• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Many on this board think it's a bad idea - "I don't want my representative having to constantly evaluate the Constitutional potential of everything they do." Well, maybe if that bill seems kinda unconstitutional on its face, perhaps they shouldn't get behind it in the first place.

(emphasis mine)

:sarcasm:
    Isn't that the purpose of the judiciary committees? To evaluate the constitutionality of a bill and not release it if it is not constitutional?

Of course we are far from the purposes of committees these days (i.e. witness the intel committee doing the traditional work of the judiciary committee for an impeachment inquiry :sad20:)

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, the money will go to violence prevention programs. Riiiiiight. This is one reason I try to stock up, and keep stocking. I honestly think it's a matter of time before it happens here. Maryland government isn't only anti-gun, but tax hungry. They never met a tax they didn't like. But, as far as I know, they already add sales tax onto these purchases. Certain things, like luxuries are often taxed at a different rate, like alcohol and tobacco, but regardless of how much tax revenue they generate, it never seems to be enough. Always need more. The right to bear arms is, well, a right, protected by the constitution, so I agree it's like a poll tax.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Won’t this just decrease sales inside of Tacoma and encourage ffls relocate to another town?

Of course it will. The article says they are expecting about $30K/year out of this. I can't wait to see them when they get less than half of that. People will simply go elsewhere. Mail order, out of town, load your own, etc.
    Liberals are so painfully shortsighted sometimes it's actually funny.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I am not familiar with the area. Ffleasy shows 25 licensed ffl dealers in Tacoma. 3 of those are aero precision facilities, which I suspect will pack up and move to a town that doesn’t give unilateral decisions like this to 8 anti constitutionalists. According to the article that’s over 400 jobs. Hopefully the people filling those positions are able to move with the company if my suspicions are correct. I believe the small dealers will suffer the most from this which is sad.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Of course it will. The article says they are expecting about $30K/year out of this. I can't wait to see them when they get less than half of that. People will simply go elsewhere. Mail order, out of town, load your own, etc.
    Liberals are so painfully shortsighted sometimes it's actually funny.

End up losing the tax revenue the town already gets without the punitive increase. Ammo sells will go to $0 with corresponding amount in taxes.

Think about the Maryland millionaire tax - instead of a tax increase, the state lost money because enough people simply moved out of state.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It’ll encourage three things. More internet and gun show purchases. Reduced LGS business (likely a feature, but it does mean less tax revenue for the city when they get driven out of business) as well as larger purchases. If you are going to charge me $25 tax just to purchase something I am damn well buying a crap ton of ammo.

Oh and grey market sales of ammo. “Hey guys, I am headed to the store, need any ammo?”

I disagree entirely with the increased taxes beyond sales tax. That said, the purchase tax is punitive in its entirety. No idea if there are any trap or skeet facilities in the city limits of Tocoma, but you are telling me you need to buy an extra $6 box of shells and now you’ve gotta pay $31? What. The. F€£~

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ******This new law affects poor people most. I kind of feel the same way about the HQL thing here in Maryland. I got mine the first couple of days it was offered and between taking a course, paying to have the electronic fingerprints thing and other fees I think I paid about $125 or so for everything. I would imagine for someone, perhaps a single mom in a bad neighborhood wanting some protection, it would make purchasing even a cheap handgun much more expensive. I can afford the fee, but I know to many people that live paycheck to paycheck, an extra $125 increase in a product like a firearm is significant, and might keep them from being able to buy one altogether, or end up with something really crappy.

The HQL hurts the poor, who often live in not the greatest of neighborhoods, that have few amenities (except for mebbe Popeye chicken sammiches...that's certainly a plus, I don't see too many Popeyes restaurants in Potomac or Chevy Chase... ), and often live with rats (rats, Demorats, etc..) and other bad hombres.

I'll be pretty pissed if they institute an ammo tax like Tacoma here in Maryland, and will make sure to write a sternly worded letter to my Congressman - who will hopefully not be Elijah Cummings wife, or Quasi Mfume, etc...

As someone else mentioned, this type of tax is almost completely punitive in nature. It took a long time for Maryland to get like this. Hopefully, things will change for the better and the pendulum of crazy we are in now will move towards sanity.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ******This new law affects poor people most. I kind of feel the same way about the HQL thing here in Maryland. I got mine the first couple of days it was offered and between taking a course, paying to have the electronic fingerprints thing and other fees I think I paid about $125 or so for everything. I would imagine for someone, perhaps a single mom in a bad neighborhood wanting some protection, it would make purchasing even a cheap handgun much more expensive. I can afford the fee, but I know to many people that live paycheck to paycheck, an extra $125 increase in a product like a firearm is significant, and might keep them from being able to buy one altogether, or end up with something really crappy.

The HQL hurts the poor, who often live in not the greatest of neighborhoods, that have few amenities (except for mebbe Popeye chicken sammiches...that's certainly a plus, I don't see too many Popeyes restaurants in Potomac or Chevy Chase... ), and often live with rats (rats, Demorats, etc..) and other bad hombres.

I'll be pretty pissed if they institute an ammo tax like Tacoma here in Maryland, and will make sure to write a sternly worded letter to my Congressman - who will hopefully not be Elijah Cummings wife, or Quasi Mfume, etc...

As someone else mentioned, this type of tax is almost completely punitive in nature. It took a long time for Maryland to get like this. Hopefully, things will change for the better and the pendulum of crazy we are in now will move towards sanity.

You forgot to add in that most of those poor people are likely to have to take public transportation and/or a cab, Uber etc. to get to where an HQL training class is, then to their LGS and then the repeat visit 7 days later to pickup. Oh AND to get to some place to get fingerprinted.

I agree with the exemptions to the HQL training, but they also exacerbate the financial divide. Really Poor folks probably aren’t going to have a hunting license. Or a regulated firearm already, etc.

If the state was more honest in implementing it the state would provide for all of this. There would be no waiting period once you got an HQL. The fingerprinting would be free and offered through MSP. The training would be free and through MSP as well as private training providers. The HQL would be free.

We all know it’s all there is barriers to reduce how easy it is to exercise our rights.

cb51

Thank God I'm in Texas!

Ya'll need to come on down and live free. All the guns not on the roster are for sale here. The governor here has signed bills into law that now make school grounds and churches legal for gun carry. In any declared state emergency theres no need for a carry license for the duration of the emergency.

The rule about qualifying with a minimum of. 32 caliber has been dropped and you cannot qualify with a .22 if you want.

After the Walmart shooting, Governor Greg Abbott said he wants to put more guns in the hands of law abiding Texans. He's got my vote for life.

Tacoma is a hippy area, polluted by California transplants. Native Washingtonians need to fight back. Maybe open up ammo stores outside city limits?

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Makes me glad to live in Indiana, but I've never heard anyone complain about The Pittman Robertson tax....

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

Please don't hold your breath. I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Mdphotographer

Feb 10, 2009
    Frederick MD
    looks like the FFLs in Tocoma will be relocating outside the city limits. I will be surprised if they receive a dime in revenue. People will just shop outside of Tocoma

That is the whole point of the law they passed. Harassment! They want to make it so expensive to buy guns and ammo in their jurisdiction that people wont go to the trouble/expense of buying a gun and/or make the people selling guns and ammunition pack up and go elsewhere. Lets face it they could make more then $30k by leveling fines on people convicted of committing a crime using a firearm or even by asking for donations.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    If they try that in Maryland I will just go out of state to buy my ammo. Pain in the rear, but, if they want to play game, I'll play game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom