• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Double down the last poster on Marie's Diner.

I also like Pancake's Plus, but it's really small.

Yes, they're both diner food, but I love the ambience and it's not industrial chow.

Irons

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Bollywood Masala in Dahlgren is excellent, so I was pretty happy to hear about the new one they're opening in La Plata.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    the last 2 restaurants I've been to for dinner in la plata were galazio and red oak. both of which are good, but i don't go out to dinner all that often (my wife is of the opinion that there is no reason to eat out of you can get take out...)

I like red-oak.

Galazio used to be better when they were Ouzos and over by Walmart. Food quality has been ok but service has been between mediocre and atrocious.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Not a big Sonic fan, but I look forward to the other places opening. I do agree that is a terrible location for a Sonic. The rent must be outrageous in Rosewick Crossing. Seems like places open and close there a lot. Qdoba and Quiznos were only open like a month before shutting down.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Thank goodness we have La Tolteca here. The hot salsa that comes with the premium tacos is delicious!

On that note, I'm also hearing that the Mexican restaurant on Charles Street is barely hanging on.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Dale's has pork chops and do smoked turkey on Wednesdays. Add that in with mac & cheese and I'm comatose the rest of the day.

For the Indian Head folks, what's up with the Mexican Villa on Strauss Avenue?

You guys are getting FiOS in April.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Dale's has pork chops and do smoked turkey on Wednesdays. Add that in with mac & cheese and I'm comatose the rest of the day.

For the Indian Head folks, what's up with the Mexican Villa on Strauss Avenue?

You guys are getting FiOS in April.

Mexican Villa? You mean the abandoned building right next to the main gate? That's been closed for years. They tore it down and want to bring in food trucks for the lunchtime crowd.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Not a big Sonic fan, but I look forward to the other places opening. I do agree that is a terrible location for a Sonic. The rent must be outrageous in Rosewick Crossing. Seems like places open and close there a lot. Qdoba and Quiznos were only open like a month before shutting down.

I know the guy that owned the Qdoba. He worked for a guy that owns about 30 Burger Kings for some thing like 50 years (he's in his 70's) and knows the restaurant business. Story I got is Qdoba didn't back him like they said they were going to and left him out to dry. I think between the high rents, Chipotle, not being right on 301 and that shopping center being such a PITA to get in/out of he was doomed from the start but I don't know much about the restaurant business so that's just my guess as a consumer.

Loved the Pork Chop sandwich from Sartiks..or T&J's. What no mention of Texas Ribs in Laplata in this conversation. I know....it wasn't my favorite either. I tried to like it. Just never did.

That's my meal right there! Texas Ribs has great pulled chicken, chicken salad, beef brisket and non-BBQ options; not highest on my list for ribs. Quick tip, order by the pound and get a Kaiser roll for .75 cents extra and you get 2-3 times the meat for the same price as the sandwich.

Mexican Villa? You mean the abandoned building right next to the main gate? That's been closed for years. They tore it down and want to bring in food trucks for the lunchtime crowd.

No, there is a residential Mexican villa style house being built on Strauss Avenue sort of behind the Subway but on the north bound side of Strauss. I'm guessing it is around 6K SF and just kind of out of place. For those not from the area, there is a row of town houses you can see from here that are about 900 sf over 2 floors, most of the other houses around it are 40 years old and 1/4 the size, etc.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    I know the guy that owned the Qdoba. He worked for a guy that owns about 30 Burger Kings for some thing like 50 years (he's in his 70's) and knows the restaurant business. Story I got is Qdoba didn't back him like they said they were going to and left him out to dry. I think between the high rents, Chipotle, not being right on 301 and that shopping center being such a PITA to get in/out of he was doomed from the start but I don't know much about the restaurant business so that's just my guess as a consumer.

That's my meal right there! Texas Ribs has great pulled chicken, chicken salad, beef brisket and non-BBQ options; not highest on my list for ribs. Quick tip, order by the pound and get a Kaiser roll for .75 cents extra and you get 2-3 times the meat for the same price as the sandwich.

No, there is a residential Mexican villa style house being built on Strauss Avenue sort of behind the Subway but on the north bound side of Strauss. I'm guessing it is around 6K SF and just kind of out of place. For those not from the area, there is a row of town houses you can see from here that are about 900 sf over 2 floors, most of the other houses around it are 40 years old and 1/4 the size, etc.
    Maybe they know about some changes coming to Indian Head, that no one else does and want to get ahead of the curve.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I think I've said it before: T&J's ribs with Johnny Boy's sauce would be amazing. It's weird and gritty--very much like Arthur Bryant's sauce.

George's: why does it take so long to get your food? It wasn't like that at the old place.

Dale's: Why don't they have mac and cheese every day?

Ever notice there's a clear demographic difference between Dale's and George's customers?

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

Hmm, I've got a guy I can ask.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    It is my understanding that George's BBQ in Indian Head is behind the Spoon's Korean BBQ place going in the Rosewick Shopping Center.

One thing is for sure, George's has the best ribs I have ever had. I'm hoping this carries over to the new place.

YES I Love Georges :party29:

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    food

La Plata has needed some new food establishments in the area for quite some time. Luckily, that time has come!

Spoons Korean and American BBQ is going in the Rosewick shopping center, along with Bollywood Masala Indian Cuisine.

A Sonic fast food is going in at the corner of 301 and Port Tobacco Road and will replace the old Sunoco station.

Three Brothers pizza will be closing its doors in a week or so and will become a BBQ restaurant (I haven't heard the name yet).

Dunkin Donuts will be going in on Drury Drive near the Jerry's Sub Shop.

Nice to have choices.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I almost forgot about the Thai place going in on Drury Drive (next to Wal-Mart) at the old Ouzo location.

It's also going to be a "nightclub", so I'm imaging this is going to be the same exact scenario as the one in Waldorf with the local Police Department being burdened with endless calls for service.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Thai Palace in Waldorf is pretty good. We only do take-out and usually in the afternoon for reasons eluded to. Silver Skewers (Persian) also gets :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TheWhiteBuffalo where do you get your info from?

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Thai Palace in Waldorf is pretty good. We only do take-out and usually in the afternoon for reasons eluded to. Silver Skewers (Persian) also gets :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TheWhiteBuffalo where do you get your info from?

Silver Skewers is delicious, although one of the owners is a bit strange. I always enjoyed the green sauce that comes with certain dishes. The name of the sauce escapes me at the moment, Tandori maybe? I asked the owner if he would sell me a small cup of the sauce, because I really enjoy it. He thought about it for a moment and said "I will sell you eight ounces of the sauce for $125". He wasn't joking.

I had always heard stories about the owner, mostly from disgruntled former employees. After this interaction with him, I just never went back. It was almost insulting in a way. Was he trying to rip me off? Was I not worthy of purchasing a side of the stuff? I don't know, it was just too weird for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom