• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forend install went great, 0 issues. The problem I'm having is the carrier and bolt do not want to go all the way into battery when I install the top handguard retainer gas tube onto the gun. It's almost as if the piston is being forced upward causing the tip to wedge itself somewhere in the gas tube and block. The original ak gas tube was required in order to be used with magpul's vented tube cover. The tube I already had in my possession. I was going to originally use it for for the 7.62 x39 saiga. I think I know what the problem is as evidenced by the pictures. There isn't enough room for the carrier to move through the gas tube unhindered (I think). I wanted to know yous guys's thoughts before I go using a dremel to cut away at the gas tube.

Bestow your wisdom upon me :worship:

Attachments

• 20180922_210745.jpg
      20180922_210745.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 213
    • 20180922_211211.jpg
      20180922_211211.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 179

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Gas tubes are cheap if you think that's the problem. I haven't been keeping up with the AK stuff recently but that stockset looks great.

Magpul usually does a great job of ensuring fit... so stupid question... are you sure the gas tube/hg is seated 100%?

Gas tubes are cheap if you think that's the problem. I haven't been keeping up with the AK stuff recently but that stockset looks great.

Magpul usually does a great job of ensuring fit... so stupid question... are you sure the gas tube/hg is seated 100%?

Nah, gas tube was definitely too long. The bottom of the tube, where the piston/carrier first inserts, extended past where the sight base begins FORWARD of the rear sight. Had to trim some off the front where the tube mounts to the gas block and ended up trimming too much so now I'm going to use some shims from washers to butt the tube up solid as it should be.

Attachments

• 20180924_102520.jpg
      20180924_102520.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 131

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Right on, sounds like you figured fitment out. Like I said, tubes are cheap if you want to start over. We've all had our do-overs with basement gunsmithing.

Give us a review on the stockset once you've lived with it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom