• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcreynolds

Nov 4, 2015
    Tumbling 270

I had a 7x57 do this, commercial ammo through a military mauser- grouped like 20 foot circle at fifty yards; less accurate than a rock toss. I threw out the ammo, cheap gun show stuff, and went with a lighter, faster bullet and no prob any more. However, I was reading a 270 can chamber and fired in a 30-06.... as another person here mentioned. I'll bet this is your problem.

GHDIII

Mar 24, 2018
    Stop shooting that rifle. Look at the Franklin Armory Reformation. It shoots rifle ammo out of a smooth bore, 7.5 inch barrel and the rouns barely begin to tumble at 25 yards. This has nothing to do with the brand or weight of the projectiles that you are shooting. There's something severely wrong with your barrel.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    That's my thought too. A rifle tumbling at 25 yards? Something is seriously off. Wrong bullet weight for the rifling twist rates don't typically result is such a drastic imbalance.

I have seen that happen with a standard twist rate .308 barrel trying to shoot heavy subsonics.

Glad we tested it before trying to use a suppressor. All rounds at 25 yards looked like this.

I know nothing about .270 though

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe the inside of the bore has stuff that look like this inside of it.
    IMG_1339.jpg
    This crap came out of a 35 cal rifle that was almost doing the same thing and is just a small sample of the patch's that were used.

Once cleaned out it shot well.

Anyway, it looks like the guy isn't coming back to share his findings.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Maybe the inside of the bore has stuff that look like this inside of it.
    View attachment 270255
    This crap came out of a 35 cal rifle that was almost doing the same thing and is just a small sample of the patch's that were used.

Once cleaned out it shot well.

Anyway, it looks like the guy isn't coming back to share his findings.

did you run a copper removing foam or something to get that aqua color or just a generic type cleaner?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    did you run a copper removing foam or something to get that aqua color or just a generic type cleaner?

For badly crudded bores, running a patch of accelerator and then foaming in wipe-out for a couple hours has been fantastic. It was incredible to see how much stuff came out of my mosin.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I went back to the first post to double check . The OP said " he hasn't fired in years " .

The $64 question is did the rifle tumble back then , or hit point forewards , with at least somewhat acceptable accuracy ?

If the problems were with wrong chambering, incorrect bore, etc it would have been tumbling right out of the box . If previously it more or less worked , major crown damage is the only plausible cause for sudden deterioration of that magnitude .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The barrel may have been kinked from having excessive amounts of heat applied to it. This could have happened during manufacture when the barrel was rolled or having been heated to do some sort of maintenance like sweating on ramps or bands.
    It could also be extremely leaded or fouled and is grossly impacting the bullet construction. Once the bullet is free from the bore it is no longer rotating on the bores axis but must rely on its own axis to spiral after the center of mass has been mechanically altered while still in the bore. Rusty bores will do the same thing
    I think a barrel that has minor crown damage would throw fliers, if it has a gouge in it or is ovalled could be a keyhole. It could also have a bulge in it that the owner hasn't noticed yet. Doesn't look like were going to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom