AR10/LR308 Failing to extract spent casing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Received the updated bolt on Saturday, got to try it out today. Exact same issue/problem.

Maybe the chamber is too tight or buffer is too light? I just ordered the Aero M5 Rifle length buffer kit (which has a 5.6oz buffer) to try. (The current one is their M5 carbine length with a 3.8oz buffer)

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Had a friend look at the brass from it and he said it looked "frosted" as if the chamber was really rough. So I ran a borescope down and it did "look" rough and I could see the "rings" that were imprinted into the casings in the sides of the chamber. I asked Faxon to replace the barrel and they did. (didnt really expect them to, since I had ordered it in early July)

Faxon replaced the barrel, even changed it to a 18" one on my request, it started extracting around 40% or so of the time. Then I went ahead and added a second o-ring to the extractor (despite them saying that it was not needed with the new extractor design.) and it extracted 50 out of 50 in a row. So fingers crossed it is finally fixed for good.

I should have just done that months ago... kicking myself, but at least I learned a bunch from it.

Borescope video links if anyones interested. (of the problematic/first barrel)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgsmWZV15Bw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHX8vcQcPw

A picture of some of the brass from the original barrel: (the imprint of the chamber doesnt really come out in pictures, but you can definitely see and feel it in person. Can see the extractor marks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom