• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm reasonably sure that it IS true in Baltimore City & Baltimore County or I wouldn't have written it...

I can't prove it but it has been repeatedly written in the Sun Papers in recent years..?

In Baltimore City it certainly is.

The Baltimore City School Police are not allowed to carry in the schools. They are armed when off campus...go figure.

They went to the legislation last year to get it fixed in the law and it got shot down due to poor timing of School Police being in the news for theft, assaults, and other issues.

The current policy manual authorizes them to carry on and off duty. That's not to say that city council hasn't suspended those powers, but the current manual explicitly permits it.

Other police officers most certainly can carry on school grounds.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...10_FirearmsDirectivesAndProcedures_042413.pdf

It is the intent of the Baltimore School Police that its sworn members are properly qualified with firearms they are permitted to carry and/or use in the performance of their official duties.

School based personnel whose permanent or temporary assignment is at a school or on school property may carry a firearm on the premises of the school to which the officer is assigned before or after regular school hours on school days and on days other than school days.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Forgot to also say that we can't expect anything resembling a sensible policy to come out of either the Baltimore City Schools ever, nor the Dallas Dance-era Baltimore County Schools.

You pretty much have to exclude them when you even begin a discussion about anything education related in this state.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The current policy manual authorizes them to carry on and off duty. That's not to say that city council hasn't suspended those powers, but the current manual explicitly permits it.

Other police officers most certainly can carry on school grounds.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...10_FirearmsDirectivesAndProcedures_042413.pdf

The policy you posted covers it..."before and after regular school hours".

They arrive armed, put them in a safe, and at the end of the day gather them up.

It's been covered in many articles from WBAL to the Baltimore Sun.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'd be happy to take this training......

Even better, I'd be happy to organize similar training for md teachers in conjunction with law enforcement, etc here in md.

TD

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I have written to the Baltimore County School Resource Officers Public Relations Officer requesting the official position on Carrying their Firearm in School during their normal day to day activities...

I hope to have a formal response on Monday..?

I'll post it as soon as I get it...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have written to the Baltimore County School Resource Officers Public Relations Officer requesting the official position on Carrying their Firearm in School during their normal day to day activities...

Why bother?

The answer is Baltimore County carries in school.

Baltimore City School Police do not while school is in session.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

In addition, Baltimore County School Resource Officers are not a separate agency. They’re regular baltimore County Officers that work out of the precincts.

You probably emailed Baltimore County Public Schools Security department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Unarmed, I guess that means they're leaving the building and waiting for help to arrive. Hopefully that mindset has changed for the surrounding areas

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Getting back to the OP, sadly, this additional training will do nothing to protect the students in our schools unless the teacher is willing to put their freedom on the line.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Ammoland weighs in

Piggy-backing on what mxrider posted above, this is a good opinion piece on WHY training and arming teachers makes sense.

And why many teachers shy away from protecting their precious charges ...

Heroes in the Making to Protect Our Children

Some groups think that people are fundamentally flawed.

They think that the ordinary citizen is dangerous and only government employees should be empowered.

Only firefighters should use a fire extinguisher. Only EMTs should perform first aid. Only the police should use force to stop an attack. These groups say that trained school staff should never be armed and that the role of a good citizen is to step back and wait until government officials arrive to do their job. Some teachers said they could never protect students because they might do something wrong and might injure an innocent person by mistake.

Their dystopian vision is easy to describe, yet I still find their claims unbelievable. My friends who are firefighters taught me how to use a fire extinguisher. My doctor told me to learn first aid and CPR. Policemen told me I should take the required classes so I can be legally armed in public. They told me to do what I can until help arrives.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Good luck with that...

Cops who work in the schools are NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY...

The training is a good idea, HOWEVER the only approved defensive weapons allowed are BIC PENS & apples...

And according to my company, staplers, yeah, bring a stapler to a gun fight, that will work,,,,, to get you dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom