back out to get the deer cart and drop off my extra clothes (winter overalls, etc).
    I may not shoot big bucks, but I like my little behind-the-house hunting gig :D

I remember you telling me that. Good luck this year! :)

Oh and thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom