• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Doesn't the collector license allow you to "transport your personal display" or something like that.. Basically allowing you to go more place than home->range, home->gunsmith, home->hunting.. that sort of thing??

Nope, per MSP, the designated collector letter does NOT convey thet status of collector ro anyone, it is simply to bypass the 30 day wait between handgun purchases.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Instead of starting a new topic I figured I would ask here.

I'm planning to send in my Designated Collector application once the handgun I ordered arrives at the LGS and the wait period is over. My question is regarding multiple firearm purchases as a Designated Collector. I've done a lot of digging both on here and Google searches but can't find anything besides the general Designated Collector posts on here asking what to put for the "nature of collecting activities". I assume when I order two firearms online I just go to the MDSP licensing portal and do two 77r's making sure to choose yes on the Designated Collector question? Anything else I need to do?

If you submit the paperwork for both at the same time at the dealer, both hand guns can go on the same 77R and you only have to pay $10, once.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Has anyone submitted their application lately and received their letter? I know it usually takes 30 days but was hoping people were getting them sooner. I submitted mine on 9/14 and was hoping to have it back by now since my HQL was processed in 3 days.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Has anyone submitted their application lately and received their letter? I know it usually takes 30 days but was hoping people were getting them sooner. I submitted mine on 9/14 and was hoping to have it back by now since my HQL was processed in 3 days.

Submitted mine around the same time as you and got it today so yours should be in the mail soon I would think.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Allows purchase more often than every 30 days. See below.
    Expands permitted transport under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-203(b)(5), which allows:

"(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"I

https://www.atf.gov/file/117251/download

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    How long it takes the application to be approved? Will send mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had mine in just over two weeks. However, if you send yours tomorrow it may take longer due to the holidays unless they get it by Wednesday and a miracle happens. Realistically it might be sometime after the beginning of the new year since they're going to be closed for basically half of the rest of December for weekends or holidays.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Thank you for the information. Going to get my application notarized by a bank next to work tomorrow am. And the USPS guy come and get mail around 11 so it should be there by Tuesday the latest if not then Wednesday. But we’ll see how this process goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you get antsy and need to make a multiple purchase before you receive your letter you can call the MSP and they can tell if you're in the system, if so you are good to go and don't need to wait to have the letter in hand.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Nope, per MSP, the designated collector letter does NOT convey thet status of collector ro anyone, it is simply to bypass the 30 day wait between handgun purchases.

Expands permitted transport under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-203(b)(5), which allows:

"(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"I

So, post #23 says, "Nope, per MSP, the designated collector letter does NOT convey the status of collector ro anyone, it is simply to bypass the 30 day wait between handgun purchases"

You say otherwise. Who's correct? Is someone with a Designated Collector letter considered by MD to be a "Bona fide" collector as opposed to say an FFL 03?
    Until that's clarified I'm gonna consider that Maryland would be unlikely to give neither special transportation exceptions to anyone with just a no-cost, no-fee Designated Collector letter nor consider them 'bona fide collector's"

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The definition of Bona Fide has YET to be determined in a Maryland Court of Law.

Still waiting for some damnfool to volunteer to be a test case.

Meanwhile, there is absolutely NO relationship between that mysterious bit about "bona fide collectors" and the Designated Collector status. They are entirely separate things.

Until that's clarified I'm gonna consider that Maryland would be unlikely to give neither special transportation exceptions to anyone with just a no-cost, no-fee Designated Collector letter nor consider them 'bona fide collector's"

That would be the wise course. It can only be determined in criminal court, after you are arrested and have your guns confiscated. Even then, you're going to need a good lawyer.

Much safer to rely on the "Dog Obedience Training" exception. That one is much clearer and unambiguous. Just drive with a Labrador Retriever everywhere you go.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Threeband said, not defined in statute or regulations .

Be used as evidence ? Should you be the lucky volunteer to be the test case , I'm sure your lawyer would bring up a DCL , but my armchair opinion is you would want to have a boatload of additional points to expound upon your Collecting Activities .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just last week I transported my designated collection of loaded firearms to the bank and made a withdrawal. You should have seen the look on their faces when they saw how sweet my collection was. Im a designated collector, its all good.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville

Just to clarify one more time in case someone reading this doesn;t understand. The Designated Collector letter does not give carte blanche allowance to transport regulated firearms. The status we can apply for is a "Designated Collector" but the statute quoted above explicitly says "bona fide collector." They are NOT necessarily the same. If you got stopped at a restaurant on the way home from the range, you would be hard pressed to explain to a jury how your Glock 19 counts as a "bona fide" collection and how you were planning on exhibiting it at Applebee's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom