• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Today, I decided to expend some rounds that I reloaded a long time ago, in less than ideal conditions. I was interrupted several times while doing them and it was the first time that I had done any reloading. The charge that I used was also too light to cycle my P-64 reliably.

I had fired several magazines and was being careful to listen as each round fired. This particular magazine went, bang, bang, bang, poof...

I noticed both the sound and lack of recoil immediately so after clearing the gun, I removed the slide to find a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Another shooter loaned me a rod and I was able to push it out and continue shooting until the rest of those rounds were fired.

When I cleaned the gun after getting home, I inspected the barrel closely and found no damage from it's near death experience.

When I go to the range, I often wonder how those guys that are shooting as fast as they can pull the trigger would be able to keep from blowing themselves up if faced with a squib.

There is something to be said for maintaining a slower rate of fire besides increased accuracy and more efficient use of ammunition.

The rest of my handloads were done in perfect conditions with no distractions or interruptions! :party29:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A lesson learned. And I believe most of the members here have been there so we understand.

Acute awareness of each and every fired round us fundamental. Unfortunately the "average shooter" sometimes doesn't understand and practice that. That fact is why we Hooligans choose to pack up and leave the range unless we are shooting far enough away from folks we do not know.

Glad you caught it and cleared it with no complications beyond reinforcing learned basics.

:thumbsup:

I had my first (and only ) squib some 20 years ago...it made me a better and very careful ammo manufacturer. Even with my current Dillon 650 set up I visually inspect each load as I place each bullet. It is slower but I never have to worry about squib or double charges. The original squib put me in a different place mentally about reloading and it has made reloading as much fun as shooting. Of course I still dump and weigh the occasional load, check COAL's and crimp diameters..........but I don't worry much about the finished product and concentrate on enjoying shooting.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Someone once mused about how often squibs occur and how often people shoot them out with the next round without even knowing it happened. Does anyone know if there has ever been a study where people purposefully inserted a bullet halfway down a barrel and then shot it out with a live round to see if that is even possible without damage? (Not that I'm suggesting people do it as a method of removing a squib, I'm just wondering if it really happens by accident every now and then.)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    When I go to the range, I often wonder how those guys that are shooting as fast as they can pull the trigger would be able to keep from blowing themselves up if faced with a squib.
    Because unless they are shooting a revolver a squib won't cycle the action. So pulling the trigger as fast as possible or even shooting a machine gun isn't a problem UNLESS you rerack the gun and shoot again. I shoot fast at USPSA matches. If something sounds wrong and the gun stops, you stop to inspect. I've been present at two different times when a fellow competitor had a squib. The timer and some competitors yelled for a stop. Both had exited the barrel upon inspection but better safe than sorry. Both got a rerun.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    It's because gravity isn't real and the the magnetic particles in the soil slowed the projectile.

980x.jpg

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

Grats on first squib and realizing there was something wrong. While less likely, this CAN happen w/ factory ammo also. I think i have some old/bad powder so i quit using it in pistol ammo and use it only in pump shotgun loads. Every once in a while it goes POP and you see the lead come out like confetti.

The guys, (never seen a woman do it), at the range are funny. I've seen guys stand up and dump a 30 round magazine with a binary/echo trigger at 15 yards. Wait 25 minutes for reset only to find out that they had about 7 rounds on target.. the other 23 went down range.. "somewhere" but not on the paper.

For what it's worth.. MOST of the time, if there's a squib, it wont cycle to feed the next round or eject the old. The problem is when they follow this up w/ a tacti-cool SPORTS drill without really knowing what they are doing.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Someone once mused about how often squibs occur and how often people shoot them out with the next round without even knowing it happened. Does anyone know if there has ever been a study where people purposefully inserted a bullet halfway down a barrel and then shot it out with a live round to see if that is even possible without damage? (Not that I'm suggesting people do it as a method of removing a squib, I'm just wondering if it really happens by accident every now and then.)

Sounds like a great way to bulge a barrel, if not burst it. If you decide to test, take video, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom