• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Glock.

At the last CCJA tactical course, I was able to shoot a new 4G. Wow, what a sweet gun. I had heard a lot of bad things about .40s, compared to 9s, and I mentally wrote them off. The experience of shooting one changed my way of thinking.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    You realize that you just asked a question that could tie us up in knots for years? In all seriousness, the 9mm; .45acp and .40S&W are all excellent calibers, all with strengths and weaknesses. My Department arms me with a .40, so that's what I'm used to and I like. If you're really unsure, you'll have to try them all. To me, the .45's biggest issue right now is ammo availability and price.

I completely agree.

I shoot both .40 and .45 and I prefer the .45. As people have stated the .45 seems easier to handle and I can get the .45 back on target quicker than a .40. A downside to the .45's is capacity, especially single stack mags. Go with the double stack mags :thumbsup:

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Update!

So... I go into Continental and look in the rental-case. Low and behold, a brand spanking new .45 XDM. I asked the guy about it and talked a little about the .40 v .45... "What the heck, I'll give it a go and come back for the USP & Sig in the .40S&W..."

Well, after 50rds in the .45 XDM, I ended my day there. Loved it!!! That'll probably be my next pistol!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    So... I go into Continental and look in the rental-case. Low and behold, a brand spanking new .45 XDM. I asked the guy about it and talked a little about the .40 v .45... "What the heck, I'll give it a go and come back for the USP & Sig in the .40S&W..."

Well, after 50rds in the .45 XDM, I ended my day there. Loved it!!! That'll probably be my next pistol!

Although I prefer Glocks the XDM in .45 is a very fine pistol. We are very lucky to have many quality options these days in modern pistol designs. I have shot, Sigs, XDM's, GLocks, HK's and CZ's. I can honestly say that I'd enjoy owning any one of them. Not a turd in the bunch really. M@P's seem to be pretty nice, but I've never been a fan of the look or feel of them.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Yeah, I am guessing if I picked anyone of those up, I wouldn't be disappointed. Just really liked the feel of the XDM. But, I didn't give the others a chance either... I'll definitely give some of the others a spin.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Well I'll be damn...the XDm in .45...wow.

I eat my words, sir.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH

Hmmmmm, I know what I'm gonna rent this weekend! :party29:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I like that gun but it's freakin HUGE! My hands would have to be twice as big to properly grip it.

how bout a hk45 then? definately THE most comfortable 45 i've ever held. it feels as good as my p99 in the hand. 12 rnds instead of 15 though...but whatever, awesome gun.
    745001-2[1].jpg

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    You def got him though at 25 feet...niceeeee..

I held the .40 XDM today at the show...verrrryyyyy nice.... I'm going to try the .45 out for rent myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom