• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So Zirkin believes that you should lose your ability to own firearms if you are convicted of seriously annoyingly another person? Am I reading this correctly?

SB0123
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0123&stab=01&ys=2018RS

I didn't even know that this was a law.

§3–803
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=3-803&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5

I have to ask, why? I mean, I get it, to disarm us. But it’s a maximum of 90 days. That is about as low as you can go in Maryland and still have prison as a possible result. And there you’d probably need to be doing something REAL bad to get it, have a bunch of priors or it’s your 4th time in front of the judge for it.

Screw Zirkin. Only violent offenses (I’d consider domestic abuse violent) should ever result in losing your right to bear arms. Harassment isn’t violent and if it is, it is assault or battery, not harassment.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So Zirkin believes that you should lose your ability to own firearms if you are convicted of seriously annoyingly another person? Am I reading this correctly?

SB0123
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0123&stab=01&ys=2018RS

I didn't even know that this was a law.

§3–803
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=3-803&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5
    Paintrd a sign for the good Senator tonight.

9676c097d26971175b816b104a97df7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The democratic left wing progressives in GA all fit the description. Will MSI file charges??

§3–803.
    (a) A person may not follow another in or about a public place or maliciously engage in a course of conduct that alarms or seriously annoys the other:
    (1) with the intent to harass, alarm, or annoy the other;
    (2) after receiving a reasonable warning or request to stop by or on behalf of the other; and
    (3) without a legal purpose.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    They cancelled the hearing for the bump stock bill. Hm.

Someone probably realised it was a stupid unenforceable nightmare of a bill, that they'd be made to look like fools over. Showboat bills that make the legislators look bad are not beloved by the powers that be.

We can probably attribute some of their reluctance to our annual testimony on Gun Bill Day. It's always fun to bring a ray of sunshine into the dark chambers of the General Assembly.

Make no mistake: expect it to come back. If the bill were dead, it would have been labeled as "withdrawn". That hasn't happened.

My fear is that it will show up as an 11th hour amendment to a totally unrelated budget bill.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    §3–803.
    (a) A person may not follow another in or about a public place or maliciously engage in a course of conduct that alarms or seriously annoys the other:
    (1) with the intent to harass, alarm, or annoy the other;
    (2) after receiving a reasonable warning or request to stop by or on behalf of the other; and
    (3) without a legal purpose

I assume the carve out at the end is so the Press can dog people? Carry a Press Pass..

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    My fear is that it will show up as an 11th hour amendment to a totally unrelated budget bill.

MD Constitution, Article III, Section 29
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/03art3.html
    The style of all Laws of this State shall be, "Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Maryland:" and all Laws shall be passed by original bill; and every Law enacted by the General Assembly shall embrace but one subject, and that shall be described in its title; and no Law, nor section of Law, shall be revived, or amended by reference to its title, or section only; nor shall any Law be construed by reason of its title, to grant powers, or confer rights which are not expressly contained in the body of the Act; and it shall be the duty of the General Assembly, in amending any article, or section of the Code of Laws of this State, to enact the same, as the said article, or section would read when amended. And whenever the General Assembly shall enact any Public General Law, not amendatory of any section, or article in the said Code, it shall be the duty of the General Assembly to enact the same, in articles and sections, in the same manner, as the Code is arranged, and to provide for the publication of all additions and alterations, which may be made to the said Code.

Emphasis mine

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    MD Constitution, Article III, Section 29
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/03art3.html

Emphasis mine

It's a right w/o redress for us. The MGA is expected to police itself and adhere to this, and punish themselves if they don't. If there's no mechanism to adjudicate and nullify a bill post-passage (as if the MGA leadership would rule it out of order before it passes), the rules aren't worth the paper they're written on.
    Anyone here think the Maryland Court of Appeals would actually nullify a law passed by the MGA that contained multiple, unrelated issues? Really?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's a right w/o redress for us. The MGA is expected to police itself and adhere to this, and punish themselves if they don't. If there's no mechanism to adjudicate and nullify a bill post-passage (as if the MGA leadership would rule it out of order before it passes), the rules aren't worth the paper they're written on.
    Anyone here think the Maryland Court of Appeals would actually nullify a law passed by the MGA that contained multiple, unrelated issues? Really?

Yes. It has happened before.

Like, as in it the most commonly litigated section of the MD constitution before MD courts.
    https://scholarworks.law.ubalt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1687&context=ublr

I’d assume since it is the most common, that people are successful in their suits from time to time.

Many states have similar language (federal does not). Same deal.

Also see the section on mandatory 3 readings. That said, on the later requirement, they absolutely DO cram in the required readings at the 11th hour sometimes. Which is also sometimes why a law fails to pass because they don’t get the readings done in time before Sine Die.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Like, as in it the most commonly litigated section of the MD constitution before MD courts.
    https://scholarworks.law.ubalt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1687&context=ublr

I’d assume since it is the most common, that people are successful in their suits from time to time.

Also see the section on mandatory 3 readings. That said, on the later requirement, they absolutely DO cram in the required readings at the 11th hour sometimes. Which is also sometimes why a law fails to pass because they don’t get the readings done in time before Sine Die.

The MGA is about the most lawless legislature of the 51, a decided penchant for not following either constitution.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Very interesting read, thanks for the link. The paper does emphasize that:

"Accordingly, Maryland courts liberally construe
    statutes and their titles when faced with a litigant challenging
    the applicable statute under the one-subject rule. This method of
    construing legislation challenged under the one-subject rule caused scholars to observe that "only a very small proportion of the laws so attacked have been held invalid."
    Deference to legislative will, despite
    mandatory constitutional provisions, has received bitter dissenting
    rebukeY This deference to the legislature might even explain
    the dearth of recent precedent supporting challenges asserted
    under the descriptive-title prong of the one-subject rule.

and

The one-subject rule forbids an illicit amalgamation of disparate items. However, it does not forbid joinder that can be justified under a convenient umbrella of items which do not cause one to choke when the claim of incongruity is made.

Of the three cases cited, one found against the law, the second found against another substantially similar law, and in the third case, the statue was upheld. Those two all-encompassing words "public safety" are applied to many bills, and could easily justify rolling firearms legislation into pretty much any public safety bill as a matter of "public safety".
    M&M have been doing their thing for a very long time, and know how to get just to the edge of what's sustainable against a court challenge.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very interesting read, thanks for the link. The paper does emphasize that:

"Accordingly, Maryland courts liberally construe
    statutes and their titles when faced with a litigant challenging
    the applicable statute under the one-subject rule. This method of
    construing legislation challenged under the one-subject rule caused scholars to observe that "only a very small proportion of the laws so attacked have been held invalid."
    Deference to legislative will, despite
    mandatory constitutional provisions, has received bitter dissenting
    rebukeY This deference to the legislature might even explain
    the dearth of recent precedent supporting challenges asserted
    under the descriptive-title prong of the one-subject rule.

and

The one-subject rule forbids an illicit amalgamation of disparate items. However, it does not forbid joinder that can be justified under a convenient umbrella of items which do not cause one to choke when the claim of incongruity is made.

Of the three cases cited, one found against the law, the second found against another substantially similar law, and in the third case, the statue was upheld. Those two all-encompassing words "public safety" are applied to many bills, and could easily justify rolling firearms legislation into pretty much any public safety bill as a matter of "public safety".
    M&M have been doing their thing for a very long time, and know how to get just to the edge of what's sustainable against a court challenge.

Absolutely. However trying to put it in the budget, or wrapping it in to a transportation bill would almost certainly fail before the courts.

And they’d still need to hold the three hearings on it. I am not sure what the hearing requirement is if a bill is changed in regards to amendments. I think amendments also need to have a public hearing (but the requirement may only be one hearing or something).

So it isn’t impossible to slip something in, but it takes a bit of doing and a lot of members have to be on board to get it done.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Absolutely. However trying to put it in the budget, or wrapping it in to a transportation bill would almost certainly fail before the courts.

And they’d still need to hold the three hearings on it. I am not sure what the hearing requirement is if a bill is changed in regards to amendments. I think amendments also need to have a public hearing (but the requirement may only be one hearing or something).

So it isn’t impossible to slip something in, but it takes a bit of doing and a lot of members have to be on board to get it done.

If a bill is added to another bill as an amendment, there is no requirement for further public hearings. This applies to both committee amendments and floor amendments in both chambers. As such, the amended bill does not need to start over again and have a 1st, and subsiquent reading in either chamber.

As we saw last year, with the delayed CCW training bill that was well on it's way to passing (It passed the House, and made it out of Judicial Proceedings in the Senate), Senator Madaleno added his HPRB removal bill to this one as a floor amendment, that was approved. The bill then had to go back to the House for their consent, which they did not give, and it went to conference committee, only to die entirely. No new readings, no new public hearings or comments.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Has anyone laid eyes on the "Definition of Transfer" Bill yet? Rumor Dumais is dropping one, which could make a loan a transfer. Luckily NRA range is in Virginia.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Zirkin has filed 4 or 5 gun bills that I saw. Expanding penalties, right of the state to appeal a dismissal, electronic surveillance for gun crimes owners....

Seemed like a lot of legislative masturbation - feels good to him, does not produce anything - since as far as I could tell, the state can already do most of the things proposed.

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    Makes me wonder what the hell they're up to. :sad20::sad20:

I suspect it’s because the mothers demanding actions crowd couldn’t schedule their facials on a different day, so they moved the bill to a day they could be there.

Expect a surprise announcement of a new date.....a date they picked a while ago and kept to themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom