Attachments

• DIY_Night_Vision_Rifle.jpg
      DIY_Night_Vision_Rifle.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 553
    Last edited:

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    Night vision unit, battery pack, clamp on accessory rail and flashlight. Hope to be testing it soon. Cheapest "real" NV unit I've seen is about $600. Did this for well under $100. We'll just have to see if it works.

Last edited:

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    I've been piecing together my NV unit. Can you list all you have there?

You want me to divulge my intellectual property?!?!?!:lol2::lol2::lol2:

It's actually a Spy Gear NV camera I think good for about 50', the rifle about 50 yrds. The battery pack slides on the top of it. The scope is a 4 X which is too much magnification for it, I believe: only needs to be 2 X or 3 X, IMO. You have to take the eye piece out or you'll have even more, too much magnification. The clamp on acc rail just happened to work with the pocket clip of the batter pack. Then it's just one scope mount ring with the 850 IR light mounted in it.

Haven't tested it night time shooting yet...the NV part that is. With a 19.??g pellet, it shot about 675 fps, 13.??g went about 765fps Don't know about the Crosman Penetrators. But @ 25 - 30 yards I can put a pellet in a half inch hole! And yes it's quiet because it's sub-sonic but you can hear the DOIIING of the spring.

Also note: the IRs in the camera are not enough, hence the add-on. But the setup is really best left to your imagination!

Hope this helps!!!

Attachments

• SGNV.jpg
      SGNV.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 318
    Last edited:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    You want me to divulge my intellectual property?!?!?!:lol2::lol2::lol2:

It's actually a Spy Gear NV camera I think good for about 50'. The battery pack slides on the top of it. The scope is a 4 X which is too much magnification for it, I believe: only needs to be 2 X or 3 X, IMO. You have to take the eye piece out or you'll have even more, too much magnification. The clamp on acc rail just happened to work with the pocket clip of the batter pack. Then it's just one scope mount ring with the 850 IR light mounted in it.

Haven't tested it night time shooting yet...the NV part that is. With a 19.??g pellet, it shot about 675 fps, 13.??g went about 765fps Don't know about the Crosman Penetrators. Buta @ 25 - 30 yards I can put then in a half inch hole! And yes it's quiet because it's sub-sonic but you can hear the DOIIING of the spring.

Also note: the IRs in the camera are not enough, hence the add-on. But the setup is really best left to your imagination!

Hope this helps!!!

Your OP says you have a 850 lumen illuminator. I suspect you mean 850nm, which is the IR iluminator sweet spot wavelength. IR illuminators arent rated in lumens (visible light) because they arent visible.

Try a better illuminator, like a t-20 IR off amazon or ebay. They work very well.

If you want a better digital setup for use on airguns (traditional image tube NV is a no no on air guns because of the recoil impulse) check out the night vision forum uk.
    http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewforum.php?f=3
    There are lots of airgunners in the UK, and they fairly simple and effective homebrew digital NV setups using off the shelf budget parts.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    I think I got that from another flashlight type. Maybe thinking I knew some impressive lingo. Like a rifleman or something. See, learn something new every day!!! :lol2::lol2::lol2: It does help a little more than the built in IRs and that 20 you mentioned might even give you a little bit more range. But I am anxious to test it out!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom