• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Growing up as a kid in the 70's, my best friend parents were deaf. I was damn near fluent with sign language from being immersed over their house. I remember flashing lamps when the phone would ring and the big ass dinosaurs of tty machines they had.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Growing up as a kid in the 70's, my best friend parents were deaf. I was damn near fluent with sign language from being immersed over their house. I remember flashing lamps when the phone would ring and the big ass dinosaurs of tty machines they had.

I remember the TTYs and the bright ass light, lol. My grandmother is deaf and one of my aunts is profoundly deaf.

GA

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Very good discussion. I like what I see here. TTY is outdated. Now we have video phones, it is more of a web cam based of technology and if I call a hearing person through video phone, I will be connected to video relay service interpreter who may be certified or not certified then they relay the call for me to the hearing caller(s). If you have any questions about deaf culture or sign language, just reach out to me whenever. I would like to teach ASL classes once in a while so you people can have the fundamental of ASL meaning learn the basics! Now it makes me more motivated to get the BIT certification done sooner and just teach in ASL or spoken English to anyone.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    It is not discriminatory however my point is I just wanted to see if there is any NRA teacher(s) in MD or in the USA itself. Probably not, I may be the first one but who knows? Again like everyone said, it is a benefit for me or whomever is certied to teach about gun itself. It is challenging but once there is a support system in place everything else will flow smoothly. Good responses from everyone once again.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    what difference does it make if the instructor is deaf?

Having a deaf/hard of hearing instructor can also add lessons and techniques for self defense/concealed carry for those with missing/diminished sense of hearing abilities and the limitations associated with this via the instruction by experts who are deaf/hard of hearing. Coming from experts who share the same hearing concerns, special techniques and lessons can be better addressed because of their life experiences with loss of hearing vs an instructor who can hear well trying to teach generic lessons to hearing people and deaf/ hard of hearing people and using interpreters.

I see this as an advantage to have an instructor such as Silent is seeking to be and is asking about due to what I said above.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Having a deaf/hard of hearing instructor can also add lessons and techniques for self defense/concealed carry for those with missing/diminished sense of hearing abilities and the limitations associated with this via the instruction by experts who are deaf/hard of hearing. Coming from experts who share the same hearing concerns, special techniques and lessons can be better addressed because of their life experiences with loss of hearing vs an instructor who can hear well trying to teach generic lessons to hearing people and deaf/ hard of hearing people and using interpreters.

I see this as an advantage to have an instructor such as Silent is seeking to be and is asking about due to what I said above.

I noticed your redundancy saying deaf/hard of hearing people, twice.
    So is the correct term now to say deaf/hard of hearing people?

There's a difference between what a deaf instructor can add to a class outline and the actual logistics of teaching the class.
    Not sure how one can sign while trying to show technique. Would make for a very long class signing, stopping, and then showing an example. I think best scenario would be partner instructors with one who can sign along with the other instructor.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

There's a difference between what a deaf instructor can add to a class outline and the actual logistics of teaching the class.
    Not sure how one can sign while trying to show technique. Would make for a very long class signing, stopping, and then showing an example. I think best scenario would be partner instructors with one who can sign along with the other instructor.

Co-instructing is common in both worlds. Good idea.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    The best scenario for a deaf/hh (hard of hearing) instructor to teach class is to co-teach with a instructor who knows ASL (doesn't matter if he/she is deaf/hh) however the length for the class may be a hour or two longer due to questions being answered and teach them techniques. If I was certified, I already have a few instructors in mind that I would ask to partner up with me. But I really would like if everyone knew the basic of ASL because it will get you far with teaching classes in general. I do agree with the last couple responses above my post. It is a challenge because if I can do it then anyone can do it. Just do not give up on goals.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Or:
    Special Forces
    Delta Force
    Former SEAL
    Marine Force Reconaissance
    Retired local Law Enforcement
    Retired Federal Law Enforcement
    Retired State Law Enforcement
    Female
    Black
    Actual African American (South Boer descendant)
    Competition Shooter
    IT Admin for a bank

None of ^^^that^^^ matters either but if it distincts you from the competition why not accentuate it?

For some reason I read that as "competent shooter", which does kinda matter.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Blaster, I wasn't after saying anyone's input is right or wrong, nor making a point of correct or not correct terminology or semantics or other reason I said deaf/hard of hearing twice or however many times I did. I simply meant to include deaf who cannot hear at all, and hard of hearing who are the folks with a degree of diminished hearing for whatever reason caused it. Then offered a potential advantage of an instructor who shares this status to others in like positions.

No worries here and no hostility or argumentative intention of my replying to your question either, Blaster. If I am vague or incoherent, I am a little fatigued from a back injury and the recent passing of a relative.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster, I wasn't after saying anyone's input is right or wrong, nor making a point of correct or not correct terminology or semantics or other reason I said deaf/hard of hearing twice or however many times I did. I simply meant to include deaf who cannot hear at all, and hard of hearing who are the folks with a degree of diminished hearing for whatever reason caused it. Then offered a potential advantage of an instructor who shares this status to others in like positions.

No worries here and no hostility or argumentative intention of my replying to your question either, Blaster. If I am vague or incoherent, I am a little fatigued from a back injury and the recent passing of a relative.

No apology needed my friend. I really wish there was a sarcasm font. Guess I could have put a smiley or something. We're just trying to reach for the right terminology here. :)
    Sorry about your relative. Just had a close friend pass this Wednesday. Things are tough all over.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks Blaster, yup, she was my dear Aunt, a true gem of a salt of the earth lady. Basically an adopted orphan if I remember right. Despite humble beginnings and humble working class stature with my Uncle and 3 cousins, she treated me like a king whenever I'd visit. She was great to always enjoy fishing with myself and my Uncle, going to tractor pulls, state fairs, dirt track car races, you name it. If it was fun, Aunty loved it.

SSGRosa

May 31, 2013
    Pasadena
    I'm a NRA certified rifle instructor and I'm deaf. But, I wasn't born that way and don't know sign language. I use a cochlear implant to hear instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom